The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seeking Mr. Light

I have a very nicely bred Rubinstein I/Donnerhall Hanoverian mare, 16.3, big girl. Pretty and feminine in the face, decent neck and a sweet temperament. Unfortunately she is heavy on the forehand and a bit close in the back legs. I'd like to breed her this spring. So, I'm looking for a stallion that can lighten up her forehand, add some to her back end and improve those rear legs.

I love Rotspon but read "make sure you use a mare with a good back end" so that eliminates him. I like Londonderry among others. I'd appreciate any suggestions for stallions that tend to improve what I've noted. Also frozen semen quality of stallion suggestions.

Thanx!

take a look at Benidetto! he is lighten up most and has crossed very well with Donnerhall line horses! as well as R-line

Look on Facebook and www.hiddenacresdressage.com
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, he is lovely. One to consider. Do you offer fresh as well as frozen?

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

I think that Sir Wanabi is also one to consider, given your requirements. http://www.sirwanabi.com and available fresh.

Maybe you should have a look at some of the Dutch stallions that are uphill, with a longer front leg, such as Ampere. He is approved Hanoverian.

He's definitely in the running! I like him a lot!

i wouldn't want to put Rotspon on your mare's breeding due to the over use of the Rubinstein blood but have never heard of any problem with Rotspon's rear engine. I've had 4 of them & they have tremendously big/powerful butts.
    I do know that if you want a swinging back, Rotspon's the way to go.
    I also like the Dutch horses.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

She is actually a Royal Anthony I (Rosenkavalier) daughter. I said she was Rubinstein I/Donnerhall bred.

That is good to know about Rotspon. The book "Making of the Modern Warmblood" is where I read the statement re. the backend. Not at home right now or would otherwise quote who wrote it. Do you have any pics of yours to post? What dams were they out of?
    Last edited by River Maiden; Jan. 29, 2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: want to add

All of mine out of my SPS Walt Disney/Duden mare. Also have seen zillions of others & personally haven't noticed the rear end thing. You can see some of mine on my shutterfly site. The chestnut filly in the 1st 3 pics is the last one, now coming 2 yrs.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

That is one stunning filly! Looks to display quite a bit of her dam as well. How old is she in the pics?

Found that info in Making of the Modern Warmblood, page 647, then director of the HV, Dr. Wilkens in review of the 2000 stallion licensing, "After viewing the first extensive group of stallion prospects by Rotspon, we advise the breeders who wish to breed to this sire to make sure that the dam has a well shaped top-line and very correctly positioned hind legs. His offspring show overall a very nice trot movement, an attractive canter and a satisfactory or even better walk." His impressive progeny speaks for itself, quite impressive for sure.

As stated in my initial post, "I love Rotspon". Almost bought one of his daughter's once but the seller was very unprofessional and acted inappropriately so passed. The mare was very lovely, beautifully set on neck and pretty, feminine head, correct all around.