The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

$35 for a DVM chiropractor in NW Indiana/SW Michigan. Add a $30 farm call (she's 30 miles away from my horses), and a $35 initial consult fee for the first visit. All she does is canine and equine chiropractic, and equine dentistry.

She is great and yes, I'm very lucky

The $100-200 fees that some folks charge is robbery for a 20-30 minute service.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    $35 for a DVM chiropractor in NW Indiana/SW Michigan. Add a $30 farm call (she's 30 miles away from my horses), and a $35 initial consult fee for the first visit. All she does is canine and equine chiropractic, and equine dentistry.

LOL, you obviously have no idea what it costs to run a veterinary business!

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    I only bring it up because if someone has little or no training and aren't suppose to be doing it, it is not right to have other people think you can get it done that cheap. Sadly, much like people that call themselves equine dentists. Sure you can pay $40 for a float, but it's a complete waste!
    My vet recommends my dentist. He does HER horses.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Mine is $95. DVM who specializes in chiro and accupuncture. Comes every 6 weeks and my horse loves her!

In SC... $90-120, depending on if you go to her or she comes to you (and how far she has to travel). She also gives you a small break if you pay cash. She's awesome.. Vet and chiropractor, also does acupuncture.

$75 per horse in Western NY. $175 per horse in Central Florida Both DVMs. No separate barn call fee.

LOL, you obviously have no idea what it costs to run a veterinary business!
    You think $200-600 an hour is appropriate compensation for an someone with an ambulatory practice and no employees?
    I disagree.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

My sports medicine vet drives in to do all of my dental, chiropractic, and acupuncture work. He is wonderful and due to his experience with track horses, he is very calm and soothing for our hot mares. It usually comes out to around $90 with the travel fee IIRC. He takes copious notes about what he did, the results, and the timeline for the next appointment.

OP not sure where in Central PA you are but Patsy Pagano charges $100. She massages them and gets them nice and loose first then adjusts them. She's really helped Boy a lot.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

OK, not trying to be mean here at all but you are getting the wool pulled over your eyes. The reason it is only $35 is because it is not a legit business, they have no insurance, they are not certified in chiro, they have no business practicing veterinary med, hmmm and probably many other things! This is like saying that your hair dresser charges $20 for chiro on your horse and is certified to do so! I am actually surprised it isn't cheaper since they are not legit and have no training. You may want to do your homework, they can't be certified in chiro.

I only bring it up because if someone has little or no training and aren't suppose to be doing it, it is not right to have other people think you can get it done that cheap. Sadly, much like people that call themselves equine dentists. Sure you can pay $40 for a float, but it's a complete waste!

Thank you for your opinion. I have to say that I felt the same way before working with this person - thought they were a quack and a waste of time and money. Gave it a shot, then listened to my horse. While I don't buy in to all the woowoo stuff, I do think that it makes a difference in the way my horse moves, his overall comfort, and his soundness.

And yes, she is an LLC, does have insurance, and is certified in bodywork. Just not a DVM. The incredibly well respected DVM who lives next door to her also uses her for bodywork.

I did take my horse to the local veterinary hospital and had him worked on by the DVM that was certified in chiro. While it worked, I saw less change in him and his comfort, and it was by far more expensive.

So while I understand what you are saying, I think that there are different paths that work for different horses. I think I found one that works for mine.

Los Angeles/Moorpark: Licensed vet, chiro & accupuncture: $250 cash or $280 check.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

IMO, if the practitioner doesn't have a CURRENT certification from the AVCA it sin't worth the risk.

The AVCA certifies Vets and human (Doctors of Chiropractic) in animal chiropractic and requires updates to the certification every 3 years.

http://animalchiropractic.org/certif...mation.htm#Why ACCC Certification

$100-$175 per visit.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post

hmm well I pay about $260 and my vet/chiro/accupuncturist is there for easily 2 hours working on her sometimes. So it seems like everyone does something different... doesn't mean it's robbery. I would sure agree if I paid that for a 20 min service.

Eastern KS. $85 if at the clinic but my guy is low. All the other chiro vets want him to raise his rate to the $150 per visit they charge but he won't do that because he wants to see his clients and not have $$ be an issue.

Mine is $80, plus a $25 call fee, which is waived if you have 3 or more horses. We are very close to their home location, I think the call fee changes if there is major milage happening.

She's a certified for humans and equines, and I find her much more thorough and the horses have consistently responded better than when the vet who is certified was doing them.