The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prospects bred for eventing

I have a friend looking for an event prospect that may be able to go prelim one day. She is on a limited budget and can buy a very green prospect that has 90 days on it if necessary. Has made up her last 2 horses.
    With a 10 to 15K budget is it possible to find a nice prospect from a breeder? She likes a bold forward horse.....where would breeders suggest looking, lives in nj. Willing to travel of course but not across the country
    Last edited by Parrotnutz; Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

We have a full sister to a horse we sold a couple years ago that is eventing. She is by Consul out of an international GP mare who was part of several Swedish nations cup teams.

We broke this filly last year. After five weeks under saddle she is walk, trot, canter and jumping. She never once spun, bucked or fought through her training. Love this girl! She isn't big yet in size, but has a big stride and careful jump. Moves well on the flat and IMO is better than her brother.

I truely believe she will be one of those mares who will walk through fire with her rider. She's brave, smart and has plenty of blood. Her Dam is small and jumped 1.60m and that spunk to jump courses of that size is well placed in her offspring.

PM if interested.

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

I think if she's looking for a nicely bred WB prospect with 90-days, that it will be a search. Not impossible, but could take some time. To me, it's the 90-days part. One of my prospects after 90-days will be close to BN ready and if they are showing aptitude for xc, then they will be priced as UL prospects.

She could probably find a NICE TB started by a good eventer in that price range. Courtney Sendak in Baltimore comes to mind, as does Phyllis Dawson. And there are a number of good eventers in PA, VA who have good reputations for nicely started horses. You might post on the eventing boards for some other names.

Happy horse hunting!!!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Sent you a PM as well.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Yep. You'll have to be selective - you'll probably not find a WB from the larger farms started for this price range. Definitely TB's, you can probably find 1000 with 90 days retraining & upper level potential in this range. There's also usually a good supply of WB's from smaller farms in this range.

Watch out for the "real good deals" tho, unless you're experienced with problem horses. We just bought 2 (intentionally, issues fully disclosed) with world class talent and PRCA aspirations. We've got a little ability, adequate time, and not very much money!

Prelim isn't too onerous, most well bred sport horses with average talent, a good rider, and adequate training should be capable of that - I've got 15 on the back 30 (we turn'em out until they're late 3 yo's to grow up naturally) that probably meet that criteria. Look for soundness (minor structural flaws are not an issue at prelim like they are at advanced) and a good mind first of all.

1 members found this post helpful.

Someone on FB just posted a totally-retrained TB who ran in the KY Derby and the site showed him under saddle and over fences. He moves like a warmblood! Needs experienced rider but adoptable for 3K. He may still be posted on my FB page, or Denny Emerson's. The gelding's name is Sam P. and he is still on D.E.'s page.

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook
    Last edited by dianehalpin; Jan. 26, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by dianehalpin View Post
    Someone on FB just posted a totally-retrained TB who ran in the KY Derby and the site showed him under saddle and over fences. He moves like a warmblood! Needs experienced rider but adoptable for 3K. He may still be posted on my FB page, or Denny Emerson's. The gelding's name is Sam P. and he is still on D.E.'s page.

I SAW that horse (not in person, on the FB ad), he is spectacular! No guarantee of soundness, obviously, but DAMN is that a nice, nice horse. (Sounds like "not for an amateur" is good advice , but if a competent, patient, ambitious rider were to get their hands on this guy??) Wowsa...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dianehalpin View Post

I reposted that lovely horse too - and my first thought when I saw him was eventer - athletic, beautiful mover (I would disagree with Diane here and say he moves like a good moving Thoroughbred plenty of push from behind.
    Lovely, lovely horse.
    I hope someone gives him a wonderful home. I think the OP for the horse is New Vocations.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Fred is correct - Sam P is listed on New Vocations site with pics and vids. He is by Cat Thief. I happen have one by Cat Thief who is a bit leggier but moves the same way. Very cool horse.