The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default High quality lesson barns for the serious rider around the Toronto- Ottawa area?

Asking for a friend who's currently horseless, but is looking to purchase a young prospect within the next 1-3 years. Wants to learn on quality, capable lesson horses with the option to show a little bit (if possible, realize it's a long shot).

Willing to shell out $$$ for GOOD lessons and is willing to drive a good distance 2-3x a week for them. Was previously a hunter (foxhunting "hunter") and is looking to get really, genuinely serious about hunter/jumper land. Very gutsy, athletic, hardworking, young rider in her early 20's.

Names or recommendations would be fabulous and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Uh Toronto is about 4hrs from Ottawa...so there is no Ottawa-Toronto area! I know I wouldn't want to drive 4 hours 2 or 3 times a week (8hrs both ways) especially in the winter for lessons......Where exactly is she?
    There's definitely more choice in Toronto ....we are quite lacking in Ottawa.

2 members found this post helpful.

She lives almost right in between them, more on the TO side .

Seriously these two cities are not even remotely close to each other. I live in Toronto and it took me 6 1/2 hours to drive to Ottawa two days ago in a bit of a snowstorm. Half way?????? Kingston, Brockville area perhaps? Really you need to narrow the location for any suitable suggestions.

It's just under 2 hours to Toronto and just over 3 hours to Ottawa (from Peterborough area). She's willing to drive it, and she certainly will for the perfect place, so the options are definitely open.

Endless Journey is in Peterborough. I dont have really any inside information on that farm, but have seen their stalls up at some of the A shows. Might be worth checking them out. http://www.endlessjourneyfarm.com/

I believe Stoney Fields also opperates out of Peterborough area. They are very much a high quality hunter/jumper show stable, however I think they have two locations. Highly recommend this one if you are interested in persuing showing at the A level. http://www.stoneyfields.ca/

I will second the Stoney Fields suggestion. Lois and Peter are fantastic hunter/equitation coaches. However, you will have difficulty finding anyone with A circuit quality lesson horses. Most trainers/coaches in that area will expect you to lease a mount until you purchase your own. Peterborough is about 1.5 - 2 hours away from the real horse country of Caledon/King City/Schomberg where there is an abundance of fantastic coaches. PM me if you want more specifics.

Endless Journey is possibly the closest.

Di Langmuir is out of Stonewood in Ajax.

Natalie Smith at monterra farms is amazing with some Super quality horses to lesson on- great teaching methods. Also in Ajax.

1 members found this post helpful.

I do think even the Peterborough area will be to far from Ottawa. She would have to drivealong highway 7, and that can be brutal. However, if she doesn't find anything that isclose, we are 1 hour west of ottawa. You can check out the barn web site. My son boardshis jumper there. Lovely horses, top notch trainer.www.tayvalleyvarm.com
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

I've heard good things about Synergy (Lauren Hunkin) as well as Stony Fields.

I mean the biggest two trainers in that area would be Ian Millar and Jill Hensilwood, but Ian is in Perth and Juniper is out in Wakefiled QC

Oh! NorthRidge Farms run by the Hayes is out in Orangeville. Thats a really nice place

Quote Originally Posted by SSacky View Post
    I've heard good things about Synergy (Lauren Hunkin) as well as Stony Fields.

I mean the biggest two trainers in that area would be Ian Millar and Jill Hensilwood, but Ian is in Perth and Juniper is out in Wakefiled QC

Oh! NorthRidge Farms run by the Hayes is out in Orangeville. Thats a really nice place
    Juniper Farms is in Oxford Mills Ontario.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Driving 3 hours 3 times a week? With the price of gas it would almost be cheaper for her to buy her own farm and half a dozen nice horses. Part boarding at a nice A barn with a BNT (if she can find one that offers it) is in the $700 to $900 range.

Quaker Valley is in Uxbridge (just over an hour) with Erin Howard. Stonewood is in Pickering area (also just over an hour) with Di Langmuir. Monterra is in Claremont with Natalie Smith.

I don't know if any of them offer lesson horses or part boards, though.

PM sent

You guys are the BEST and are so so helpful! Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Juniper Farms is in Oxford Mills Ontario.
    Woops, I looked it up and apparently didn't look close enough. Now if you are in Wakefield and would like veggies there is a Juniper Farms selling produce

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SSacky View Post
    Woops, I looked it up and apparently didn't look close enough. Now if you are in Wakefield and would like veggies there is a Juniper Farms selling produce
    Juniper doesn't have a web site and Jill will be in California right now. I dont think she does the lesson thing, and pretty sure Ian doesn't.
    There has to be some good barns near T.O
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Stonewood, trainer is Di Langmuir. Located in north Pickering, half hour east of Toronto. Gorgeous facility!
    Www.stonewoodequestrian.ca

Windy Hill in Port Perry with Claire Turnbull. She has quite a few exceptional horses available for lessons.
    www.windyhill.ca

Another recommendation for Natalie Smith at Monterra Farms - she does offer both lessons & part boards - about an hour from Peterborough.

PM Sent!