The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeding Contracts & Mare Approvals?

Hi Folks!

I think I've found the perfect stud for my mare...the eventing TB, Salute the Truth. Question about the whole process...Breeding contracts are supposed to be filled out after confirming mare approval with the stallion owner, right? I'm not sure how this exactly works...how does a stallion owner go about approving a mare?

I contacted Mr. Pittman, Jr. expressing my interest a few days ago but haven't heard back yet. I guess I'm just a little anxious and excited to have finally found a stud that I think will most likely re-create all my mare's favorite qualities, and improve on her faults!

To answer your question.

Many stallion owners would like to have pedigree, photos and general information about the mare you wish to breed to their stallion. Sometimes a little research on the stallion owner's part is needed to make sure it's a good fit.

As a stallion owner I will tell you this....... There are folks out there who judge a stallion by what hits the ground, and put a lot of emphasis on him. What stallion owners worry about, is that if a foal hits the ground (or several) who are not good representatives of the stallion, that breeders will think he's no good. Breeding in this country is tough due to the average number of mares a stallion gets. So for many of us it's really important what falls on the ground. A couple of "sub par" foals could potentially ruin a stallion.

This is an unfortunate situation over here because when doing the math, the mare is absolutely the most important part of the equation. A sub par mare bred to the best stallion in the world, may not produce a good foal. My absolute feeling is, that when you breed a great mare to a great stallion, you will get a great foal.

More emphasis must be put into the quality of the mare when choosing a stallion. A stallion cannot usually fix all "her" lacking qualities, he can only improve on some.

If and when the stallion owner comes back to you, be open to the response. Just keep in mind they are trying to do the best for their stallion and his future for breeding and sport from the offspring. Also keep in mind, though not to confuse you, that there are stallion owners who don't care so much about the outcome. You may have to grin a bear and learn along the way.

Best advice when choosing a stallion for your mare. Start with getting to know her lineage. From there you will be better armed when picking out her mate.

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for answering my questions, Hyperion.

That clears it up--and makes me a little more nervous about not hearing back yet! I can't see any reason why she would be refused; her conformation is excellent and balanced and she is from elite-rated bloodlines, but her breeding might confuse the stallion owner a little; she has well-known TB lines on the dam side but her sire is all Russian.

Due to injury, she was unable to start her show career this year so she has no show record. The injury might prevent her from any future performance record too...won't know for another year. I hope the lack of a performance record doesn't jeopardize approval. Can't do anything about it, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Thank you for answering my questions, Hyperion.

That clears it up--and makes me a little more nervous about not hearing back yet! I can't see any reason why she would be refused; her conformation is excellent and balanced and she is from elite-rated bloodlines, but her breeding might confuse the stallion owner a little; she has well-known TB lines on the dam side but her sire is all Russian.

Due to injury, she was unable to start her show career this year so she has no show record. The injury might prevent her from any future performance record too...won't know for another year. I hope the lack of a performance record doesn't jeopardize approval. Can't do anything about it, I suppose.
    I hope you're the person I did respond to about breeding to Willy this year. Please let me know whether or not you have heard from either me (more likely) or Steuart, yet!

Erin
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.