The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Free Belgian / Standardbred

I was referred to these forums from FB. I am hoping to place this guy in a safe home. I have talked to a couple rescues and they suggested putting him down. I really don't want to go that route but I don't want him hurt either.
    http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...r=1&free=1&p=3

he is a cutie. bumping up hoping for a home tho it may be kinder to put him down as he is blind. I know my girlfriend had a blind horse, but he eventually had to be put down.

Omg! I had a blind horse for years! She relied on her other senses just fine. I also had a seeing eye horse that led her everywhere. Do not give up!
    Heidi A. Lord
    Fast First Farm Richlands, NC
    Facebook: fastfirstfarm

I want him! I'd take him in a heartbeat if I had a way to get him here. My fiance and I, and my trainer all have a super soft spot for drafties.

He's beautiful! I also had a totally blind horse for years and she was amazing! Pete sounds like a sensible fellow who will do just fine in the right home. Wish I could take him....
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    He's beautiful! I also had a totally blind horse for years and she was amazing! Pete sounds like a sensible fellow who will do just fine in the right home. Wish I could take him....
    I agree We have the space.. just need the transport

OP and Zafirah why don't you meet in the middle and switch the horse off or organize a convoy of friends between you two???????????????????? It's not that far OH to NC

2 members found this post helpful.

That is exactly what I'm thinking, and I know COTH has a good record with grouping up people to transport horses. I have access to a trailer, though due to issues with the truck I wouldn't feel comfortable asking to borrow it for a long time. If we can organize a convoy, we'll give that pretty boy a home! I'm sure my trainer won't mind a sweet old drafty joining the crew

I would be happy to work on the convoy. I have truck and trailer but a bit nervous about the distance on with my truck right now. But I can easily take the first leg. Pete hauls great, just give him hay I will also see if there are any shippers heading that way, I don't have alot of $ right now but want to see him safe.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure how far the distance is, but if you take the first leg and I (or my trainer) take the last, we can probably do pretty well! Just have to put a battery in the silly truck and check over everything else (oh the joys of being a mechanic!) I'm in the same boat, my $ is very limited until my check comes in, but if we can get some soft hearted fellow COTHers in with us, I think we can keep the costs minimal I'll check with a few friends of mine and see if they know of anyone coming your way.

On a side note, can Pete navigate a pasture if he's shown the fence line a few times?

1 members found this post helpful.

If the pasture has wood fence would be best. He has trouble with wire and strangely corral panels. Normally he just walks around eating, he doesn't try to run through things, he's just large. He has been in a small alleyway with wood on one side, the barn on the other and two sides of corral panels. When we put him in the indoor he walks in to the panels but can see the walls

The entire pasture is wood fencing so that should work great! I honestly think he will fit in perfectly here, and I know everyone is going to love him! I'm working really hard on the transportation aspect, so far I'm coming up with nothing. Have you heard of any helpers on your end?

Can one of you come up with directions to the new destination so that others can see the path of travel and maybe help?

Good luck!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Thanks everyone! I will work up the directions and start checking with some friends.

Good idea! I didn't think of that!

According to Google Maps, the travel route should be something close to

Starting in(an approximate location) Ohio, hit I-70 E to I-75 S toward Dayton, then Us-35 E toward Xenia, and US-35 E/US-50 E(Jackson/Athens) to US-35 S (entering West Virginia). Once in WV it should be I-64 E towards Charleston, Merge onto I-64 E and continue onto I-77 S (entering Virginia). Follow signs for I-77 S/ I-81 N/ US-52 S/ Charlotte NC/Roanoke and follow I-77 S/I-81 N. Take exit 81 to merge onto I-77 S toward Charlotte Nc (entering NC), slight right to stay on I-77 S (signs for Statesville). Take exit 73A for US-421 S toward Yadkinville/Winston-Salem. Take exit 257 for US-601 toward Yadkinville/Mocksville.

I'm expecting that if we can get the truck fixed (should be done tonight!) we can come a little ways out for the last bit of the trip.

I'm really hoping we can get this going soon!

Knader if you come up with better directions, feel free to correct me, I only know what google tells me
    Last edited by zafirah; Jan. 28, 2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: extra info!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	37572

Here's a map for those of us who are more visual. Outside of my area but hope this helps those who are better located to help out.

I believe we have found a reliable shipper, at a good price! If anything falls through, I will be sure to post up on it

4 members found this post helpful.

Yeah! I am so happy he is getting a home!
    Heidi A. Lord
    Fast First Farm Richlands, NC
    Facebook: fastfirstfarm

This is such good news!
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

This might be a useful link if all else fails....

http://www.fleetofangels.org/#!
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."