The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cats--adverse reactions to vaccines: when to call vet

I had my two mostly outdoor cats vaccinated yesterday. Due to moving, I went to a new vet (whom my mom recommended). He gave both cats rabies, leukemia, and distemper vaccinations. Previously, my cats had only been given rabies and distemper, and they received those at separate times, so this was their first time receiving multiple vaccinations at one time.

They barely touched their dinner last night and had zero interest in breakfast this morning, which is NOT like them. They've also been sleeping in the same spot since around 11pm. Normally these cats are very active and wanting to go outside to play. Their gums seem a little pale and they are just VERY lethargic.

I know that vaccines can cause loss of appetite and lethargy--but is there a point where you should call the vet? They literally have not moved off their blanket all day, which is worrisome.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I would call your vet and just explain the behavior like you did here.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I would call your vet , like right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I had my two mostly outdoor cats vaccinated yesterday. Due to moving, I went to a new vet (whom my mom recommended). He gave both cats rabies, leukemia, and distemper vaccinations. Previously, my cats had only been given rabies and distemper, and they received those at separate times, so this was their first time receiving multiple vaccinations at one time.

They barely touched their dinner last night and had zero interest in breakfast this morning, which is NOT like them. They've also been sleeping in the same spot since around 11pm. Normally these cats are very active and wanting to go outside to play. Their gums seem a little pale and they are just VERY lethargic.

I know that vaccines can cause loss of appetite and lethargy--but is there a point where you should call the vet? They literally have not moved off their blanket all day, which is worrisome.
    Multiple vaccines at one go is CHEAPER but that is the only positive: in terms of optimum immune response, it is a very poor choice, in terms of increased chance of vaccinosis (a major issue in cats - make sure that your vet is using the distal limbs - which can then be amputated - rather than the body for feline vaccines; with 3 vaccines, I'd expect 2 rear limbs & right shoulder), it is a very poor choice ...
    (it took years & thousands of cat deaths for the vaccine site recommendations to be changed on cats)

Davis offers a decent summary article

Ideal vaccine protocol is individual vaccines at 3-5 week intervals until the series is completed, obviously this is not practical for shelters or ferals.

I'd be concerned with the pale gums & continued lack of appetite - if you can't entice them to eat at all, I'd go back to your regular vet (or look for a Feline Practioner in your area), it's likely they are also not drinking.
    Fasting in cats can precipitate hepatic lipidosis (significantly higher incidence in overweight, dry fed cats that are 7-9 years & older) so it's generally recommended to not allow more than 24h between meals (obviously there are many exceptions).

Right now your cats are doing what cats that are not feeling well, do - if you see no improvement 12 hours post vaccine, I'd be concerned, no improvement 24 hours post vaccine & I'd be going to emerge: some people are more comfortable with the wait & see , if that's not you, starting fluid support sooner is always cheaper

Well I'm a more 'better safe than sorry' girl, so I took Lola to the emergency vet. Rooster was moving around and eating so I left him home.

Lola got sub q fluids, steroids and Benadryl. The vet also noticed when taking his temp that he had a tape worm. UM that made me realize that his vet yesterday NEVER took his temp. Even when I asked about worms/dewormer, they didn't check. Needless to say, I'll be calling that vet on Monday to tell them they dropped the ball........

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad I took him to the vet!

Maybe they didnt. Tapes are internal, and its only sometimes that they come out to say "Hi". Temperatures dont show you tapes unless they are making their way out. Fecals do however. I would also ask about flea medication if your cat has tapeworms. They can come from mice or fleas, depending on the type.

Hope your kitty feels better soon!

Squish, I was hoping you'd chime in! The vet definitely didn't take temps at the check up yesterday and didn't do a fecal, even when I asked about worms (since they're mainly outdoor cats and have been treated for worms before). I didmt even think to ask since the vet was busy explaining vaccine stuff to me. I will surely pay better attention next time. I need to be my cats advocate!

I'd think that the tape that was on his butt was there yesterday since he did not poop between the appt with the vet and the emergency vet. He didn't even move off the couch, actually, but I suppose it could have come out. Regardless, I'll be asking for a fecal from now on!

It scares me that this is the vet my mom uses for her cats since they're mostly outdoor as well. She doesn't ask for fecals to be done, but I have now informed her that she should look into it.

Again, thank you guys for directing me to the vet. I'm so used to having horse problems--I really need to get more informed about my cats!

Oh, and Squish-- can you tell WHERE your cat got the tapeworm from a fecal? E vet said she didn't see any fleas (neither have I) and its been 15 degrees here! They are also frontlined in warmer months. They do kill quite a few mice, moles, birds, rabbits, etc.

Tapeworms frequently do NOT show up in fecals. However segments will crawl out the butt at any time. Sometimes you will see dried tapeworm segments in the cats sleeping areas or attached to the fur under the tail. The dried version reminds me of small grains of rice, the live still moist version is a little rectangular flat ribbed segment.

I do think the vet should have taken the temperature before giving vaccines. I didn't think it was a good idea to give any mammal a vaccine when they are running a fever or otherwise not healthy.
    There are other worms that can be be detected in a fecal, such as roundworm and hookworm. So a fecal should have been done two.

My cats are big hunters and most likey get tapeworm from killing and eating mice and stuff. They are all on a good flea preventative rotation. The one cat that never goes out and hunts does not get tapeworm.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.