The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best place to shop for an AA horse??

We've been looking for 5 months and have a generous budget, and still can't find anything! Who are the barns known for having quality horses, honest representation, and reasonable pricing? It would be nice to see several in one location without paying the inflated prices of FL. We don't need the WEF winner, just fancy enough to win on our circuit of smaller As and kind enough to take care of my lady.

Anyone have sellers they can point me towards?
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

See you used generous budget and reasonable pricing in the same paragraph. I'm not sure what your "generous budget" is but sometimes looking for horse in a certain price ranges is tough. And when you want more bell and whistle the price goes up. So you will either have to spend at the top of you budget or perhaps find a different trainer thats wants to make a commision with the money you have to spend for this new horse. Hate to say it but florida at this time of year is going to yield you more horses to look at in one location.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

You may want to call David Wright of Hunters Court in Murfeesboro, TN. When I tried horses there they were very helpful and knowledgeable. I went without my trainer because he was busy and trusted me with the assistant pros there and I had a good time and got to try multiple nice horses that were all reasonably priced and I did end up getting one of them.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Well, of course it depends on what you mean by generous budget, of course - people define that a million ways! But my two go-to sources are Derek Petersen (Legacy Farms in FL) and Kobi Rhodes (also in FL, currently at WEF.) Derek always seems to have a couple of really nice, amateur friendly horses in the barn (my current superstar came from him, and has been successful in all three rings.) Kobi's horses tend to be able to win at WEF so may be a bit more than what you are looking for, but he is honest and presents his horses fairly, and they will all have the proper basics on them - there's not a gimmick in sight.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

My trainer just brought home a horse for me when she was in Canada. Im relatively new to horse prices (for show horses, I rode as a kid, but now am venturing into hunter world). The one she got has lots of experience in Canada in the 3'6 hunters on their A circuit. He also has shown at WEF when he was younger, but not recently (he is 12). She said the price was good compared to where we are. My other guy was a steal, and he was local. He is very experienced but he is older (18) so he needed to step down (which was a step UP for me!).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Well, of course it depends on what you mean by generous budget, of course - people define that a million ways! But my two go-to sources are Derek Petersen (Legacy Farms in FL) and Kobi Rhodes (also in FL, currently at WEF.) Derek always seems to have a couple of really nice, amateur friendly horses in the barn (my current superstar came from him, and has been successful in all three rings.) Kobi's horses tend to be able to win at WEF so may be a bit more than what you are looking for, but he is honest and presents his horses fairly, and they will all have the proper basics on them - there's not a gimmick in sight.
    I have no experience with Derek Peterson, but if Lucassb recommends him, I know he is just as she represents! I would absolutely concur with her assessment of Kobi Rhodes - has a fabulous eye for horseflesh. His horses have been started beautifully and can win anywhere. If I had the ching and was in the market, I would go to him in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    We've been looking for 5 months and have a generous budget, and still can't find anything! Who are the barns known for having quality horses, honest representation, and reasonable pricing? It would be nice to see several in one location without paying the inflated prices of FL. We don't need the WEF winner, just fancy enough to win on our circuit of smaller As and kind enough to take care of my lady.

Anyone have sellers they can point me towards?
    Since you appear to be in PA, have you looked at what Walk the Line LLC has? Alan Lohman in MD has several nice horses available as well.

Thanks all!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Sent you a PM with some phone numbers.

How broke does it have to be? If you want to put most of your money into the horse and less into the campaigning, go straight to breeders. Often they will have some 4 year olds who are broke and starting to jump. You will be a year away from baby greens, but if you are trying to maximize your budget and get the nicest horse you can for the $$, that is the way to go.

I can recommend Barbara at Silver Creek Farm (they stand Apiro who is to die for and a lot of their babies are by him). There are several other breeders who stand the horses who sire the WEF winners. If you buy right from the breeder and put a year into the horse, you will have a nice horse and a great investment.

I would also recommend you go to Warmbloods-for-sale.com.

Lots of nice horse there that are a good buy ($35k - $60k)

Dreamhorse and equineNow are also good places to search. Yes, there are a lot more unfancy than fancy horses, but there are real gems listed on all of them.

When looking for fancy hunters, also keep dressage horses and jumpers in your search. Often people will have their horses listed in one category, but it would also make a fantastic hunter. Frequently someone who breeds jumpers does not think that their good jumping, good moving young horse might sell just as well in another ring.

Right now I am looking for an upper level eventing prospect and I have done everything I am suggesting. I have found a number of great prospects without ever leaving my living room.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Watermark Farm in Oxford, PA has several very nice horses available

I have not personally dealt with her, but I know some people who have gotten very nice horses from Amanda Flint.