The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default making own horse clothing?

anyone here make/sew their own?
    other then having the long tedious job of sewing,did you still find, it was worth it and cheaper to make your own,compared to buying ready made?
    im talking anything from polo wraps/bandages to blankets and sheets.
    i would like to make a quarter sheet.wondering if its going to cost me just as much in fabric,as it is buying one.
    the only things i have made so far are tack related., saddle covers,pads, tail wraps etc.

Yes, I have done so, but, you've got to have an industrial machine for decent results. Even a very good home sewing machine won't do the trick. I've never come across thread strong enough for a regular sewing machine, although maybe I'm ignorant.

The thread used in an industrial machine is just incredibly strong, and you can sew with a lot of detail also.

You need to find a good fabric/materials store also. I found an upholstery fabric place that was good, and made a fantastic, fitted fly sheet among other things out of mesh fabric. I fit perfectly and lasted like no other I've bought.

I didn't use a pattern, but there are so many patterns available out there that I'd love to try! You could modify them to look differently and also of course to fit.

1 members found this post helpful.

I made a fleece cooler for my mini, but fleece is really cheap in small quantities. For bigger stuff, I would imagine its just more economical to buy it, when you factor in the fabrics, the binding, the thread, straps, etc. then add in the frustration and time, eh, I'd rather buy. And I have the use of an industrial machine. Unless it was something so custom that it couldn't be purchased, I'd just buy it.

I have a sewing background and I made helmet covers for years to sell. that was before the fancy vented helmets got in style!

but even tho I purchased the breeches & hunt coat patterns I never sewed them up. the proper britch fabric costs start at what cheap britches cost and that is not factoring in the labor.
    so I passed on that.

a fleece quarter sheet would be easy to make and you could copy/trace someone's I think the amount of say either fleece or wool would not be that expensive.

here is a great horse clothing/human clothing site:
    suitability.com and they even post customer's photos!

I make polo wraps- I bought the fleece I wanted, but had enough extra to make several extra pairs. I sold the extras, and basically got mine for free
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

I've made quarter sheets, saddle pads, carrying bag for my saddle, saddle dust covers, boots (kind of a cross between sport and splint boots made of neoprene) and made a dog coat for my coaches dog.
    I've made a couple bridles too.
    I also do small repairs for others at the barn
    I find my regular sewing machine works just fine. (The neoprene and thicker leathers I hand sew)
    I considered making a blanket, but I found the cost of fabric and supplies compared to just buying a blanket wasn't worth it
    Good luck with your projects!

1 members found this post helpful.

For larger projects it is definitely not cost effective.

The nylon thread and binding are available online; so is the hardward and fabric. Individually they aren't overly expensive, but it adds up quick. You also need to add in shipping.

I replaced the binding on a sheet; it was a gift & I wanted a specific, off the wall color combination. Never. Again. I've done quite a bit of heavy work on my basic home machines, and that was the worst project ever.

I've made KY jods, and may again. Any denim or poly blend is appropriate for them and relatively inexpensive. The regular work jods are pretty cheap, but JazzyJods or ModJods ($$$) can be replicated very cost effectively. I have a pattern for a saddlesuit, I may make it one day just for the challenge. Probably not in my size though, that would just be depressing.

I have made quarter sheets using the Suitability pattern. I purchased fleece locally for a reasonable price, but had to order the trim and it was expensive. My Brother home machine did just fine on it. Not really economical, but you can sure make one of a kind !

I don't sew, but I did buy the Suitability patterns for western shirts, had her tell me how much fabric I needed and I bought that, and a friend's mom made them for me!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I could never find flannel bandages long enough for shipping, so purchased heavy flannel and made my own. No sewing though, we use pins.

If you want to get "real" fleece go to http://www.milldirecttextiles.com/, which was the Malden Mills store. They made the original polar fleece. Sometimes you can get really great buys, and they will often have 90" wide, which is good for making a cooler.

I had my black tropical weight dressage coat done by a local seamstress.EVen after buying pattern fabric lining facing custom buttons thread it was Way Cheaper than buying off the rack.

I made a square poly pad like saddle pad years ago with this cute fabric I liked... still use the pad and washes just fine. Of course I had plenty of help from my sewing mother lol. She made curtains, slip covers, you name it. She didn't have an industrial machine and all these items held up great. She now lives in the UK...the sewing machine is at my brothers. I've occasionally considered bringing it to my house, but am clueless as to changing out thread and such. Will have to have my mom teach me on her next trip to the states lol.

I made a quarter sheet yesterday for just over $20. That was buying all the materials full price. I find saddle pads are too small for my saddle, so I make my own baby pads. They run about $10 each to make. I've never made Polo Wraps but it seems if you want them in bulk it would be much cheaper to make them.

If you shop around, and bide your time you can get a better deal by buying them. If you want an unusual color combination or want an unusual size you are probably better off making it yourself.

I have a cheap Wal-Mart sewing machine and it does just fine, but I can't use it to sew heavy duty binding. It won't sew leg straps back on a blanket, but for the items that take less of a beating it works fine.