The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Cleaning leather gloves?

So my poor leather show gloves got soaked last time i went xcountry schooling due to an earlier-than-expected thunderstorm (everything got drenched -_-) So they look quite pathetic at the moment. What is the best way to clean them and get the "life" back into them? Should i soak them in mink oil, or treat them like a saddle and do the soap + conditioner routine?

I put them on and then "wash my hands" with saddle soap. Then wipe them dry, and then "lotion up" my hands with a small amount of lederbalsm.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

Try this: put them on your hands. Wash them with saddle soao (assuming the gloves are not clean) then take them off. Place flat on a towel and roll the towel up flattening as you go. Press as much water out as you can, then unroll the towel, put gloves back on your hands, and add a conditioner like the old Vogel. Rub vigorously as though applying hand lotion, until all the glove is conditioned. Take them off, place on a clean towel, shape and let dry. This should keep them soft and the same size as you started with.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiewoo View Post
    Try this: put them on your hands. Wash them with saddle soao (assuming the gloves are not clean) then take them off. Place flat on a towel and roll the towel up flattening as you go. Press as much water out as you can, then unroll the towel, put gloves back on your hands, and add a conditioner like the old Vogel. Rub vigorously as though applying hand lotion, until all the glove is conditioned. Take them off, place on a clean towel, shape and let dry. This should keep them soft and the same size as you started with.
    Oh i will have to try that, so i am washing them but using saddle soap as my "hand soap"?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but how often do people clean their leather gloves? I am afraid that if I get too much moisture on them they will mold...

Honestly...I stick them in the wash, let them air dry, and then ride in them once dry. I wash them infrequently though and I've never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAtTheBarn View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but how often do people clean their leather gloves? I am afraid that if I get too much moisture on them they will mold...
    I only do it when they start to get a little funky smelling. When they start to rival the hubby's hockey gear it's time to clean them

That being said...real leather gloves I don't find I clean that much at all. Now my synthetic SSGs are a different story. They stink up very quickly!!

Leather Laundry is perfect for gloves. I just put them in the washing machine with my half chaps and sheepskin pads, and everything comes out looking (and smelling) great. In the warmer, sweatier months I'll wash my gloves probably once per month, less so in the cold, and it hasn't worn them out yet.

If it fits in the washer I wash it!! When gloves come out of the machine put them on, and rub in a little leather conditioner. Since I am too lazy to walk back to the barn, I rub in hand cream. Hand cream works equally as well. The gloves are now shaped to your hand. Air dry.

I wash them in the washing machine with leather laundry. Careful what you put in with them though. Some will bleed.

Not to hijack, but how do you all clean synthetic gloves like the roeckl?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I put them on and then "wash my hands" with saddle soap. Then wipe them dry, and then "lotion up" my hands with a small amount of lederbalsm.
    Exactly what I do, although I don't limit myself to saddle soap, and will use any type of product that is good for cleaning/conditioning leather.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Not to hijack, but how do you all clean synthetic gloves like the roeckl?
    I hand wash them with a little Woolite or any soap, rinse and hang to dry. I have even put them in a little mesh bag and thrown them in the washing machine on the delicate cycle.