The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When did the Rhino denier count go up?

I am selling a used Rhino Wug. It is brown plaid and I bought it 3 years ago from Dover. I don't know what year it was actually made of course. I only used it a few times because it just does not get that cold where I live. An EBay buyer just emailed me to ask what the denier strength was. I have no idea. Does anyone reading this know? Thanks

Did anyone else read "Rhino denier" like "climate change denier"? And I thought you meant that there were more and more people denying the existence of rhinos.

Sorry, that was not helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Um...did it? It's always been my understanding that Rambo and Rhino are 1000 denier ballistic nylon and the Amigo line is 1200 denier nylon (single weave, not ballistic).

If it helps you sell the thing, you can tell your buyer that material engineers have proven that pound for pound, a 1000-denier ballistic nylon is stronger than a 1200, 1400, 1680, etc. denier single-weave nylon. There's a paragraph in Wikipedia that explains it very clearly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_nylon

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd just tell them it is at least 1000 denier as that seems to hold true for Rhino as far back as I remember. They might be thinking of the Amigo line where some things come in 600 denier vs the 1200 ... Rhino, AFAIK, was always just one denier across the board.

The Rhinos are NOT ballistic nylon that is why they are so much cheaper than the Rambo line and why most people don't like them - they don't hold up anywhere near the Rambos. Just check out either the Smartpak or Dover Saddlery websites.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

The rhinos are 1000 denier polypropylene, not nylon.