The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    And my point was that it's a pretty big state and virtually impossible to list all the BNTs therein. Especially when it seems unlikely that's really what the OP wanted to know.
    What is it that you think the OP really wanted to know?

Quote Originally Posted by tricolor View Post
    I am guessing a good trainer in her general geographic area who she might be able to take a lesson with. And I am highly doubting she defines her general geographic area as PITTSBURGH etc. I can't recall exactly where she is but it's nowhere near the western part of the state. IIRC it's somewhat central/eastern but I can't remember exactly which is why it'd be so much better if she asked a better/more specific question.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

she's already said the Erie area.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolor View Post
    Obviously you don't know the OP's posting history. I think if you did you'd better understand why it's hard for the rest of us to take this request seriously.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Obviously you don't know the OP's posting history. I think if you did you'd better understand why it's hard for the rest of us to take this request seriously.
    No, I don't. But does it matter? If you don't think it is serious, then why reply at all?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    she's already said the Erie area.
    She hadn't specified when I original responded. And then you asked me why "PA" isn't specific enough and I told you. In the meantime, she said Erie. Unfortunately I don't know that area at all so I have no suggestions for that part of the state. Closest I know of to Erie is Central PA which is admittedly not that close-- and I gave the one recommendation I knew there. It's a big state. I suspect precious few people have intimate knowledge of the horsey scene in all four corners (and the center) of PA.
    ~Veronica

Jerre has recently retired.
    friend of bar*ka

I'm interested in this too.
    How about twenty mile radius of Palmerton, PA?

Sometimes wonder how people are defining the "B" in BNT H/J trainers. How big is the big here?

JMO but it should be restricted to those trainers known by the majority of H/J show folk on a National basis and there are probably only 100 or so nationwide that really fit the lable.

So, most CAN name the 3 or 4 true H/J BNTs in Ohio and maybe a dozen or so in PA. Some states have more, many states don't have any as they tend to locate in areas with reasonable access to multiple AA show venues and major population centers known for higher average income. And some are private, not public trainers.

So, for Tiffany, who IMO, has been basically honest in her questions and, I think, is actually looking for knowledge...can you get from Erie to the Cleveland area or Buffalo? There are several H/J trainers that most would consider BNTs in those relatively close by areas.

Or, maybe you would consider and MNT (medium name), a LBNT (local bnt) or even a NNT (basically unknown)? Most BNTs started at those points and most of them would love your business and help you and your horse advance.

And, as always, beware of the reasons why "everybody knows" a BNT's name. Sometimes it's not for any quality results in the national ring or even anything good at all. A few are real dirt bags. But everybody knows the name so they must be good, right?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

If Buffalo is an option, then Susie Schoellkopf or other instructors at her barn would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    She hadn't specified when I original responded. And then you asked me why "PA" isn't specific enough and I told you. In the meantime, she said Erie. Unfortunately I don't know that area at all so I have no suggestions for that part of the state. Closest I know of to Erie is Central PA which is admittedly not that close-- and I gave the one recommendation I knew there. It's a big state. I suspect precious few people have intimate knowledge of the horsey scene in all four corners (and the center) of PA.

I hadn't asked you anything. My post about her saying the Erie area was my first in this thread. It seemed that you were too insistent on bickering and missed that the OP answered your question.

I was corresponding with tricolor about why specifics are helpful. I realize quoting your post made it seem like I was responding to you, but I was actually trying to respond to tricolor.
    ~Veronica

If OP asks for "a BNT in PA," and you can think of "a BNT in PA," then list whatever BNT in PA. The OP can then decide who works for her geographically or not. The OP can decide if she wants go narrow the focus by listing specific areas, or broaden it by asking about surrounding states. Meanwhike someone else who happens to live down the road from Louise Serio may read this thread, or search for "PA trainers" six months down the line. You may help someone who is curious who is not the OP.

I asked COTH about Houston trainers once and people were so busy telling me Houston is BIG (really??!) oh, and also HOT (nuh uh!!) that I got almost no recommendations of actual trainers. I had planned to visit all four quadrants and check out trainers in all of them before figurong out where to put the horses and look for an apartment but people were so busy asking me where I was going to live (HADN'T DECIDED YET, THANKS) and lecturing me about humidity and traffic that out of all the trainers in Houston I got like two recommendations in three pages.

So that was phenomenally helpful, both to me and to anyone who searches "Houston trainers" in the future.

So if anyone knows a PA BNT, for the love of God just list them.

OP, all the ones I would list have been mentioned already.
    Am interested to see if anyone lists someone I hadn't thought of.

2 members found this post helpful.