The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Replacing panels on trunks

Can anyone give me an idea if it's easy and/or expensive to replace panels on trunks? Looks like a vinyl or metal trunk with wood on the inside, I'd be buying it used but I don't want to venture out to say hi to it until I'm aware of the cost.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Fairly easy, and fairly expensive. You can call any of the major trunk manufacturers to get the cost of new panels; the actual installation is generally not all that difficult.

I've generally found it "worth it" if you just need to replace a (single) damaged panel, or swap one out to "update" the monogram. When you get into repaneling the whole thing, though, I'd say you're probably better off getting a new one.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you order the panels and do it yourself, it's not too bad. Done at the company, you're in the $500 neighborhood for front, two sides and top with border only (no piping or monogramming). Plus shipping.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I did one YEARS ago to replace only the front monogram panel. Cost $150. Did it ourselves which was easy.

If you need to do more than that front panel I'd just buy a new trunk

I priced it and found it was easier just to get a new trunk if you wanted to change all of the panels.

I had a bad experience . I ordered a new top and it came in the wrong size. They wouldn't take it back! My only option is to order the rest of the trunk (now for another $800) to give me a second trunk which I don't need.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Your local tack shops might have a relationship with a good local wood-worker who could give you the best price. I haven't done it, but I have seen a gorgeously re-paneled trunk at one of the shops.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I am currently in the process of doing this for my older Warners trunk. I am going through Kelly's tack shop. It came out to be about $300 (shipping included). I have not received the panels yet, but so far the customer service has been excellent. Including two calls to make sure that I meant to Warners and then from Pheonix West to see if there was a barn I was affiliated with so that could match my colors exactly.

Having done a trunk thinking it couldn't be all that difficult.... I wouldn't do it again! I'd get a nice zipper top cover for it!

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Not wanting to hijack and all but is this about the trunks with the plastic panels, metal edges snd wood unside? I have a chance to pick up a big one but with a Standardbred logo on the front, for next nothing. Interesting...