The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Short Term Groom Type Positions (~6 months)

Totally general question here - Are there any decent grooming jobs out there that are willing to take on short term workers? By decent I mean a job that doesn't totally use and abuse their employees. Hard work is well and fine, but we've all heard the horror stories.

I'm just wondering if doing this sort of job for a short period would be beneficial (educational, etc) or whether the really "good" jobs all prefer long term workers. I've always wanted to get a grooming gig but it was not in the cards for me. I may, over the next few years, have an opportunity to escape life for several months and I'm curious as to whether or not it would be worthwhile.

I understand, of course, that every person and every job opportunity is different. Looking for a general opinion.

Thanks!

Just saw on FB that Reed Kessler is looking for one for Feb-Mar. From the posts by her regular groom they seem like good people!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Just saw on FB that Reed Kessler is looking for one for Feb-Mar. From the posts by her regular groom they seem like good people!
    Thanks! This definitely wouldn't be soon however, probably sometime in the next year and a half - two years.

No one's done a short-term position?

In high-school and college I could only take summer working student/groom positions, because obviously I was in school. Because most barns would rather have longer commitments, it can be very helpful to have a reputable rider/trainer recommend you to barns. I've found if you are looking for a short-term position you need to create a professional resume that makes you stand out more than someone who is willing to stay for longer.
    Depending on where you are working it can be, and was for me, very educational. I was working with great riders so gained a ton of knowledge while also becoming a perfectionist when it came to attire/the barn/upkeep for the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by ccr0009 View Post
    In high-school and college I could only take summer working student/groom positions, because obviously I was in school. Because most barns would rather have longer commitments, it can be very helpful to have a reputable rider/trainer recommend you to barns. I've found if you are looking for a short-term position you need to create a professional resume that makes you stand out more than someone who is willing to stay for longer.
    Depending on where you are working it can be, and was for me, very educational. I was working with great riders so gained a ton of knowledge while also becoming a perfectionist when it came to attire/the barn/upkeep for the horses.
    Thanks for the advice! What you're referring to sounds exactly like what I will be looking for. I've gone grooming/working student positions close to home and hopefully my current trainer can help set me up with an arrangement when the time comes.

I figured it would be difficult to get a short term position, but I'm hoping I can find something good. Given that I can only do about 6 months, I would like to learn as much as possible in that time.

The GP rider I used to work with often took on grooms/riders for short term commitments- we got a lot of people in from Europe that were limited to only staying for a few months because of visa restrictions, and we would hire short term help for the winter circuit, Spruce, etc. It wasn't just "use and abuse" either, many people came back to work for us again when they could. So it's definitely possible to find a good grooming/working student type job with a high level barn for a 6 month period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper221 View Post
    The GP rider I used to work with often took on grooms/riders for short term commitments- we got a lot of people in from Europe that were limited to only staying for a few months because of visa restrictions, and we would hire short term help for the winter circuit, Spruce, etc. It wasn't just "use and abuse" either, many people came back to work for us again when they could. So it's definitely possible to find a good grooming/working student type job with a high level barn for a 6 month period.
    Thank you for the glimmer of hope!

I rarely hear about short-term home positions, but they seem somewhat frequent for a show circuit, i.e. 3 months in Wellington, on the road for indoors, etc.

1 members found this post helpful.