The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sun Bleached Tails? How to not have them?

I really want my horses tails to be black this year and I really don't want to dye them and they don't live inside. So, is there any way to prevent sun bleached tails? Wrapping some way or something to coat them in? I did a search all over COTH and the internet and have come up with nothing!

Thank you in advance!

I think unless your horse grows a lot of tail the damage is done. I used to dye my guys tail, its easy and looks amazing. A two dollar rain poncho and two bottles of lady clairol jet black. Put the poncho over his butt with tail sticking out of head opening. I would wrap it with tape or a polo to keep it around him and dye away. I think this process gets the hair so healthy and easy to brush its worth it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yep, dyeing is pretty much your only option if the tail is already sunbleached.

Beyond that, you can try to prevent it by mixing sunscreen into water in a water bottle, and spraying it on. Not sure how gunky that would get, but worth a shot...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Yep, dyeing is pretty much your only option if the tail is already sunbleached.

Beyond that, you can try to prevent it by mixing sunscreen into water in a water bottle, and spraying it on. Not sure how gunky that would get, but worth a shot...
    I honestly don't care about the colour of my horse's tail, but being a warmblood horse his tail is pretty thin. Since this is a tail-related thread I thought I'd throw this in here.
    I have extremely long hair myself and I've learned pretty much every trick in the book for taking care of it. However it's not as easy with a tail.... What I'm doing these days is spraying it with leave-in conditioner (in lieu of expensive show shine) and de-tangling it with my fingers instead of using the harsh hairbrush.

Anone have any top-tips for a thick, long and healthy tail?

My WB has a nice thick tail. Thickness and length are genetic.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

MTG really helps hair growth! Used it on an appy and his tail looked really nice after the winter of being bagged up and regularly scrubbed with the stuff!

There is a sunscreen and detangling product that I use, but I can't think of the name off the top of my head.....I spray it liberally on their tail heads during the summer months. Seems to work ok, I've never dyed their tails though, that's a new one to me

I used to dye tails all the time. I just taped a garbage bag above the tail and cut the bag in half, so the tail rested in the open end of the bag. Its kind of a PITA as you have to stand there for 20 minutes as it dyed...Plus if they have any white socks you really had to watch them as they would swish their tails, as you washed the dye out you had to be carful that it didnt dye the socks as well.
    I have since then found a spray made by Shapleys (cattle people use it all the time) and it comes in all colours. It is much easier than dying the tail. I just spray it just before we go in the ring and the tails look awesome!
    You could always turn out at night if thats an option for you. It would help with the sun bleaching.

1 members found this post helpful.

ditto on Shapley's!! great stuff and fool proof. I will be buying black this year for my bay's tail. I have white for socks and two chestnut color's that I used on my old horse.
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand