The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charge per show day for grooming?

Tasks: meeting trainer at show grounds to unload horse, groom/tack horse for schooling and for classes, 15 minute lunge each day if needed, cleaning stall, after ride care for horse, feeding morning and evening.

Show grounds are local to groomer so no hotel needed. Owner would meet horse at the home barn to unload/unpack.

Would $50/day be reasonable? It's for one horse.
    Last edited by reefy!; Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

reefy! is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Any one??

$50/day I believe is pretty much the going rate here for full grooming/care at shows.

1 members found this post helpful.

Is unbraiding involved? My friend gets $75 (in Zone 2)and she does all of the above but unbraids. Hope that helps. I don't think $50 is unreasonable but I don't do it for a living or pay people to do it.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by reefy! View Post
    Tasks: meeting trainer at show grounds to unload horse, groom/tack horse for schooling and for classes, 15 minute lunge each day if needed, cleaning stall, after ride care for horse, feeding morning and evening.

Show grounds are local to groomer so no hotel needed. Owner would meet horse at the home barn to unload/unpack.

Would $50/day be reasonable? It's for one horse.
    I think it is reasonable for one horse on an average show day where the owner/trainer did much of the prep work. If you were looking at loading/unloading/involved set up, bathing, a very long day, a very demanding trainer/owner, you could probably charge more like $75. I wouldn't think unbraiding would add anything to the cost.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I think it probably depends on the area, and possibly how many other horses that person might be able to groom for. (ie, if you want someone to be at the showgrounds at oh dark thirty to unload, and hang around all day, and do evening feed, you may find it's more attractive if they can do 3 or 4 horses and earn $150+)

Most shows I've been to, that would require a 10-12 hour day, so as an hourly rate, $50 doesn't get you too far.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I agree with Lucabs, depending on the area, I think for all that work and being at the hs for almost seven hours the least that I would pay is $100 per horse.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Since it's a Day rate only I would think $10.00 per hour that you are on the show grounds woudl be reasonable .. It would not be unusal to have to be there at 5:30 6:00 AM and not leave til 6:00PM that ads up to about $4.00 per hour at $50.00 per Day so no I would think more like $100.00 per day. for full grooming .

Original Poster

Thank you for the opinions.

It's for half a day on Friday, 8 - 5 on Saturday, 8 - 4 on Sunday.
    2 classes per day, if that changes anything. Oh and a rated show (albeit dressage but the H/J crowd tends to use grooms more, which is why I posted here).

I originally planned on $100 per day (I am the owner, not the groom) but the person said $40/day, which is too low I think. So I'm trying to find a happy medium, without over paying.

It's been so long since I needed a groom (former H/J rider) that I can't really remember what I used to pay!

Thank you for the opinions.

It's for half a day on Friday, 8 - 5 on Saturday, 8 - 4 on Sunday.
    2 classes per day, if that changes anything. Oh and a rated show (albeit dressage but the H/J crowd tends to use grooms more, which is why I posted here).

I originally planned on $100 per day (I am the owner, not the groom) but the person said $40/day, which is too low I think. So I'm trying to find a happy medium, without over paying.

It's been so long since I needed a groom (former H/J rider) that I can't really remember what I used to pay!
    As a H/J rider who now does dressage... I will tell you that I have noticed a lot of the show related costs (including grooming) are WAY less for dressage, even at rated shows. In your situation, I'd pay $75 a day and buy them lunch
    -PaulaEdwina

2 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Lucassb - I know! I love how 'cheap' these shows are by comparison. The ones who have only ever done dressage all complain about the cost and I'm skipping down the aisles rejoicing at how much less they cost me

The other great thing is if you go off course in a dressage test, you get a chance to fix it and sometimes the judge even yells out what your next movement is - awesome!

Lucassb - I know! I love how 'cheap' these shows are by comparison. The ones who have only ever done dressage all complain about the cost and I'm skipping down the aisles rejoicing at how much less they cost me

The other great thing is if you go off course in a dressage test, you get a chance to fix it and sometimes the judge even yells out what your next movement is - awesome!
    I know! I am loving it too!!
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    As a H/J rider who now does dressage... I will tell you that I have noticed a lot of the show related costs (including grooming) are WAY less for dressage, even at rated shows. In your situation, I'd pay $75 a day and buy them lunch
    Especially amusing given the number of h/j trainers who yammer endlessly about how they couldn't POSSIBLY make a living without charging $75 day care (which maybe the groom sees 1/3 of), plus board at home, plus the set up fee and the "show flyspray vs. home flyspray" fee, plus coaching, longing not included. Omg this is overtime and they treat their business like a business.

My horse does both sports so it is interesting that apparently two entirely different mathematical systems apply to the same horse for his same needs. I wonder why the math is so oppressive for h/j trainers as they explain to their customers their rock and hardplace, but dressage trainers somehow manage?

It is the customers who bend over for it that allow it to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Especially amusing given the number of h/j trainers who yammer endlessly about how they couldn't POSSIBLY make a living without charging $75 day care (which maybe the groom sees 1/3 of), plus board at home, plus the set up fee and the "show flyspray vs. home flyspray" fee, plus coaching, longing not included. Omg this is overtime and they treat their business like a business.

My horse does both sports so it is interesting that apparently two entirely different mathematical systems apply to the same horse for his same needs. I wonder why the math is so oppressive for h/j trainers as they explain to their customers their rock and hardplace, but dressage trainers somehow manage?

It is the customers who bend over for it that allow it to continue.
    I can't say I entirely agree with that assessment.

I find dressage shows a LOT easier to manage, compared to H/J shows. For one thing, you have ride times well in advance, which eliminates a lot of the juggling that we did at H/J shows, where the trainer would be running (literally) between three or four different rings trying to support all the different customers all day. (Not looking to start a debate about whether it is reasonable for a client to have their trainer at the ring when they show; there've been plenty of threads on that topic already.)

I can also easily warm myself up for a dressage test compared to needing someone to set fences for me to warm up for a hunter or eq class. There is no need for someone to hold/walk my horse while I go walk a course or three (and let me just say how much I LOVE having to memorize just a handful of tests for the year, compared to 3 or 4 equitation tracks per show, LOL.)

And while I enjoy paying less at the dressage shows, I'll admit I miss the fancy show set ups we had at the big H/J shows. I *never* minded paying for those.

I think the "show flyspray" v. "home flyspray" type stuff is related more to the trainer that is chosen rather than the discipline, personally. I've never been overcharged by a H/J pro for stuff like that.
    -PaulaEdwina

When I used to groom locally for our barn, I got $75.00 a day (plus a tip). All the kid had to do was show up and ride. This is in NJ...

Well dang. I get $75/day for ~6 horses on day care and 2-3 of those horses on full care.

Day care= mucking, feeding, water, meds
    Full care= Day care + grooming, wrapping, bathing, ringside prep, lunging, etc.

Granted I also braid all these horses so get that extra money on the side. Only a few of the clients would tip me (usually the ones on full care).
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill