The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddle for shark finned OTTB.... sigh

My horse has finally put on the weight, is getting fitter and the sad reality is he will never grow into my HDR Lexus wide tree saddle.

Please COTH saddle peeps chime in. I dread the new saddle search but it is neccesary that I have to start looking and the sooner the better.

thanks!
    GB
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Passier Grand Gilbert

To fit him? try something with a cutback pommel (passier and keiffer come to mind), which should give more clearance. I've also seen amerigos fit the TB type quite well, even the shark-like. However, I haven't seen the amerigos fit too many people that well. The blocks seem to get in the way.

My Albion high-head narrow tree saddle clears my horse's big tb withers, as well as my Wintec Isabell with a narrow or med-narrow gullet. It still depends on how the rest of the horse is shaped though, some have flatter backs, some curvier, etc. I recently saw this video about saddle fitting for tb's and thought there was some good info in it http://youtu.be/JvHUkp1Hu4g
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

The PDS Showtime is available with "Alto" panels... fuller and wider at the front to accomodate the shape of the back under those high withers, and also fuller under the cantle to allow the saddle to sit level. My high-wither OTTB (with an otherwise flat back) is very happy in one. Good quality and decent price point (I got mine at The Farm House for $2345). BUT... the flap is very straight and the external block is pretty big - might cause a problem if you've got a very long thigh. I'm a shortie.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

How much too wide is the HDR? Is the shape right, it's just too wide?

That's a perfect situation to use an extra pad - not MANY pads, but if a pad and/or a shim makes for a good, correct fit, then the pads are more forgiving on growing muscles than stuffed panels are.

Stubben just did a video on saddle fit for Thoroughbreds for the RRTP - he did a nice job explaining what to look for in a new saddle (whether you choose a Stubben or not). http://youtu.be/JvHUkp1Hu4g
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Big withers often need a deeper panel in front (like a K, trapezius or Skidrow), a full front or wither gusset, perhaps a deeper rear gusset to balance things, and sometimes a more curved tree. If you have a good fitter locally, work with them; if not, there are people who work long-distance with templates and photos, and do it quite successfully. Ann Forrest is one of the first to come to mind, and Brita Rizzi, Kate Wilson and Annette Gavin do it, as well.

2 members found this post helpful.

Courbette makes a nice cutback if your pockets are not that deep. RIdes nicely too. Some Kieffers, the old Munchen I think was made for high withers. Tony Slatter is a possibility as well. That is a more minimalist saddle though. The kieffer and COurbette have deeper seats. An old Tudor would also work. The one I have is a monoflap. If I think of any more I'll post them.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    How much too wide is the HDR? Is the shape right, it's just too wide?

That's a perfect situation to use an extra pad - not MANY pads, but if a pad and/or a shim makes for a good, correct fit, then the pads are more forgiving on growing muscles than stuffed panels are.
    I currently have him in a regular square pad, mattes pad, thinline inside that and a dish towell as more padding at the pommel. I am seriously thinking of going the Wintec Pro route until I can figure this out. I truly love my HDR, what a nice saddle for the price but I am also ready to upgrade to something else anyway. This horse has lots of movement and i am wanting a less flat saddle.
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Quote Originally Posted by good booie View Post
    I currently have him in a regular square pad, mattes pad, thinline inside that and a dish towell as more padding at the pommel. I am seriously thinking of going the Wintec Pro route until I can figure this out. I truly love my HDR, what a nice saddle for the price but I am also ready to upgrade to something else anyway. This horse has lots of movement and i am wanting a less flat saddle.
    Seriously nice horse to put up with that saddle

if you really like your hdr they now make a couple of dressage models that have adjustable gullets also. Lynnda at classic saddlery has them, I have one of them, the hdr austal and completely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Seriously nice horse to put up with that saddle
    lol! You have no idea. This horse is by far the sweetest boy ever. He pins his ears but goes about his work. My last horse would have handed my his bizness!!! I am putting the HDR up on ebay today and will put him in the wintec next week. Please note he is not be ridden to death in this saddle. Just in case anyone wants to go down that road.

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

I went with Stubben with my TB. Both his jump and dressage saddle (28 cm tree). But I am fortunate that he also fits a wintec, so hopefully that will work for you too in the meantime! Good luck!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Somewhat off-topic question: Once you have the saddle on Ebay, would you mind sharing the link?
    Good Luck in the Saddle Hunt for your TB !

I've found the 28cm Stubbens fit TBs quite well. Bonus that they pop up on eBay fairly regularly.

I have a Albion SLK Brentina that has bigger panels in the back, with a cut back pommel, it fits uphill, tall withered horses perfectly and THE best saddle I've ever owned, and I've had dozens. Unfortunately, I no longer own the horse that it fit, and none of my other horses are built that way...makes me so sad, I may have to give it up since it is gathering dust!

Second (third, fourth...) the suggestions of Albion SLK or a Kieffer (depending on your budget). A changeable gullet-plate saddle like a Wintec/Bates/K&M etc will probably NOT work for a huge-withered horse as the gullet plates have to be pretty "flat" with short-ish points in order to changeable. You might have more luck with adjustable saddles that use a different system? Or even the Thorogood "high-wither" style?

Good point baxtersmom regarding the short flat points on the wintecs. hmmm. I am in Atlanta so will get a saddle fitter out asap. I should be able to find one without too much of a problem. LOVE the look of the Albion.

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

I had very good luck w/ my county perfection, med/narrow tree and "skid row" panels for my upper level TB. He had the shark withers AND an obvious spine. If you are looking online, check out www.dressagestar.com. They have their saddles grouped by brand.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........