The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hanoverian approved stallions with super charged frozen semen

My mare is ovulating on both sides each cycle so the vet is inseminating each side individually from a single dose. That's fine, but due to the whole issue of reduction in dose size from German stallion owners, splitting a dose even when it will be used on the same cycle isn't ideal.

The first German stallion I bred to only produced one embryo from iffy semen so after that I decided to use frozen by the dose USA based stallions that were suitable for my mare. Since I'm working with vitrified embryos, the more embryos that are flushed, the better odds I have of getting one to stick. So it's real important the semen is super charged.

If she were double ovulating on the same side it wouldn't matter as much.

So, Hano approved stallions with super charged frozen semen ARE _________
    Last edited by back in the saddle; Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM.

I know you are looking at frozen but I do know Jennifer at Dreamscape is still collecting and her stallion Bon Balou has super semen!!! I used him last year as well as this year and we got twins both time even when we inseminated way after ovulation. We even looked at his boys several days later just to see and yep still a lot of them swimming. He is approved Hanoverian and Jennifer is awesome to deal with. I don't know if he suits your mare but one to consider.

1 members found this post helpful.

Rainbow Equus has several nice stallions, including Landkoenig who is Hanoverian. The owner Edgar is awesome to work with. I am breeding to his stallion Pablo this year, bred to Landkoenig previously. All semen received from him has been excellent per my vets despite a lengthy west coast to easy coast shipment!

2 members found this post helpful.

Dressage or Jumper? You did not specify.

Hanoverian approved USA based stallions that have very good results are to be found at Hilltop Farm and also Rainbow Equus. Fresh and Frozen.

Dreamscape is in Canada, but Jennifer is superb to work with and ships all over the place and her stallions all have very good conception rates. Fresh and frozen.

Celle stallions and Paul Schockemohle stallions all have decent conception rates with their frozen rosters or the stallion is not allowed to be promoted as such. Some of the brokers still have stuff in stock - Carol at SES and Doug at Rideauwood for sure. Canadian Hanoverian Club will also have some Celle stallions in stock, talk to Michael Boyd about what's in stock and it's easy ordering/payment online. http://www.canadianhanoverians.com/b...al-state-stud/
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Sorry... Dressage.

Lagoheidor has a 100% first cycle conception rate (I think with one exception - a mare with an infection). He's AHS approved and is dual talented and dual producing.

We need to stick with really good frozen by the dose with no lfg.

The first stallion was a PS stallion and although that semen probably needed more time to warm up before they looked at it, it did only produce one embryo with perfect timing on both sides. So before I buy any more, I really want to do due diligence by the stallion and not necessarily by the stallion station.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    Lagoheidor has a 100% first cycle conception rate (I think with one exception - a mare with an infection). He's AHS approved and is dual talented and dual producing.
    Yes. I really like him.

Stallions I have used in the last few years that have SUPER good frozen:

Furst Romancier
    Sir Donnerhall
    For Compliment
    Romanov
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Dauphin
    Véronique
    www.FormosusSporthorses.ca
    Like us on Facebook

I second Dauphin, used 3 times got 3 pregnancies, one of wich was twins. Unfortunately, only one made it.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Dauphin. His post thaw was 70%; my repro. vet said it was better than many fresh stallions.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Sarkozy at PSI has incredible semen

I bought one dose of 4 straws and got 4 pregnancies using 1 straw at a time

I bought the semen under a contract that stated from one dose I could get as many foals as I liked

If you have read the post on Sezuan, it is not necessary to use more semen just because you have a follicle on each side

I have had many cases of twin embryos at 14 days, from using only 1 straw in the uterine body with follicles on each side that get fertilised

If I have follicles on each side and I am using 1 straw only, or quarter of a dose, then I don't deep horn up one side, I just put the 1 straw inside the cervix as far as I can get it without going up one horn

Provided the semen is good, it will swim up both horns easily

the celle semen is good and so is PSI

I have never had a miss with Sarkozy with client mares either

belissimo M had incredible semen. I have done countless inseminations of 1 straw with his semen and never had a miss

Same with Sir Donnerhall

Paulamc

Yes I know that. Skimping on dose size could cost me a whole lot more in the end if nothing takes than using the whole thing to start with. There are times when splitting may be perfectly fine, but in this case I want to get in and get out as quickly as possible with the most embryos as I can get.

My plan is to come up with a list of stallions that would be a nice cross for my mare for various ovulation scenario's. Super charged get the double OV on both sides, single ov's get the good semen, double ov's on one side get the more difficult semen. Had I known the first semen wasn't so good, I would have not used it for that cycle.

I only started using 1 straw by accident. I had a dose of Lord Sinclair - 4 straws and put 3 straws in a mare who didn't take. I then had 1 straw left only, so put this one straw in the same mare next cycle and bang she went straight in foal

I then started to use half doses instead of full doses and went from there to 1 straw most of the time

It is difficult to believe if you haven't done it before but it is a very common practice here in Australia because we pay so much for frozen semen, at least twice and sometimes 3 times what you pay in the USA

The other benefit is you get far less inflammation responses to the semen by using less

But also you have to be able to buy the semen this way. Even if you only get one pregnancy perdose its still worth using half a dose so you can get another go if the mare doesn't fall pregnant

Paulamc

Paulamac, do you have the same success rate using 1/4 of a dose containing 300 million sperm (ie - 75 million per straw) as you do using 1/4 of a dose that contains 1 billion sperm per dose (ie-250 million per straw)?

If the vet bills per cycle aren't that much and you don't mind taking the gamble on 1/2 then I can see where it's tempting to do.

In this case I don't want her to get pregnant, I want embryos. and as I've already seen with one german sire. 1/2 dose didn't work 2 times. They flushed her 3 times so it's doubtful one of the ovulations produced an embryo AND the extra flushes added expense for that cycle. So there may be a time when it may make sense to split, but not when the cost per cycle could end up 2x the cost of the semen. It really needs to be given every chance to work the first time because there won't be a second. lol

Each situation is different and as I'm finding out, not all semen is suitable for every cycle.

Harvard from pangaea farms has good proven frozen semen! He is super sweet also.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Thanks for all of these suggestions.

I don't think we get semen that is 1 billion sperm per breeding dose for frozen semen, I haven't heard that before

I think the standard breeding dose for frozen semen is 300 million to 500 million sperm, so even if you are using only 1 straw from a 4 straw dose its not exactly low dose is it?

I am talking about regular .5ml straws, not big 5ml straws

I am not really sure what a breeding dose is but I don't think it falls below 300 million sperm

paulamc