The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New to TB's, was wondering if I could get some pedigree help

So to preface this I normally have paints and quarter horses (mostly western pleasure bred or cow bred) and recently won a breeding to Painted Detail. So I started looking for a mare to cross on him to get an all around type foal that could potentially jump. I came across this TB mare who fits my height needs, has good bone, and is broke both western and english and started over jumps. I bought her because I feel that she'll make a good cross. She's been bred once before to Isaiah and had a tall chromey colt. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me a bit about her pedigree since I'm clueless to TB pedigrees. Thanks!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/relevant+flyer
    Last edited by amzngallison; Jan. 25, 2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: original pedigree link was wrong

While the top side of her pedigree is populated by foreign horses that I am not familiar with, the bottom half is a veritable sport horse goldmine.

Since the bottom side is a very "old" pedigree (her dam was 16 years older than her sire), you are seeing incredible genetic influences up close. I cannot remember the last time I saw Hold Your Peace/Speak John/Prince John/ Princequillo ALL within the first 5 generations.

Equally amazing is finding Dr. Fager in the 3rd generation. Having been born over 50 years ago, he is most often found in the 5th generation, or even farther back.

As you can see, her ancestors in the 4th generation through the sire were foaled between 1966 -- 1980, while the age of her 4th generation ancestors on the female side come from the years between 1936 -- 1964. You possibly own one of the last horses with such revered bloodlines up this close.

And I have not even mentioned Eight Thirty, Blue Larkspur, Ballymoss. Rarely do they even show up in a 5 generation pedigree.

Is she a large, correct and good looking mare? If so, then depending on how her first foal turns out, it might be worth your's (or someone's) money to breed her to a top warm blood to continue her lines on into the future.

PS: Her sire, Relevant was born in 1990, not 1999.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

2 members found this post helpful.

I would love to see pics of this mare!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is the pedigree that equineline lists, its different than allbreed

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe..._name=Relevant Flyer&dam_name=Relevant&foaling_year=2000&nicking_ stats_indicator=Y

Thanks for the replies! So these aren't the greatest pictures, I picked her up Monday and she had been living in a pasture with cows for the last several years. I took these today before trimming her feet and I'll be excited to get pictures done after I've been riding her for a few months. Here's a link to the album I'm putting together for her. The last picture is of her and the foal she had by Isaiah and the rest were all from since I brought her home. I'm in vet school so I haven't had the chance to do any real riding on her but it's my plan to get a video of her either tomorrow or Sunday and to actually spend some time on her.
    http://s1132.beta.photobucket.com/us...levant%20Flyer

Yeah, that All Breed pedigree is not correct.

Here's the pedigree on PQ, and the Equineline pedigree is obviously correct.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/relevant+flyer

And thanks for letting me know, I didn't put her on allbreed so I'll see if I can edit it.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

That's a very nice pedigree for sport on top as well. Anytime you can find Bold Bidder and Sir Ivor and Flying Paster in the same horse, you've got the potential for very good things. The mares on the bottom up to Relevant were bred by Tartan Farms in Florida from the imported Argentine mare. IIRC, that means John Nerud decided the breeding, and there was never a better TB breeder. The Argentine mare gives you a line to Worden, who is a golden line for sport.

If you are aiming for eventing, the mare's pedigree is very promising. It's also good for just about any jumping sport, but especially good for eventing. She's also from a prolific broodmare dam, which is promising for breeding.

Allbreed is very, very often wrong. I just recently found a horse there, a current horse, whose grandsire or sire was said to have been the 1922 TB Stimulus. Not possible.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thanks so much vineyrdge and Lord Helpus for breaking down her pedigree for me. I really appreciate it! And I may try eventing, it seems like it would be a lot of fun with the right horse and there's a few trainers here in College Station that could get me started. I've just always ridden predominantly western so this will be a fun learning experience and I'm excited about this foal

It looks like Painted Detail is half TB - Frenchie Gail is his dam. What you will want to consider is what the cross looks like between the mare you are considering. The foal will be 3/4 TB. COTH breeders might help with evaluating the match.

Here is Painted Detail's dam (she has an interesting pedigree too!):

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=1023444

Yay! Loving the news about this mare, even though she's not mine, teeheee. So happy you found a good one Allison! Can't wait for my chance to breed her
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    It looks like Painted Detail is half TB - Frenchie Gail is his dam. What you will want to consider is what the cross looks like between the mare you are considering. The foal will be 3/4 TB. COTH breeders might help with evaluating the match.

Here is Painted Detail's dam (she has an interesting pedigree too!):

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=1023444
    Frenchie Gail has lovley old time breeding up front too with The Axe, Grey Dawn and Crimson Satan up front....nothing you need to worry about linebreeding. The mare posted also has a really nice old time pedigree on her....a super find. I also found my best bred TB mare in a cowfield. FWIW my cowfield find also has up close The Axe.

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    Frenchie Gail has lovley old time breeding up front too with The Axe, Grey Dawn and Crimson Satan up front....nothing you need to worry about linebreeding. The mare posted also has a really nice old time pedigree on her....a super find. I also found my best bred TB mare in a cowfield. FWIW my cowfield find also has up close The Axe.
    Yeah I'm pretty excited, here I was thinking I was just getting a really broke mare that fit my breeding needs and now I find out she has a nice pedigree too. I'm beyond excited about this foal :-)