The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Best Figure 8 Bridle?!

Hey guys!

Ok so I'm in the market for a new figure 8 bridle since my current one is older and doesn't fit my new guy to great. Ill start off by saying I'm picky with bridles because I really want my horses to be as comfortable as possible.

Here are my thoughts:
    I really love the idea of the ergonomically shaped one piece padded crowns so I want a bridle with that type crown.

I like when the rings are covered with leather (like the vespucci)

I don't like a lot of sheepskin on the disk- the less the better as long as the disk isn't "hard" leather, in that case I would want the sheepskin for comfort.

I LOVE the Vespucci figure 8, but the problem is I heard the leather isn't great quality and I can't justify spending 260.00 on a bridle with crappy leather.

I also love the Nunn finer figure 8 but the one I like doesn't have the single crown & the other figure 8 they have with the single crown is to fancy for me.

Input please guys
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

But, the rings don't have to be covered with leather....just an extra
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

Red Barn? Makes one with silver clenches on brow band and figure 8 I love it get huge compliments and gave 1 to my 4* rider for Christmas she also loves the look.

Ill check it out, thanks!

So, as the owner of a Vespucci bridle, they are not bad. Especially for the price. Much nicer, MUCH better quality than my similarly priced Smart Pak bridle.

Beval makes very nice bridles, the figure 8 noseband I have is from them, bought 20 years ago, and still in use. Here's a contender for you: http://www.beval.com/Products/Conque...s/1166001.aspx

Also, this line from Dover is nice, American leather : http://www.doversaddlery.com/showmar...le/p/X1-12862/

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    So, as the owner of a Vespucci bridle, they are not bad. Especially for the price. Much nicer, MUCH better quality than my similarly priced Smart Pak bridle.

Beval makes very nice bridles, the figure 8 noseband I have is from them, bought 20 years ago, and still in use. Here's a contender for you: http://www.beval.com/Products/Conque...s/1166001.aspx

Also, this line from Dover is nice, American leather : http://www.doversaddlery.com/showmar...le/p/X1-12862/

Thanks! Good to hear you like the vespucci leather, I'm still considering the bridle. Love the Beval one tho!

Five Star. I think my Five Star Chelsea meets all your wants/needs. Well, upon looking at the website, they don't make the Chelsea anymore, but looks like what they do have will meet your needs. Lovely bridles.

The Smartpak Wellfleet also is lovely (I have one of their dressage bridles).

I would choose Five Star or Smartpak over Vespucci. They stretch like crazy. I've had a few in my barn (client owned), and we were CONSTANTLY punching holes in their bridles. The leather IS buttery soft, but I think that's the problem.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a Wellfleet from Smartpak and I get compliments on it wherever I go. the leather is super soft and it is gorgeous!
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

My Wellfleet bridle would not stop bleeding dye. The byte of the reins ruined several of my saddle pads. Thank god the horse I bought it for was my chestnut, not one of my greys.

Anyhow- OP- I don't want you to think I am heartly endorsing Vespucci, I am not, but for the price they are not bad. If I had been shopping for a figure 8 bridle I would have gotten the Dover, but I needed a flash. For some reason its harder to fine a nice mid priced padded monocrown fancy stiched flash bridle than a figure 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    My Wellfleet bridle would not stop bleeding dye. The byte of the reins ruined several of my saddle pads. Thank god the horse I bought it for was my chestnut, not one of my greys.
    Weird. I don't have that problem.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

I have three Vespucci bridles and I have found them to be my favorite bridles. I have the figure 8 and it is beautiful but also very durable. It seems to be very comfortable for the horse - if you have the padded areas in the right place. If you tack up too quickly and don't take the time to put the padded areas where they should be, then I could see it pinching and becoming uncomfortable. I much prefer the leather over the sheepskin, the sheepskin ends up looking so worn and dirty over time.

I love my Bobby's figure 8... I also love my 4 other Bobby's too. Their customer service is unparalleled- I bet if you contact them they can put together the bridle you want.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Antares. The leather is unbelievable. It is absolutely exquisite. Had to wait years to find one within my budget, though.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

I love my Five Star Tack Chelsea bridle. I've had it since August and there's been no stretching at all. You can't really even see the marks where I buckle it, and I ride at least 3 times a week. The leather is nice and sturdy, and the padding is very soft.

Default Loved it when I bought it... but now, not that impressed with Vespucci....

I have a Vespucci Figure 8... here are my two cents:

Make sure it can be returned. The horse size swam on my horse; the cob size fits well, but the figure 8 had to be shortened by about 6 inches! I'm not sure what sort of horse has that large a muzzle. Don't buy it if it can't be returned!!

Mine is buttery soft and has not stretched It has however, gotten some wierd discolouration on the cheekpieces... it's like they are dry? But they have been cleaned as much as the rest of the bridle and the rest of the bridle doesn't have this look. It is almost like the colour on them is fading? Very strange. This bridle is used 1 - 2 times per week and cleaned (almost) every ride.

It WILL NOT DARKEN. Despite oiling, conditioning, etc, it is still has an light orange brown quality to its' colour. I have tried everything... I am hoping that time darkens it a bit. It has been 3 + years however....

I do have a regular hunter Vespucci bridle that is beautiful... gorgeous colour, buttery soft, lovely bridle. Alas it doesn't fit my "cob sized" thoroughbred jumper that requires a figure 8...

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedeventer View Post
    Here are my thoughts:
    I really love the idea of the ergonomically shaped one piece padded crowns so I want a bridle with that type crown.

I like when the rings are covered with leather (like the vespucci)

I don't like a lot of sheepskin on the disk- the less the better as long as the disk isn't "hard" leather, in that case I would want the sheepskin for comfort.
    So, I just wanted to comment on this - in defense of the Vespucci! I have owned three Vespucci bridles - including the Figure 8 in question. My other two are a now-10 year old rolled leather double bridle, and a somewhat newer (~1 year) flash rolled leather bridle.

The thing is - and this is true with almost all leather - the care you put into it will reflect the quality you have, and the duration of it's life. Again - I have a 10 year old Vespucci. It's definitely worn in, but it is in beautiful condition. My Vespucci flash bridle is equally lovely - and it has been in 3/4 day a week use for the last year. The Vespucci figure 8 I bought in mid-Dec, and so far it has maintained a gorgeous finish and suppleness.

Our jumping trainer at the eventing barn I ride at specifically recommends these bridles - almost all the horses going cross country wear them. The only one I have seen that was not still in beautiful working condition was on that was left in someone's attic for two or so years - extreme hot and cold (in New England) - and buried under piles of junk without being oiled or cleaned. Even that one was survivable with some TLC!

I would expect the 10 year old Vespucci to be fabulous. It is the more recent ones that have been suspect. My two recommendations:

1) Five Star Tack - amazing bridles http://www.fivestarbridles.com/bridles.html
    2) Kieffer Carmen http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/1050138.html

Other options are with just bridles, http://www.delfinasaddlery.com/Delfi...-Crown-p8.html, http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...-Padded/Detail

Or if you want to spend a lot, these are stunning http://www.smartpakequine.com/arc-de...dle-4409p.aspx and all the french companies (CWD, Voltaire, Devoucoux) make nice ones as well
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I bought the Vespucci 7-8 years ago and it has held up great!!