The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage legal bits - 2 metal? (sweet iron with copper inlay?)

So I have been on a desperate search for a new bit for my 5.5 yo ottb, and have just got a French link baucher, which as of now I like, though the bit I got, though I like the general concept and my horse is going well in it, its not the best quality and would like to get. Better bit if it continues to go well. With that I was thinking of getting a sweet iron French link/lozenge bit with copper inlays and in googling it have for mixed answers that its is now infact legal and that its still not b.c bits news to be of single metal....

So of I get this bit, is it legal now, or should I stick with one metal or the other?

My guy isn't necessarily a puller or leaner persay, though he definitely used s to be he and has come a very very long way, he still has a tendency to, lean and very low at times, he's a horse who should not be this balanced this low, and though he has come leaps and bounds with lots of ground work and transitions and all that good stuff, I would like to find, or at least try to find a bit that may be more encouraging for constant contact that he injoys. He is very sensitive in all things his world and want to try a more accepting approach then other alternatives if that makes sense.

Also, I am working with a trainer, and he has come soo far and so proud of him, but I feel its time for a change from his previous loose ring drench link.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Wow, sorry, cell phone post... Bad auto corrects.... Just re read post... Thanks again. We, or I am dressage illiterate and have just started eventing, or training for such these past few months

The restriction on the number of metals went away (for both Straight Dressage and Eventing Dressage) MANY years ago.

"Two metals" are perfectly legal.

But make sure the inlays are completely smooth. If the inlays create "lumps", then it is illegal, because of the lumps, not the metals.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thank you, I guess I need to decide if I want the sweet iron with copper lozenge or if I should go with just the copper. Lookingy the stubben baucher.

Tried him in a Waterford today for the jumping and he really seemed to like it and was considering the neue schule baucher Waterford...

It's a very expensive gave of trial and error...