The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need stallion suggestions for my special mare.

My mare is going to be 10 next year and she really is a super mare and I would be more than happy to get an exact duplicate. I would like to do an ET , so would prefer a stallion with proven fertility. Fresh or frozen would be ok. She is by Bugatti, out of a TB mare.

Strengths Premium mare with ISR, RPSI, approved AHS with MPT of 8.27.- unbelievable temperament and rideability . MPT scores of 9 for walk and trot and rideability. 7.5 for jump. Showing 4th level, schooling PSG. scores in the upper 60's @ 3rd with adult ammie. Evented and won @ training level.
    Weaknesses - built downhill, could use a longer leg, canter needs more jump.

Would like to add uphill, longer leg, better canter and still have some jumping blood in there without losing gaits. She is only 15.2, but really wide. I don't need anything huge.

This will probably be my last dressage horse, so I want something that I'll be able to ride 10 years from now, when the ground will be even further away than it is now. Temperament is still important, but hopefully the foal will be like Mom.

Call me spoiled but I love all of my Dressage Royal offspring. Sweet sweet sweet , pretty and talented.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I bred two foals from Concerto Grosso from one mare last year (one ET, one she carried herself). Two shipments of semen, two pregnancies, and babies were born eight days apart. He seems to be super fertile. Semen looked average to good under a microscope but his conception rates speak for themselves.

Foals are just super easy going and fun. The colt was a huge improvement on the mare in terms of uphill build (mare is very hunter type). The filly takes after mom more but still got improvement in terms of gaits and suspension.

I was starting with a correct mare with a fantastic jump, but her tendency is to be a little hunter-ish (That's what she was bred for). I picked CG based on 1) proven great fertility because I was also doing ET, 2) nice uphill movement with a great canter/gallop and 3) his reputation for producing amateur friendly athletic horses.
    Last edited by JWB; Oct. 14, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Sir Donnerhall......
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

1 members found this post helpful.

My first thought was Don Hill...just for the mind and good movement. That would double you up on Donnerhall further back so you might not get the modern length of leg....but there is blood too.

I think I would call Natalie at Hilltop. She'd have a good idea what lines are crossing well on Bugatti mares.

I know his is young and unproven...but I loved their new stallion Sternlitcht. I'm thinking of him for one of mine in 2014.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    My first thought was Don Hill...just for the mind and good movement. That would double you up on Donnerhall further back so you might not get the modern length of leg....but there is blood too.

I think I would call Natalie at Hilltop. She'd have a good idea what lines are crossing well on Bugatti mares.

I know his is young and unproven...but I loved their new stallion Sternlitcht. I'm thinking of him for one of mine in 2014.
    Given my lack of WB knowledge, take this with a huge dose of salt, but you might want to look at Royal Prince. He's produced at least one nice event horse, although I don't know if it has held up or what it's done this year, but Doug Payne had it last year. Horse's name is Royal Tribute and he was second at the CCI 1* at Bromont last year; hasn't done so well this year, and didn't start to compete until August. I think he may still be at Prelim.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Given my lack of WB knowledge, take this with a huge dose of salt, but you might want to look at Royal Prince. He's produced at least one nice event horse, although I don't know if it has held up or what it's done this year, but Doug Payne had it last year.
    She is looking more for dressage I believe. I have a lovely 2013 filly by Royal Prince who could go in any direction. He is very nice and does produce some versitle horses.

Another out of the box suggestion would be Royaldik. We should be able to get frozen from him for next year. I was impressed when I saw him in person. Very nice type. I've known a few other offspring of Royal Diamonds and liked them. It would double up on the Rubinstein which may be better than the Donnerhall for what the OP is looking to produce. And they are saying Royaldik improves the canter (he had a lovely canter)---and he can certainly jump but he moved extremely well.

I'm hoping to use him on one of my TBs for an event offspring but he should produce an UL dressage horse as well given his pedigree and what I saw of him.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

...uphill with longer leg, good canter...
    These are hallmarks of Sandro Hit and sons, and there are plenty of them in North America. Ones with jumper blood in the damline include Schroeder (Escudo I dam), Soprano (Contender dam), Sagnol (Landadel dam), Sandro's Heir (Castro dam), Sure Hit (Furioso II dam). Most of the Sandro Hit sons are pretty tall (Sure Hit is one of the smaller ones), but they tend to be more on the narrow side, rather than huge, wide horses.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I just went to Hilltop and looked at their stallions and was just blown away by Lord Leatherdale. What a lovely, light, creature he is compared to some of their hulking stallions. And he is very low in blood, so one wonders where the lightness comes from.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Take a look at Schroeder (Sandro Hit x Escudo I). Excellent fertility. Leggy, refined, super character. Just won his 4th level regional championships and will be at the National Championship in KY Nov 7-9. He just started competing PSG and received 66% on his first time. He will be in Wellington this year too starting after KY. Super canter and can jump too! Approved all those registries.http://www.majesticgaits.com/image/s...lShow2013n.jpg
    Photo by Carole MacDonald
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst