The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Undercover Cats

Does anybody know how it's possible for cats to be underneath four blankets on my bed, all the way down away from the opening, purring away happily down there for extended periods of time and yet not suffocating?

Do cats have a miniscule oxygen requirement or something?

Something like that! My senior loves to burrow in the covers.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I can't explain how they survive down there, going anaerobic and all. And what if you fart? What happens to the cat then?

IME, you always have the kind of cat you don't want-- the undercover- or "don't fence me in!" type cat. But you hear about the opposite kind.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

I do wish someone has an answer for this - The Spotted Wonder sleeps under the blankets too and in winter, blankets consist of a light comforter, a heavy fleece blanket and a very heavy down quilt...I just don't know how she can breathe under all that.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I've got one that likes to be all the way under the blankets; the other often sleeps under them, but with her head out. I do recall one morning where a hasty exit was made after a passing wind. Sorry 'bout that.

Strangely the one who likes to be in the blanket cave in the winter months, won't even sleep on the bed in the summer when it's hot.

Sometimes I wonder how my cat can get all the way under my blankets, and she can stay there all day if not disturbed! The bed can be tucked in all nice and tight and I still come home to that lump in the middle of the bed. She won't move either unless someone really irritates her. I've always wondered how she can breathe though, even having a sheet loosely over my head cuts down the oxygen intake (IMO).

1 members found this post helpful.

I have one that actually loves being made into the bed. Every time I go to make the bed, she jumps up so that she can be made in. She loves it the most when I am changing the sheets and she can get smothered by the bed sheet. I don't know how she can breath, but she loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Ponies View Post
    I have one that actually loves being made into the bed. Every time I go to make the bed, she jumps up so that she can be made in. She loves it the most when I am changing the sheets and she can get smothered by the bed sheet. I don't know how she can breath, but she loves it!
    LOL I have "helpers" for making the bed every am too.

Making the bed is the FUNNEST EVAH!! wheeeeeeeee

When they are down there they are at rest, so minimal oxygen needs?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I believe sheets and blankets allow plenty of air through for a cat's needs. Otherwise, there would be all sorts of FB OMG! WARNING! shares about the unsung dangers of allowing cats in beds. I don't have "undercover" kitties--but I have two that love to help make them. When they work in tandem, I'm constantly moving the black one..then the white one...then the black one scoots back in.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Both our cats love to be under blankets. Our one cat Sage is really slinky and doesn't have a lot of fur, he's the snuggle cat. He asks to come get under the lap blanket I have on me when I sit in my lazyboy. He'll totally flop over and put is legs out like Superman and go to sleep but he does like his nose sticking out for fresh air. Our other cat Vincent, he likes to get on the other side of my chair under the blanket and the way I sit he's up against my butt and unfortunately for him he gets the hotbox too often..lol. My husband always hears it first and says "Oh poor Vince, how can you do that to the cat honey? Then giggles hysterically.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...79242374_o.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...37800143_n.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

^^

Who's the grey-n-whiter? That cat looks awfully tired. Does have have some kind of physical job? Works at a steel plant or similar?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    ^^

Who's the grey-n-whiter? That cat looks awfully tired. Does have have some kind of physical job? Works at a steel plant or similar?
    That is Sage, his jobs include; waking my husband up by nipping his nostrils and head butting his bearded chin, antagonizing birds, other cats and dogs that happen by the window, best friend and wrestling buddy of Vince our other cat and Trouble with a capital T. He's my cat. He is peeved at me at the moment because the keyboard I'm typing on right now is taking up his snuggly nap spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Ponies View Post
    Any pictures of the made bed, ready for military inspection.... with a big ol' lump in it?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I can't explain how they survive down there, going anaerobic and all. And what if you fart? What happens to the cat then?

IME, you always have the kind of cat you don't want-- the undercover- or "don't fence me in!" type cat. But you hear about the opposite kind.
    BAHAHA!!! Can I swipe this for my sig line, please?!

Our calico is always burrowed under something and when DH comes home he always makes a point of finding her and letting a good one go. She always comes slinking out with this disgusted look on her face, then goes and pees in his shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

BAHAHAHA you guys are making me laugh so much. Thank you!

Pau
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

[QUOTE=Superminion;6804722]BAHAHA!!! Can I swipe this for my sig line, please?! /QUOTE]

You are welcome to it.

Know, however, that farts are not funny in Europe. I don't even get it, those guys long having held the reputation for being the bearers of any culture worth having. Alotta good has come from fart jokes.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

^^

Hysterical
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts