The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    Any feed store ought to be able to get

Tribute makes a couple of complete feeds that can be fed when forage cannot be. I really like their feeds. My 20something mare does really well on their Kalm Ultra. She's not toothless, still does fine with hay and is still in work as a lesson horse so she gets the high fat (and I add their fat supplement, K Finish, in the winter), but I'll switch her to, I believe its called the 'Maturity' line, when eating hay becomes an issue.
    I am intrigued by their Maturity Line. They also make a whole line of low sugar and starch feed that is better for IR horses....I wonder why more feed manufacturers haven't realized the need there? Unfortunately the closest feed store that carries it is over 135 miles from me. I will ask my local feed guy about it though. Thanks.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Tribute is a small company and they're awesome. The nutritionist, Dr. Dan Burke is a great guy and is incredibly knowledgeable. The other thing I like about their feeds is that the formula is fixed. The price will fluctuate a bit because of this (usually its under $1 in either direction), but the formula is always the same regardless of what ingredients cost. Other companies will substitute a cheaper ingredient to keep the cost the same from batch to batch.

Purina bagged alfalfa hay is great for horses with no teeth. It is almost a powder it's so fine. I wet it well with water & feed it as a soup to a horse that has scar tissue in his small intestine & can't eat anything of any size. He gets this & Purina Senior & looks great. He's 24 yrs old.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    Purina bagged alfalfa hay is great for horses with no teeth. It is almost a powder it's so fine. I wet it well with water & feed it as a soup to a horse that has scar tissue in his small intestine & can't eat anything of any size. He gets this & Purina Senior & looks great. He's 24 yrs old.
    I board a 30 yr. old with worn out teeth, and I also feed this. He was doing ok with soaked alfalfa cubes, but this is easier and he wastes less!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

My OEP(old eventing pony) was 37 years old and eating 17 lbs Purena Equine Sr a day. I added water and he shurlped it up
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Well said PRS. Have you looked at www.standleehay.com they have all kinds of forage options, and Tractor Supply carries most of them here. Also, is it possible to do 4 meals? Sometimes it seems like the older equines get bored or overwelhmed before they finish, and small meals more often get more food in to them. Triple Crown has a new forage option too, Alfa-Lox.

I've been to Tractor supply and am familiar with Standlee products. I just purchased some alfalfa/timothy cubes in the hopes that they are less coarse than just alfalfa cubes. This week I've been feeding Purina Hydration hay with mixed results and would prefer cubes so I could better regulate the volume being fed. I think the finer quality of the hay is easier for her to eat though.

I wish I could slip a 4th meal in but I don't know if my schedule would allow it to be done consistently. There are many days I have to stay late to complete a project or report...especially since I'm getting extra time on my lunch hour to run home daily to deliver lunch
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

If you would like chopped forage www.lucernefarms.com/feeeds_forage.shtml
    Has timothy just like what is in Hydration Hay, but my horse likes it better. And they have a dealer locator. Looks like they may be in your area. I wonder if you can use chopped forage with a nibble net/box, like someone on another thread is trying to make? The thread is [ Has anyone made a hay box with nibble net sheet ]. By Kaytaz86 in this forum.
    Last edited by csaper58; Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:02 PM.