The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone know this horse?

I figured this might be the best thread to put this in. I bought my mare when she was 4 years old and she is now 12. She has no tattoo and no papers. I understand I probably will not find out much about her but I am going to try! I rescued her from a lady who had racehorses. It was suggested she might be a rare twin and is the smaller one (15.2) so she was not tattooed or papered. Any information is helpful. Her right eye is blue and her left is brown. Anyone know a stallion that is known to throw this? Blaze/white face and two hind socks as well as a front left sock. Bay TB mare. I will include a video that shows her markings as best I can. Again any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXqbs...IrLWA&index=23

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm confused. Why don't you ask the person you got her from about her background, or did they rescue her and then you got her? Also, it might be helpful to say where you got her. Narrow down this large country
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Because the person I got her from was abusive and neglectful and all she said was she had no papers. Sorry, that would be helpful information! I bought her in Maryland if that helps!

To attract more people who may know something, give as much as you can about where you found her, city, county, township or whatever. A picture might help but describe her markings exactly although the two colored eyes will help enormously. Put that you are looking for background on this mare, with the state in the title.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Thank you I will repost with your editions in a little bit. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking711 View Post
    I figured this might be the best thread to put this in. I bought my mare when she was 4 years old and she is now 12. She has no tattoo and no papers. I understand I probably will not find out much about her but I am going to try! I rescued her from a lady who had racehorses. It was suggested she might be a rare twin and is the smaller one (15.2) so she was not tattooed or papered. Any information is helpful. Her right eye is blue and her left is brown. Anyone know a stallion that is known to throw this? Blaze/white face and two hind socks as well as a front left sock. Bay TB mare. I will include a video that shows her markings as best I can. Again any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Definitely no way to figure it out from there. By the way, stallions have no control over twins, the mare has to double ovulate. Some stallions do seem to have their swimmers hang in there a bit longer than others but still not enough to help identify your mare. I know how you feel, I would give anything to know who my guy really was but in the end it doesn't really matter.

I was recently contacted by a person that owns a full brother to one of my mares. She discovered his identity via a DNA test through UC Davis. I have no idea on the cost, but if you really want to know you might check it out

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    I was recently contacted by a person that owns a full brother to one of my mares. She discovered his identity via a DNA test through UC Davis. I have no idea on the cost, but if you really want to know you might check it out
    Thanks! I will check it out!

Also Laurierace as for asking for a stallion who throws "this" I meant the blue eye but thank you I learned something haha!

Well, with the blue eye, I think she's got to be splash or frame, yes? There are not a TON of sires known for throwing splash or frame (although the blue eye could have come from the dam, too.)

It's probably fairly likely that the sire is local to you, so where you are will make a difference.

I live in Howard County, Maryland if that helps?

Not sure if my privacy setting will allow but these are pictures of her:

Face:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

and leg markings(she is the bay in the middle of this one):
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking711 View Post

Can't help with the horse id, just wanted to comment on the video. Holy cow! That was a nice ride to the jump. Brings back memories of my sister and I riding our horses bareback anywhere and everywhere.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Thank you!

You have to set it to public... can't see the pictures.

Okay I THINKK I set it to public. Try now

Can't help with the ID but she is AWESOME!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    Can't help with the ID but she is AWESOME!
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

I'd bet my left elbow that she has some Carnivalay in her. I also bet she's not a twin; the Carnivalays are really little horses. Maybe by Ameri Valay.
    Last edited by halo; Feb. 2, 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    I'd bet my left elbow that she has some Carnivalay in her. I also bet she's not a twin; the Carnivalays are really little horses. Maybe by Ameri Valay.
    Just looked them both up and she looks very similar to them!

Anyone know if there is a list somewhere that lists all of a stallions progeny for the year? I figure since my mare has no tattoo and a blue eye I should easily be able to find her out of hundreds of progeny especially since she was born 1999 or 2000 most likely 2000. Pretty sure she is by Carnivalay but I am having her DNA tested to make sure.

You have to tinker a bit with it...and pedigree query is not 100% accurate - but it does give progeny of sires and dams.

Here is Carnivalay:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/carnivalay

Put the sire name in, click Reports to select what you want and then enter.

You can sort of the columns, so if Year is best, click that. THe default to come up is Alpha by horse name.

If she is Carnivalay or other MD bred - you gotta check out Josh Pons - his family stood many nice MD sires, he wrote some fun books on TBs and now has a great FB page about the current sires. Country Life Farm and Merryland. Nice outfit. There is a chance they can help ID - the mare is very distinctive, so one that is easy to remember if Carnivalay is the sire.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Countr...441230?fref=ts

Good luck. Fun horse and fun journey!