The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Newfoundland experts---is this photoshopped?

That picture can't be true, can it??

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/pet/3572937700.html

Without commenting on the dog itself, I don't think it's photoshopped, it's just a trick of perspective with the dog closer to the camera than the person.

If you've seen a picture of a guy holding a large snake draped over a shovel -- same thing, the snake looks like it's twice as long as the guy is tall because he's holding it out towards the camera, while he is further back.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

That picture is deceiving, with the groomer at the very back of the grooming table and the dog sitting at the front of it--the dog is much closer to the camera.

A 230 lb Newfie is a bit of a stretch...the AKC standard has the males from 130 to 150. But dogs do get too big, and there are some people think it's fun to breed the biggest to the biggest and get gigantic puppies, so maybe?

No idea, but this "breeder" should know its BerNESE Mtn. Dog. Burmese are cats. No "Bermese", unless the cat and dog had some children.

2 members found this post helpful.

Illusion of perspective, I agree. Ugh it really annoys me when obviously poor breeders (ignorant, not breeding for the benefit of... anything) call it an "adoption fee"... no, that's a purchase price. But adoption sounds so much warmer and fuzzier than buying an animal!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Illusion of perspective, I agree. Ugh it really annoys me when obviously poor breeders (ignorant, not breeding for the benefit of... anything) call it an "adoption fee"... no, that's a purchase price. But adoption sounds so much warmer and fuzzier than buying an animal!
    They have to say adoption fee or rehoming fee as "selling" is not allowed on Craigslist for pets. But they really are selling. I don't know about other locations, but we are overrun with backyard breeders here, especially for pitbulls and pitbull mixes. I think it's because of the poor economy and people are trying to make a buck. Also lots of puppy flippers.

Joanne, you're right I had forgotten about those Craigslist policies. I know it's semantics for most selling dogs online!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Newfies can get huge, probably camera angle and a really, really big dog.
    I LOVE my Chickens!