The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by InjuredAlter View Post
    I am willing to try cortisone and physical therapy, and was planning on using cortisone to get me through our spring racing season, but it still isn't a guarantee. I will be getting multiple opinions for sure and will exhaust all options before surgery because I'm not willing to give up a year of rowing to repair my hips quite yet.

Thanks again for the replies everyone.
    This philosophy is why my dad quit being doc for the Miami Dolphins.....why not stay out a season, give the body some time to heal and maybe you will be better and stronger when you're not in pain.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    This philosophy is why my dad quit being doc for the Miami Dolphins.....why not stay out a season, give the body some time to heal and maybe you will be better and stronger when you're not in pain.
    Because unfortunately spring season is our most important and my team needs me. The fact of the matter is that no matter how much I sit out, the FAI will not go away, it'll always be a problem until I get surgery, so I'm basically buying time with the cortisone and pt.. Trying to get through what I can before I need surgery... I don't want to sit out, because while it will take down inflammation, it will not "heal" me, so basically I'd be just sitting around getting out of shape for nothing.

\The fact of the matter is that no matter how much I sit out, the FAI will not go away, it'll always be a problem until I get surgery, so I'm basically buying time with the cortisone and pt.. Trying to get through what I can before I need surgery... .
    Yah...I got really ticked at one doc who didn't want to do cortisone on the new tear even tho I'm not a surgical candidate...His opinion was 'do whatever to maximize the lifespan of the joint - and if you have to give up everything you really love (like riding!) -- so be it'.

Did that once w/ the FIRST hip...I ended up on crutches, narcotics, and could barely go ge the mail. Ain't doin' it again.

My 'prosthetic longevity' issues are somewhat different from yours due to my age. But when I was paranoid about getting the first replacement and having to have a revision when I was 80, my PT told me that there are major advances in hip replacements about every 10 years, and that things would be totally different by the time I needed to worry about it - IF I needed to worry about it.

Also - w/ some of the threads on Pentosan and Irap I'm hoping that in the next 5 years I may have the option of not getting the OTHER hip replaced.

Another thing - your MRI is wrong about how bad the hip is. Both surgeons I talked to told me that the hip is very frequently worse than what the MRI showed. Radiologist said mine was 'mild', both surgeons said 'probably somewhat worse than that'. Surgeon who did the surgery said 'totally ripped off the bone and shredded'.

One thing of note: A not-so-good story from another rower. She got the hip replaced when she needed to, and had to get a revision w/in 5 years due to the wear and tear on the prosthetic from continuing to row. You do NOT want to have that happen. Every surgery on the hip will remove some of your ability to function...and that type of surgery even moreso.

FYI for those who haven't had them - labral tears do not heal. Mild tears sometimes become asymptomatic depending on where they are and how much activity modification you do. Unfortunately, the place where they usually tear is full of nerve endings....

1 members found this post helpful.

OP - I also wouldn't assume that you have no impingement based on x-rays taken in physiologic positions.

Sculling puts the leg in a decidedly extreme position....I'd wanna know where there was impingement in that position.

It's kinda hard to get a tear w/o some form of impingement somewhere....

Thank you so much for that response Toller.... Just got back from the dr.. I'm a little frustrated and didn't ask all the questions I should have.

He messed with my left hip as well as my injured right hip. Made the left hip hurt so much. It still aches. My MRI showed a mild to moderate labral tear, and a cam growth on the femoral head. I go in Thursday for steroid injections. He didn't mention anything really about long term consequences, and I should have asked. Basically he told me if I still experience discomfort with the injections, that surgery will need to be done, however I know that surgery is an unavoidable thing, so I don't understand why he said that.

My illiopsoas is popping across the joint in both hips, so I need to work on stretching, and he said if I get pain during rowing than I shouldn't be doing it because it's making it worse probably, but if I get pain afterwards that's not as concerning. Quite frankly I'm frustrated with being in pain 24/7. I told him it hurts to row, but we are about to be in season and they don't plan on having me sit out, and he just kind of said "we'll do what you have to do"

I'm going to call tomorrow about getting a referral and an appointment for a second opinion with one of the doctors you listed.. My questions were not answered and I want to know what's going on.

Edited to add: I definitely have impingement. I feel it in the front of my legs along my groin. It's painful.. My tear is in the front of the joint.

Another just FYI...my FIRST cortisone injection didn't help w/ the newer tear...but subsequent ones have for some reason.

Unfortunately, I'm no where near NC
    GallopHer, do you mind me asking how old you were at the time of surgery??
    I was 50 when I had my surgery - on the very edge of optimal age limit for the procedure, but I've been pleased.

Best of luck.