The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sleekez?

Hi! Has anyone tried this product? Is it a 'wonder product' or should I just stick with the curry and shedding blade?

They aren't new! I remember seeing one around the barn, and nobody used it much.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

$20 and free shipping, money back guarantee...I'll try it. If it doesn't work it goes back! (Yup, I'm a sucker.)

Haha, sucker here too, I hadn't heard of this yet, I'm using a furminator at present, but I just ordered one too. I shall report back.
    I hate shedding out horses, so any handy tool that speeds up the chore is a must-have, lol.

they really work!! BUT they get "gunked-up" pretty easily because the teeth are small. the only thing i can compare it to is a very fine toothed metal handsaw blade (sorry if that sounds confusing!). i don't think is works quite as well as they show in the video but it does a good job and it is a better choice for thinner skinned (sensitive) horses

My TB, very sensitive skinned (hates anything but a super soft brush, hates curries, etc.) HATED this thing.

I gave it to a barn friend that has a QH with a super shaggy coat. That friend loves it come shedding season
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Love mine. Have one for the dogs and one for the horses.

Hmmmmm, I'm thinking of getting the smaller version for my kiddo and her pony. She does use a curry, but we only get her part of the time and this might speed up grooming during the small amounts of riding time she gets. Idk, I'm kinda torn cuz it seems so gimmicky and I'm trying to instill good horse grooming/handling skills, but it don't want her to lose interest because grooming gets harder in the spring!

I have one of each. I prefer the smaller dog sized one for use on my horses. It is easier to handle and move over the horses body.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    Hmmmmm, I'm thinking of getting the smaller version for my kiddo and her pony. She does use a curry, but we only get her part of the time and this might speed up grooming during the small amounts of riding time she gets. Idk, I'm kinda torn cuz it seems so gimmicky and I'm trying to instill good horse grooming/handling skills, but it don't want her to lose interest because grooming gets harder in the spring!
    I can get more hair off the horses using the sleekez then a curry or shedding blade. I have found to keep the gunk build up to a minimum flip the sleekez in your hand every so often, and brush the edge with a stiff brush. I wont use anything else to help shed my horses out.