The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeches like trophy hunters, but cheaper?

I have been trying to find the perfect breech and failing miserably. I really love my front zip, mid rise trophy hunters but $140 is too expensive for an everyday breech (I only ride in breeches.)

Is there anything out there from a "lesser" brand that is similar in fit/material but a little cheaper, like $60-70 a pair? Maybe the ovation euroweaves?

I typically wear a 30 and ordered some tuffriders that looked similar in a 32 and couldn't even button them, so sizing that runs similar would be good as well if I can find it, since I'm stuck ordering online.

Love these: http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-...x?cm_vc=Search

I'm normally a 30, but went up to a 32 since Ariat runs smaller. Funnily enough, my size 30 TuffRiders are perfect—which model did you try?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Love these: http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-...x?cm_vc=Search

I'm normally a 30, but went up to a 32 since Ariat runs smaller. Funnily enough, my size 30 TuffRiders are perfect—which model did you try?
    The ones I tried are the "Sierra."

I think some of the problem is they are low rise and I am hourglass, so a 30 midrise would fit me where a 32 lowrise might not, so a midrise breech is important. The trophy hunters are also really stretchy. I wear a 28 in a very stretchy breech like the ribbed tuffriders that used to be my go-to, but aren't as flattering to me in my pudgy middle age.

I have the Euroweaves and unfortunately they are nothing like my TS. Doesn't mean I don't like them though, and they're good for schooling.

I really like the Equine Couture ones that have the euroseat-my trainer has a couple pairs and they're decent material and fit. Thats what I'm going to get when I need some more breeches.

This is going to sound nuts, but I really like the Horze Grand Prix breeches. Disclaimer: they have a self knee patch. I have them in a medium/dark gray and didn't notice until I went to wash them but am sure it would be obvious in other colors. That said, they fit very well, look pretty much like the TS Trophy, are made from a technical type fabric, and with a constantly available coupon code cost about $55. http://www.horze.com/Horze-Grand-Pri...,en_US,pd.html

Quote Originally Posted by BostonHJ View Post
    This is going to sound nuts, but I really like the Horze Grand Prix breeches. Disclaimer: they have a self knee patch. I have them in a medium/dark gray and didn't notice until I went to wash them but am sure it would be obvious in other colors. That said, they fit very well, look pretty much like the TS Trophy, are made from a technical type fabric, and with a constantly available coupon code cost about $55. http://www.horze.com/Horze-Grand-Pri...,en_US,pd.html
    They do make them with faux-suede patch now too though! http://www.horze.com/Horze-Grand-Pri...,en_US,pd.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    They do make them with faux-suede patch now too though! http://www.horze.com/Horze-Grand-Pri...,en_US,pd.html
    I tried these, but I found the heavy cotton fabric not as flattering as a nylon blend like the TS. It appears that Equine Couture has a rip on the Animos for about $100 so I am going to try a pair of those...

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I tried these, but I found the heavy cotton fabric not as flattering as a nylon blend like the TS. It appears that Equine Couture has a rip on the Animos for about $100 so I am going to try a pair of those...
    The Horze GP actually has a lower cotton content than the TS Trophy - the Trophy is 73% cotton and the Horze GP are 53%. The Horze Active breech does have a very high cotton content and are very thick, along with having a narrower waistband (though for the price, I still love them).

I do really like my Equine Couture ones, however I will say there is a seam that runs down the back of your knee that does cause some rubbing. It doesn't do it badly enough to make me not foxhunt for hours at a time in them, but some people might not like it.

I'm of a "certain age" where low-rise is not such a good idea any more (in fact, has not been, for a number of years). I find the Ovation Celebrity DX eurowave to be very flattering, and comfy. And your shirt stays tucked in. About $85