The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tekna saddles and tack. Anyone familiar?

Saw a Tekna saddle for sale on Cragislist and I have never heard of the company. Is their stuff any good? Not really interested in the saddle but I was eyeing the breakaway turnout halter that they had on their site.

Just curious for any feedback on their quality.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I've been using a Tekna bridle with flash and non-slip reins for the better part of a year and a half and it is virtually indestructible and hard to tell that it isn't leather.

And how's this for tack care: fill up 5 gal bucket with water and dish soap, dunk bridle, bit, and reins, run your hands over the straps, pull out and rinse with garden hose, hang to dry, done.

I just got a Tekna bridle this fall (after TDay sales!) as I wanted something easy care for riding in rain. It is pretty nice looking, seems very durable, and I LOVE the grippy reins. I plan to buy a couple more so everyone has a "bad weather" bridle. It did seem to run a bit small in sizing compared to my leather bridles, and I'm pretty sure it won't stretch like leather. I'm also tempted to get the halters...I use leather and when I boarded, the Tekna would have been great for leaving out in the rain (not on horse, but usually hung on turnout fence).

Ive heard good things about the girths as well. Might try them out too!

I have Tekna open front and hind boots and LOVE them. I'd definitely consider buying their other stuff!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I have a Tekna dressage saddle and stirrups. Appreciate the quality, cost and ease of care.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I have a pair of their non-slip reins I have been very happy with. But they are still a little slippery when wet.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

From what you are describing, it sounds like they are using Beta material for the halters and bridles? Anyone remember Tack-A-Tack? She was a COTH member who made bridles and halters from Beta. I have a bridle of hers and love it. If it is the same type of material that Tekna is using then I may just have to try out that breakaway halter they have!
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I love their horse boots! Look nice, but easy to hose off. I never wanted leather boots again, because the upkeep is a PIA, but I took a shot with the Tekna boots and I am pleased with them. Even when it is nasty and muddy I throw them on for show jumping. I was thinking of buying their reins.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I really love their leather looking boots. I usually show in them! However their bridles are VERY obvious it's not leather. They look like rubber. If it's just for home and you don't care about looks, and want something easy to clean, my boots have been holding up well so I think that the bridles would hold up well too.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    I really love their leather looking boots. I usually show in them! However their bridles are VERY obvious it's not leather. They look like rubber. If it's just for home and you don't care about looks, and want something easy to clean, my boots have been holding up well so I think that the bridles would hold up well too.
    If the material is similar to or is Beta, I have no problem with it not looking like leather. I would love a nice turnout halter that can be hosed down. Our horses are out in all weather almost 24/7 so regular halters get disgusting!!! I normally wouldn't get something like this for turnout but it looks like they have a nice breakaway halter which would be ideal.

So quality is good and everything appears to be well made?

this is the halter I am thinking of getting

http://www.teknasaddleryusa.com/en/t...?prd=328260956
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

My Tekna bridle is kind of rubbery/plastic, and I'd expect the halter to be the same stuff. I think from a distance it looks like leather (not shiny like the plastic coated stuff I have seen in the past, was it called biothane?), but up close is very obviously not. But it seems comfortable enough for the horse, is easy to work with (stays flexible), and can't beat the care or price. I'd be curious what the breakage is...how that compares to leather.

I picked up a halter last week for turnout (like horsepoor, not to leave on but it will be left outside on the fence in all weather conditions). I need to take it back to exchange for a full size. I have a TB who I've had both cob- and full-size halters on depending on the brand, and I couldn't even get the throat latch done up. It was a good 4-5 inches from being able to close! I would say then that they tend to run on the small side, so go up if you're unsure.

That being said, for less than $30 it will be perfect for what I need it for, I just need a bigger size.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I have Tekna open front and hind boots and LOVE them. I'd definitely consider buying their other stuff!
    Me too, they are my FAVORITE boots. Look brand new every time and hose off to clean.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I just got a tekna A8 dressage saddle on a partial trade. I'm pretty impressed with it for not liking dressage saddles generally. The seat is a little on the deep side but the balance is good. the knee blocks are a little too aggressive for my taste but they are repositionable and removable. My biggest complaint with it is that it gets squeaky while riding sometimes. aside from that, it's a nice saddle. My friend rode it and likes it too- it has a MUCH nicer balance to it than the wintecs which put both of us (built very differently) into a chair seat. Shoulder/hip/heel alignment comes easily in this one.

Thumbs up LOVE IT!!

LOVE the Tekna tack. I have 2 bridles, 3 reins, 2 breast plates & martingale attachments. Use for trailriding. I have a black set for a black horse and brown for my bay! The prices are right! The newer versions are that dull finish "beta" type synthetic. It's got a nylon center so it's tough! Easily washable, not slippery to me ever. Love the newer non-slip reins over the older smoother ones. Had a few problems with the alligator clips coming undone when my draft cross rubs her head on her leg and they come undone!!!
    Biothane was shiny plastic. Beta is a second generation version synthetic with a more leather like look.
    Love my synthetic tack!! Specially in summer w/sweating/flyspray etc. or during mud season. Wet sponge/towel wipe off!

Another happy user of Tekna open front boots! I got them because they were the only brand I could find with cob size. They're perfect!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH