The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a slow feeder

My mare is on a controlled exercise routine due to a suspensory injury. I just have to say, thank goodness I can take her for a quick walk!

Anyways, I would like to get her a feed that will take her a little longer to eat. I also board, so want it to be conveniant for the BO as well. The one I was looking at was the Health EZ Feeder http://www.healthezhayfeeder.com/ . Has anyone used this? Some of the reviews said that it did not last very long, but some were good too.

The other would be some sort of nylon feeder, like this : http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/2400/HB1827 My concern with this one is that there is no one to remove it when my horse is done and I'm sure that she would chew on it. Same goes for a mesh type bag.

Thoughts?

Try the freedom feeder hay net from Smartpak. Easy to fill and hang. Definitely slows my fella down.

The EZ feeder does not hold up to horses that are abusive to it. But lasts for horse gentle on it like seniors (well some seniors...not my old Chip).

The second bag does not hold up at all. I use them only in the horse trailer.

I bought several Tuff One small hole hay nets 2 yrs ago for $4 off a summer end clearance shelf. The string broke on one, but that was an easy fix. My old gelding gets nasty with these bags and he has yet to break one. Best $4 I ever spent.

Try the nibble net!

Just wondering if anyone had issues with a horse chewing the feeders. My mare like to chew on things that are hanging near her stall, such as fly masks, etc.

Default I have 2 blue ones for you, never been used

bought these at a tradeshow and decided not to use them. If you are interested, you can PM me.

PKN

1 members found this post helpful.

Sent you a PM, pheasantknoll!

I've not had any issues with chewing...my horse does not chew on things inside his stall though, just outside :/

I personally love my Freedom Feeder, but I have heard good things about nibble nets and cinch chix.

I wouldn't want something hard like the product from the first post...for some reason that makes me nervous.

I had the ez feeders for two horses. One lasted fine, but didn't really slow him down much. The other horse broke his within a few months (used only 1x a day for his night feeding to try to make the hay last longer). I'm using small mesh hay nets now and they've worked the best for slowing them down, and are cheap and durable. Works well for the IR horse that needs his hay weighed and soaked as I weigh it in the net and soak the whole thing.

I've got the DIY kit from http://www.grazingbox.com/

Super easy to use!