The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Local CL-er wants to try horse meat: What say you?

I saw this ad today in my local (Oregon) CL:

"I'm curious to try horse meat. If you have slaughtered horses in the area, I will buy some meat from you. I don't want to pay a lot now, but if I like it I might buy again.

I don't know what else to say but I'd want decent quality, disease free, safe to eat, etc.

The sooner the better. Thanks!"

I wrote back with a "heads up" fact that I learned here about how just adulterated US horse meat is. Also, I added that people tend to eat the loins-- not a huge slab of rump, and that horsemeat is leaner than beef but sweeter.

Did I get that right? Anything you'd add?

FYI: We do have a local auction here that has a few KB's skulking around. Also, we have a safari/big cat park in the middle of the state that will accept horses without too much muss or fuss about their drug history.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

We knew some people who had a son who butchered a horse to put in the freezer like a beef. They were surprised at how good it was. I wondered about with- drawl times from routine vaccines the horse may have had? We use dewormers on beef, sheep, goats and pigs so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I would be leery about buying " meat" we hadn't butchered here on our place though.......

1 members found this post helpful.

A nicely fed horse with a known history and not medicated prior to slaughter is likely healthier than the steak you can pick up out of your grocers freezer. It's my understanding that the meat is lean and has more iron than beef.

While I wouldn't eat one of MY horses, I would try horse if it were available and I knew it was humanely slaughtered.

8 members found this post helpful.

O.O oh my..... I have a can of steamed horse meat in my cabinet a friend brought me from mongolia as a "gift" maybe I should send him that lol

Should I place a CL ad for my horse that he wants to try people meat.

16 members found this post helpful.

I've got one that I'd sell to someone to butcher as long as I knew they would kill her humanely. Dumpling is fat and has had no exposure to drugs. She is older, probably around 15 or so. Does that make them tougher? She is also crippled, has heaves, doesn't like people and is prone to kick.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    I've got one that I'd sell to someone to butcher as long as I knew they would kill her humanely. Dumpling is fat and has had no exposure to drugs. She is older, probably around 15 or so. Does that make them tougher? She is also crippled, has heaves, doesn't like people and is prone to kick.
    I would opt for turning her into burger, not steaks, just like you'd do with an older cow.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

I've read that teenaged horses are more tender, and foals are quite tough--the opposite of beef.

This time of year, the hide can also be quite nice to hang on the wall or display on the floor

So you never gave her a tab of bute for her pain from being "crippled" or treated her heaves? That is sickening.

19 members found this post helpful.

I don't even know where to start with some of these comments.

15 members found this post helpful.

I am certain several of these posts are trolling for reactions, not worth getting up in arms.

That said, this is not a troll post: I lived in France for a little while, and I ate horsemeat while I lived there.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    So you never gave her a tab of bute for her pain from being "crippled" or treated her heaves? That is sickening.
    Agreed. . I actually have much more of an issue with that poster not treating their COPD Crippled horse, then I do with the ad on CL...

9 members found this post helpful.

Dumpling is fat and has had no exposure to drugs. She is older, probably around 15 or so. Does that make them tougher? She is also crippled, has heaves, doesn't like people and is prone to kick.
    No wonder.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

3 members found this post helpful.

Come to Britain and buy a cheapo value burger from Tesco.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    I am certain several of these posts are trolling for reactions, not worth getting up in arms.

That said, this is not a troll post: I lived in France for a little while, and I ate horsemeat while I lived there.
    I didn't post this here so as to troll. I don't have an opinion one way or the other for this CL-er, as I believe that horses here in Oregon are going to be shipped to slaughter one way or another. Since that's the case, I did want to offer some of what I had learned here so that this person wasn't hurt by the adulterated meet we have floating around in the US. I have read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle (1906), so I can't *not* say something if I think someone is going after gnarly meat.

Don't believe me?

Here's the e-mail I send to the CL-er:

"Dear HorseMeat Curious,

No comment or judgment on your interest, but you should know that most horses slaughtered in the US have received lots and lots of medications during their life. European eaters frown on this and meat-animal horses are much better regulated there.

Just a friendly "heads up" for you.

Oh, and I think folks prefer the muscles from the loin. The larger muscles from shoulder and rump are tougher. Also, they describe horse meat as leaner than beef, but sweeter, too.

Best wishes,

-[mvp]"
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

color me curious: But currently there is no commercial slaughter of horses in the US, and if I am not mistaken you may not sell meat - horse or other - that has not been inspected...

soooo, the CL poster could be somebody trying to frame the evil horse eaters?

It's not hard to find horsemeat on the net, to have it shipped to your house!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I've read that teenaged horses are more tender, and foals are quite tough--the opposite of beef.

This time of year, the hide can also be quite nice to hang on the wall or display on the floor
    The old timers who lived through the formative years of the west in both countries would eat old horses. This practice carried on through the 30s and tinto the 40s and still continues in some very remote areas. These people always said the older the animal the more tender the meat and young animals were like shoe leather. When you are in the middle of nowhere, meat is meat, and sometimes a horse had to be shot (no vets then in most areas) and the old waste not, want not attitude took over.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

5 members found this post helpful.

OP, sorry, my troll suspicion wasn't directed at you at all. Some of the subsequent comments seemed purposely outrageous/tongue in cheek.
    Would be interesting to hear if the CLer responds to your email.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I didn't post this here so as to troll. I don't have an opinion one way or the other for this CL-er, as I believe that horses here in Oregon are going to be shipped to slaughter one way or another. Since that's the case, I did want to offer some of what I had learned here so that this person wasn't hurt by the adulterated meet we have floating around in the US. I have read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle (1906), so I can't *not* say something if I think someone is going after gnarly meat.

Don't believe me?

Here's the e-mail I send to the CL-er:

"Dear HorseMeat Curious,

No comment or judgment on your interest, but you should know that most horses slaughtered in the US have received lots and lots of medications during their life. European eaters frown on this and meat-animal horses are much better regulated there.

Just a friendly "heads up" for you.

Oh, and I think folks prefer the muscles from the loin. The larger muscles from shoulder and rump are tougher. Also, they describe horse meat as leaner than beef, but sweeter, too.

Best wishes,

-[mvp]"
    European eaters don't just frown at eating horsemeat that is from horses given banned substances. The meds we use are BANNED in animals for food.

Actually they do just frown on it because they are eating our horses banned medications and all every day of the week. Supposedly that will change this year but is very much happening now.