The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me pick a saddle

I am looking for a used saddle. I would like to spend less than $500. I have been watching crosby, stubben's and pessoas. I will be riding several different horses with it. I will be jumping up to 3'9" in it, but mostly want it for hacking and fox hunting. I'm just not sure what model I need. What stubben would suite needs? Which crosby model ect? Thanks in advance

I love my Stubben Roxane. You won't find one under $500 though. It will be closer to $800. I foxhunt in mine and its the most comfortable, secure saddle. I love it.

Siegfrieds are good too, but I can take or leave them. The Roxane? You will have to pry out of my cold, dead hands. Foxhunting is what the Roxane was designed for.

Thank you!! I love the Roxanne's. I have been watching fr a well used one deal. Do you know anything about eldeweiss or parzival?

Quote Originally Posted by Horseshoundskids View Post
    Thank you!! I love the Roxanne's. I have been watching fr a well used one deal. Do you know anything about eldeweiss or parzival?
    Love love love Parzival's. Comfortable, knee rolls and seat depth just right. I've been searching in vain for a used 17.5", 32 for a year. If anyone comes across one let me know.
    They are great for learning to jump.

The Edelweiss is a close-contact saddle. It would probably be fine for what you want, but personally I like a deep seat and more support for jumping than it offers.

An old Siegfried VSS would be perfect for your purposes; they are readily available used for what you can afford to pay. I love mine for jumping; I used to ride cross-country courses in it. Even more ideal would be an Imperator; it's similar to the Siegfried but has a padded seat, which is great for those long days in the hunting field. (They do tend to be harder to find than the Siegfried and more expensive.)

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=710
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by SunNSand View Post
    Love love love Parzival's. Comfortable, knee rolls and seat depth just right. I've been searching in vain for a used 17.5", 32 for a year. If anyone comes across one let me know.
    They are great for learning to jump.

That is the size I am looking for so I will let you know if I find one I dont buy

I want a little deeper seat. I have a collegiate Diplomate. I bought new that I hate! I feel like I am sitting up on top of my horse. If I sold it for descent money I would have a larger budget.

I think you won't like the Edelweiss for hunting. I'm a shallow, flat seat girl, but hunting? Definitely not as fun.

SOME of the old Siegfrieds like the VSS may work, but there are a bajillion Siegfried models, most of which are old enough to have lost their labels, so you'll have to sift through the pictures.

The Parzivals are good too. Again though, they have several variations, some of which are quite similar to the Roxane's (which are a newer model).

Oh and check eBay frequently. Stubbens are listed constantly.

I have been stalking eBay like crazy. I almost bought a Roxanne last night but it went to high. The siegfield different models are driving me crazy!!

LOVE my Custom Saddery saddle

You might look for ainsley cross country saddles. They are super forward, so a bit difficult to use for good flatwork, but they come cheap and are nice.

This page may help you figure out the Siegfrieds:

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...typessizes.php

The classic older model Siegfried is the VSS, an all-purpose geared toward jumping. Most of the old ones on Ebay fall into this category.

The Siegfried Extra is a VSS with a longer, more forward flap.

The Siegfried VSD is an all-purpose which is more geared toward flatwork.

The Siegfried CS and the Siegfried II are close-contact saddles, probably not what you want for your stated purposes.

Hope this helps.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Roxane is great, or a Stubben Siegfried vss would work. Lots of the Crosbys will have flatter seats, but you could look at an Equilibrium, Centennial or Softride. You might also consider a Courbette Pandur or Aristokrat. There's a new Pandur on eBay now for $575.
    Don't forget about Smith Worthington, too. They make lovely nice quality saddles. They have some saddles on sale on their web site, but they're still over your budget. However, with patience, you can often find a good price on a used one.

Have you thought about a Vega? It's another that would suit your needs. I will never give mine up (barring an extreme need, of course)

Though I haven't looked at prices on used ones recently...they may be twice what you want to spend still.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I agree that the Crosby Sofride is a lovely saddle. A woman at our barn has one. There's one on ebay right in the OP's price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSBY-Engli...item417025da05

Thanks everyone!! I am going to look up all of the saddles you mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Have you thought about a Vega? It's another that would suit your needs. I will never give mine up (barring an extreme need, of course)

Though I haven't looked at prices on used ones recently...they may be twice what you want to spend still.

I love a vega! Wish I could find one in my price range! I need a 17- 17.5 medium tree I you see one!!

Smith Worthington. Lovely saddles, well made.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Thanks everyone! I am still searching if you happen to see something I might like please let me know.