The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Going to look at this mare on Sunday... Thoughts?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...lpid=13&search

She's TbxPercheron, and her sire (TB) is http://www.pedigreequery.com/faded+denim2

I'm looking for a horse to do some lower level eventing on, and she seems pretty cute! I have experience on Greenies so there is no worry there.
    The owner said I could try her our for more than a month if I like her so hopefully if she's nice I will do so.
    She is near 17hh and I am tall so I think she will fit me better than my current 15h QH (he's retiring to be a lesson horse)

this is her best video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMUD2zj5s6Q
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

I think she is adorable! Those draft crosses can grow forever so if she is almost 17 hands, you could end up with her being 17.2 when she is done. The last one I had was 16.3 at the end of his 3rd year, and he finished at almost 18 hands. But he was low on groceries when I got him so I think he had a much bigger growth spurt than he would have otherwise.

Hope she works out for you.

Good to know! My horse I sold over the summer was 17.1 and he fit me perfectly, so I'm hoping that she is around 17. She hasn't been sticked so she could just appear that big.
    18 hands though... that just SOUNDS scary lol!
    Eventers of the West

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I think she's overpriced considering how green she is, and a month long lease sounds very out of the norm. She's cute but not spectacular so I think that her price should come way down.

4 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Well, I think she's overpriced considering how green she is, and a month long lease sounds very out of the norm. She's cute but not spectacular so I think that her price should come way down.
    The Faded Denim pedigree that you posted is, per the JC, for a mare from South Africa. The JC does not show her as having been imported to NA; they also register Canadian TBs, so if she came here and ever had registered TB foals or raced, the JC would know and make a notation on her pedigree.
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

Pedigree Query shows her with 2 TB foals. Humble King does not get a match on Equineline. The Jacob Davies that is on PQ is a 2006 foal born in South Africa.
    If Faded Denim is the dam, one wonders how she got to Canada from South Africa and why she was bred to a Percheron stallion.

Should also mention that Equineline only has one Faded Denim in its online database. So if a TB named Faded Denim was the sire of this horse, he was unregistered.

Some one is making up a pedigree, IMHO. If she is a "registered Sport Horse out of Canada" there should be a genuine pedigree that goes along with the registration.

She's from Canada; half percheron and half TB would make me wonder if she were a PMU foal. I do know that the PMU people (NAERIC) started their own registry and that it is called the CanAm Sport Horse Program. I tend agree that she is way overpriced, given the owner's puffing.

I'd get in touch with NAERIC and ask about her. If she is a NAERIC registered PMU foal, they have some pretty nice incentive programs for them.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    The Faded Denim pedigree that you posted is, per the JC, for a mare from South Africa. The JC does not show her as having been imported to NA; they also register Canadian TBs, so if she came here and ever had registered TB foals or raced, the JC would know and make a notation on her pedigree.

If Faded Denim is the dam, one wonders how she got to Canada from South Africa and why she was bred to a Percheron stallion.

She's from Canada; half percheron and half TB would make me wonder if she were a PMU foal. I agree that she is way overpriced.
    I thought PMU right away too.

Price is possibly ok. Big, pretty sane grey mare... even if we disagree she's only overpriced if no one wants to pay that price.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

And the ad states she looks like a TB, and no she does not.

She's cute, over priced, appears VERY green, greener than the ad makes her sound. If she's working cattle and broke to a rope, I would think a sales video of more than her bucking on a lunge line and being trotted around would be available. Draft and draft Xs tend to be difficult to get cantering, has she done that yet under saddle?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

In my area she would be snatched up so quickly at that price. She is very cute and it's nice she hasn't been overworked at her age especially since she is so big. The ad does say that the price is negotiable to the right home. If you are comfortable with her level of greeness and bringing her along I would buy her.

oh jeez. :/ I'll ask her to bring a copy of her registration papers.
    I didn't realize that was a mare, Lol! oops... She sad the stallion was named Faded Denim.
    I believe she said the price is negotiable.
    I agree she doesn't look like a TB at all lol.
    as for the canter she said that she learned canter with the trainer but has a hard time and she hasn't worked with her on the canter in a while.

thanks for all the replies... glad I come here when I am going to look at a horse!
    Eventers of the West

Just got pictures of her pedigree
    She's registered with PHR (performance horse registry) under the name Sunny Dayz
    her breeders are Early Dawn Sport Horses in Canada

Sire Faded Denam 2003 grey TB http://www.pedigreequery.com/faded+denam
    Dam ED 473
    Eventers of the West

Just got pictures of her pedigree
    She's registered with PHR (performance horse registry) under the name Sunny Dayz
    her breeders are Early Dawn Sport Horses in Canada

Sire Faded Denam 2003 grey TB http://www.pedigreequery.com/faded+denam
    Dam ED 473
    Eventers of the West

I had a tb/pe who looked justed like her at that age. He turned into a great lower level eventer and went on to be an outstanding hunt horse. I agree with the PMU comment too. I would definitely haggle w/ the price. He could be stubborn but never dangerous.

What an obscure sire line. Can't wait to hear what viney has to say

I think she is cute and I like that they put a TB stallion to a cold blooded mare, rather than the other way around. They do seem a bit proud on the price, but everything is negotiable!

Almost definitely a PMU foal. http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~ruhorse/auction2009.html

Here's her NAERIC registration: http://www.naeric.org/search/horse.asp?Horse=46835

If you like her, she will be eligible for all the NAERIC programs. http://www.naeric.org/events.asp?strNav=0

The breeders are in Virden, Manitoba. They are not listed as current NAERIC breeders.

I honestly don't know whats so special about a PMU? CAn someone explain?
    Eventers of the West

Quote Originally Posted by stargzng386 View Post
    In my area she would be snatched up so quickly at that price. She is very cute and it's nice she hasn't been overworked at her age especially since she is so big. The ad does say that the price is negotiable to the right home. If you are comfortable with her level of greeness and bringing her along I would buy her.
    I agree. You can't get a draft x around here for that price. Unless it is really fugly. I think she's cute!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    I honestly don't know whats so special about a PMU? CAn someone explain?
    She was produced as a byproduct of the PMU industry in Canada, as were thousands of others. Several years ago, there were truckloads of the babies coming south and truckloads of them going to slaughter. Some were bred at least with the idea of producing something with some usefulness, but many were not.

For a long time they were a dime a dozen. Now they are not so common, since premarin has fallen out of favor.

That's the line that produced http://www.pedigreequery.com/miners+frolic, Bronze medal at hong kong, silver at London.

Lyphard is one of my favorite ND lines too.

OP- no thoughts on whether the mare is over priced, she looks like a nice horse to me, and most likely capable of doing what you want to do. When you go see her make the seller get on and canter her so you see what her canter is like.

*This is a reply to Simkie about the sire. For some reason it didn't quote! *

Ah, here she is as a baby: http://www.sableranch.net/page11.html

Premarin is made from Pregnant Mare Urine (PMU). The mares were bred and kept in stalls and their urine was collected and sent to Wyeth to make Premarin. They liked draft mares because they made a lot of urine.