The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rocheste NY - Horse Board Needed HELP :)

We are relocating, or trying to, to Rochester NY. My husband has a job on the east side. But i dont know the area at all, i'm still in SC and will be until we find something suitable/affordable for our two welsh ponies.

I keep searching for websites and i've found a few barns but they were $400 a month, and maybe that's the norm, but somewhere i'm sure there has to be barns in the under $300 a month category, even if i'm sacrificing an indoor or big stalls... My ponies live outside 24x7, and i keep them at home presently, i happen to know hay and feed costs me $90 a month and since i feed hay that comes from northern OH, then i know the hay prices are not that insane in NY... I happen to have air ferns. They prefer to stay out, yes, it's cold up there, these two ponies came from northern climates... I do not body clip... They are whooly mammoths.

I'm just looking for good care, someone that actually pays attention if one gets hurt, a good riding area, close location to trails would be awesome, but not required. I just dont want to have to sell one of them and at $400 a month, i'll have to.

HELP!
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

You are not likely to find a place on the east side of Rochester for under $300 a month unless you give up a ton of amenities, not just luxuries. The east side is more expensive than the west side (generally speaking).

Hay is pretty crazy around here this year. Unless you have a long term supplier who is giving you a good deal you are paying quite a bit more than you have in past years, if you can find what you are looking for.

I live in Farmington, just east of Rochester (NYS thruway exit 44). Try some places around Farmington/Canandigua, they may be cheaper. I do agree that places on the east side are more expensive. I used to board in Pittsford before I bought my own farm and paid over $500 a month. It was well worth it with great care and facility, but pricey esp. with 2 horses. Pm me if you need anymore info.

You could try the WNYDA website and check the boarding places there, and if those don't work maybe the people can point you in the right direction.

www.wnyda.org
    I LOVE my Chickens!

You might try looking on the local pony club website to see if anyone is offering a couple of stalls in a backyard barn.

30-45 minutes south of Rochester around the Geneseo area you might find something in more of your price range.... Obviously you'd have to travel more but it's beautiful horse country!! Otherwise I don't know of any places close to Rochester under 400. PM if you are interested and I can give you some numbers of some places. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by butlerfamilyzoo View Post
    My ponies live outside 24x7, and i keep them at home presently, i happen to know hay and feed costs me $90 a month and since i feed hay that comes from northern OH, then i know the hay prices are not that insane in NY...
    You've gotten good advice, and I can't help you with specific barns since I am not near Rochester. I just want to say that as you must know if you stop and think about it, MUCH MUCH more goes into board price than hay and grain. Things like taxes, mortgage, utilities, equipment, labor, maintenance etc. So I wouldn't speak to a barn with the attitude that you know things really cost $90 and they are ripping you off. (Perhaps you wouldn't, but this is the attitude I picked up from your original post). Good luck with the move.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    You've gotten good advice, and I can't help you with specific barns since I am not near Rochester. I just want to say that as you must know if you stop and think about it, MUCH MUCH more goes into board price than hay and grain. Things like taxes, mortgage, utilities, equipment, labor, maintenance etc. So I wouldn't speak to a barn with the attitude that you know things really cost $90 and they are ripping you off. (Perhaps you wouldn't, but this is the attitude I picked up from your original post). Good luck with the move.
    Good advice here from SMF11. I just gave a thumbs up to it.

Last yr some of the area in western NY had army worms desimating their hay fields so hay prices there may be much higher than you think. I know I got hay in last spring before any worms got here but I don't know about other nearby areas.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

Of course i dont expect a barn to charge $90... But i dont quite understand if i'm happy with outside with a shelter and no indoor why it needs to be more than $250 a pony to help cover their costs. And please know, i've been a barn manager in some big barns, so i fully understand the cost of indoors, heating, electric, etc... I'm just looking more for the laid back pleasure barn and i'm find if my ponies are out on a round bale, as they are now. Most everything i'm finding is the bigger show barns and such and yes, for those amenities, $400 or higher is worth it. That is just not what we need right now. We need something temporary, inexpensive, but that still have someone that actually looks at the ponies once or twice a day to make sure no one is hurt, until we can find property to buy and move them back home. This was a quick job change, i have a house in TX i have to get sold before we can buy, and i havent been able to find anything i'm looking for online, so it's going to be a get there and look with a realtor situation as far as buying land goes. My husband is starting that hunt, but i cant come until i figure out something for the ponies, and since this was a quick situation, there isnt a savings/moving fund to support $800 a month in horse board for a few months... $800 a month is more than i pay for my 12 acre farm in SC AND horse food... Thus i'm stuck here. It does not help that this particular position my husband took is a pay cut, by almost half of what we are used to making...

So please know, i'm not just el-cheapo... I just need something minimal for the ponies to get us by a few months.

I have contacted the 6 local pony clubs but have yet to hear back from any of them. I also have some welsh friends in the area that are looking for us and sent out inquiries on the CD-L driving list that people are keeping ears open for us that are somewhat local to the area. Just nothing popping up yet. My husband is going to hit the feed stores up there and see what they know of. Ideally, someone's private little backyard farm would be just fine. I really just dont need the amenities the expensive barns offer, sounds good to have an indoor and all, but just not a priority for us right now.

Thanks for the help all!

Good luck. New York is very expensive. Over the years hay has been scarce or expensive.
    I would absolutely have a plan b. If you only need it for few months, consider leaving them in your current state and shipping them up later (when your barn is ready, I'm assuming).

Have you considered leasing them out for the duration, if this is a temporary relocation?
    Or, since you have barn manager experience, work off your board or just take a salary ans pay for board and maybe have something to take home too. Good luck.

This is not a temporary relocation, it's permanent. Their current barn is at our farm in SC, if i leave, there is no one here... Which is why my son and i are still here.

My welsh cob isnt really a good lease prospect, she's "special." My son's pony is a fabulous lease prospect, and i have possible situations for that, but it's hard to tell your son he has to give up his first pony (which he just got in November and loves to death) if even for a little while.

I have actually found that property is not that badly priced in the area, nor is hay compared to what i've been paying (and paid in TX). Taxes are high, yes, but otherwise, nothing else has shocked me. Not even the $400 a month board, as the barns that are charging that offer good options. I just need something cheaper with less amenities for a few months. There has to be those barns somewhere there, or someone with extra space wanting to make a little extra cash at their backyard farm. I just have to find them.

Yes, we might be building, BUT, all i need is electrobrade fencing and a good 3 sided shelter, so that's a quick fix for the ponies. However, might not be building if we find the right land/home option.

Check your PMs
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I know of someone in Honeyoe Falls that may have a few openings and would be in your price range. I'll reach out to her and see what she has.

Welcome to the area! Nice to have some new blood to the horse world here. If you need any help settling in, just ask!