The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nosebag feeders

Does anyone use nosebag feeders and is it really convenient? One of my mares who is outside 24/7 recently started to let other horses steal her supplement when she decides she had enough. She is in foal and I think she lost a bit of weight in this cold weather. I take her in and out at feeding time right now, but I'm pregnant myself and already have tons of work, so it wouldn't hurt to find an easier way to deal with this...

Thanks!

Bag feeders can be great but you still need to be able to have someone there to keep an eye on things and remove the bag. In a boarding environment especially, it would not be very safe to have the horse out loose with other horses while using a feed bag.

We've had up to 8 horses at a time where everyone had bag feeders out in the paddock but they were all our horses and we were right there doing other chores and keeping an eye out. I would not recommend putting one on her without her being tied or stalled. So I don't know that it will really save you any work.

If she's not finishing her feed, you may need to consider modifying her regimen or feeding in smaller amounts more times per day. (PITA, I know)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

We have. If the horse is the bottom ofthe pecking order, the others may still try to push her around.

You can slip over ears or buckle.

I prefer the type with mesh in the front.

We own the barn and all the horses are ours. She is out with two younger mares, and is the alpha. We are planning to move one of her two companions in another paddock. The paddocks are 80' x 300' so lots of room to move around for 2-3 horses. Of course I would keep an eye on her...

I've fed many a grouping of horses with those type of feeders. I agree with keeping an eye out but I've never tied them up to feed them just go out in the paddock, put the bags on each horse, do my other chores, and then take them off as soon as they are done. Kept them from eating dirt or each others food.

We used them in a boarding situation with group turn out. They worked fine. The bottom of the pecking order horses figured out that the food went with them, and the bullies also figured out that the food went with them. Chasing came to an end after a little while, and every one settled down to eat. Bt the time the last pasture was fed, the first pasture was ready to have the nosebags off. Worth a try!

I find them convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBrooksFarm View Post
    I've fed many a grouping of horses with those type of feeders. I agree with keeping an eye out but I've never tied them up to feed them just go out in the paddock, put the bags on each horse, do my other chores, and then take them off as soon as they are done. Kept them from eating dirt or each others food.
    Agree with TwoBrooks and arlosmine -- I feed all 11 horses (in 3 groups) here using feedbags and it is very easy and drama-free. I put the nosebags on in descending order of the pecking order (start w/alpha horse first, and all the others wait their turn, on down the line). All the horses here have figured out that it is pointless to try and steal someone else's food.

I put one herd's on, then go put the second herd's on, then the third's. Then I go back to the first herd and remove, the second etc.

I like Cashel's version.

I love, love, LOVE them and have been using them for years. I think they are incredibly convenient. They greatly decrease fighting at feeding time, no stealing feed, and you know for certain if they ate all their supplements or meds.

I prefer the Cashel Feed Rite bags, too. They're pretty durable and functional and the mesh sides are safer than canvas for horses that try to drink while wearing them (which is most horses).

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I would not recommend putting one on her without her being tied or stalled. So I don't know that it will really save you any work.
    This is just my opinion, but I think it CREATES a dangerous situation to tie or stall with a feedbag on. I think tying while feeding is just dangerous, period. The only time I've had horses get their feedbags hung up on anything was while in the stall (luckily they rip easily). I prefer them out in the pasture with supervision nearby.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Thanks! I guess I will order a couple of these and try it. I wouldn't use this in a stall, I never even let a halter on, too afraid of a horse getting caught on something.

I've tried one, and will probably try one again in different situations. I had two issues that made me stop using it.

First, this problem. However, if everyone is wearing it, it's not a problem, and if you don't have an evil donkey, it's not a problem.

The second problem, which was most likely a product of the first problem, was the horse started not letting the BO put the nosebag on and would run from her. She doesn't get paid enough to deal with that, so now she just kicks one critter out of the paddock and feed the horse on whatever side of the fence he winds up on, while the donkey looks on in sullen disdain.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Haha! No cutie evil donkey here!!

Really cute donkey picture!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I have used the cashel feed rite bag on my messy eater and its worked out great. Keeps him from spilling half of the expensive triple crown feed when he takes a bite and walks around to look at everything.

The last set of cashels I purchased did not last. I admit my Morgan mares are tuff on stuff....especially when feed is involved. But this group of 3 bags I purchased lasted only a couple weeks. Previous orders lasted months to over a year before the bags were too beat up to hold feed. I think they are not made as sturdy anymore.

Overall they work great for feeding our four who all like to sample eachothers' food. I've got one who scrapes his teeth along the bottom and goes through them every six months or so. And my mare flings her head so hard to get to the bottom that she loosed pellets out the top. They're maybe not the smartest bunch But it works great for feeding the group outside!

We put on alpha mare's first, work our way down the line, then dole out hay and fill water while keeping an eye on things. They know when they're done to wander over to the hay pile and we pull off the masks. Every now and then they beat us and nose around trying to get hay through the bag

I just started using a Cashel bag this summer because my mare would dribble her grain out while staring and then the barn dogs would eat it and throw it up later. My mare is turned out in a herd of 6 others, so it would be hard to grain her without bringing her in if I didn't have the bag. Sometimes the other horses stand around and try to grab her bag, but I usually lead her away from the group and stand with a whip and they leave her alone. I always take the bag off as soon as she is done, and I think that helps reduce the wear and tear on it. When she gets down to the last bits of feed she puts her head all the way to the ground so I know she is almost done.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I think it would be easier to move her and feed her alone. That way you can put her feed out and she can clean it up as she wishes. I just know that if I put a feed bag on any of my horses that the other 2 with out the bag would harass the one wearing it ( knowing there was feed in there).

Thanks everyone! I just ordered two and will give it a try. If her young companion is bothering her, which I doubt, I will try putting a little something for her in the second bag to keep her busy.

It won't hurt to try it!