The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It's sort of like the fact that when atop a horse who pees, I still stand up in the stirrups. Research has shown that this makes no difference whatsoever. But what if?
    What if WHAT? It's a silly habit based on nothing more than a terrible misunderstanding of basic physiology. Like SO many horse care dogmas, it belongs on the scrap heap, but people still do it so they look like they know something. Phooey.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Do we really need to parse the significance of "Coach" and if it was a requested moniker?

In any regard I quite like it. It denotes a team approach.

I, too, wish the reports had more substance on the sessions. Perhaps we'll get that on the Ocala round.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote JER-2. On a more serious note, what does this signify to the listees? The former coach was imperious and (sort of) titled, although he didn't ask that his athletes call him 'Captain' or 'Coach'. Now DOC is giving himself a title.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since I wouldn't expect the listens to call him David, and Mr. O'Connor is a mouthful, doesn't "Coach" sound like a sensible derangement? Since he is indeed a coach. Personally I like the word teacher, but that becomes even more awkward.

Let's not nitpik.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Do we really need to parse the significance of "Coach" and if it was a requested moniker?
    No one 'needs' to do anything. I thought 'Coach' was an interesting choice and asked if anyone else had an opinion. You clearly do, despite wanting to also put down my desire to discuss it.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Since I wouldn't expect the listens to call him David, and Mr. O'Connor is a mouthful, doesn't "Coach" sound like a sensible derangement?
    I'm going to assume you are using the mathematical definition -- as opposed to the medical definition -- of 'derangement' here. Or do you really mean that calling DOC 'Coach' is a form of psychosis?

( This made me laugh.)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    Wrap tendons to the inside, was the way I was taught...but that was back when we weren't allowed to have velcro on our standing wraps... From a broader point of view, some pony club stuff is awesome. Some is not so realistic in the real world. And some I just plain never ever have used again (homemade spider bandage anyone?).

That being said, from experience having a horse at OCET for awhile, I recall that they were fanatical about good wrapping, so not surprised that David said something about it.
    Pretty sure I still have a homemade spider bandage somewhere in a box in my parents' basement! And it got used for my rating ... And hasn't seen the light of day since.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Quote JER-2. On a more serious note, what does this signify to the listees? The former coach was imperious and (sort of) titled, although he didn't ask that his athletes call him 'Captain' or 'Coach'. Now DOC is giving himself a title.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since I wouldn't expect the listens to call him David, and Mr. O'Connor is a mouthful, doesn't "Coach" sound like a sensible derangement? Since he is indeed a coach. Personally I like the word teacher, but that becomes even more awkward.

Let's not nitpik.
    Did I miss where did DC, himself, even ask to be called "Coach"? I thought that's just what SL chose to call him in her articles. Though I do think "Coach" is a logical choice.
    Last edited by PonyGal08; Jan. 26, 2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Ahh, it's nothing personal. Dogmatic convictions make me nuts, and the horse world has WAY more than its share.
    Click here before you buy.

DOC being called "coach" must signify that he is the coach...

4 members found this post helpful.

I quite enjoyed the articles, and I think the attention to detail David demanded is very promising. Maybe all the attendees could wrap well and I would hope it was so. It seems to me that it's smarter, and easier, and less heartbreaking to have this lesson for everyone at the first session than to discover the deficiency when a pair is short-listed for the team and there's a problem.

I appreciate that he was looking for people who would pay attention to the whole event and who had the focus to get everything from it.

In this sport, it's not enough to have a great horse. It's a demanding road physically, mentally, financially, and spiritually.

I enjoyed the report. Reading it made me miss the days when I could give that kind of focus to my riding, and made me go out and ride.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    It doesn't matter which DIRECTION you wrap, as long as you apply the tension consistntly, and only "pull" against the bone, not the tendon.

Thank You!! I have never understood why people keep saying that you can only wrap in one direction! That's just an old wives tale. The tendons and ligaments are in the MIDDLE of the leg. Therefore it makes no difference which direction you wrap. As Janet says, only pull tight against the bone. And make pressure of the wrap even throughout.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
    Facebook page

Default From someone who was there....

I was a participant in the California Training Session....there are many topics in this thread which I could respond to/clarify, but I have found in the past that this just gets people riled up for no reason. If you have any specific questions that you would like answered, feel free to ask and I will gladly answer with facts/opinions drawn from my personal experience of the session.

BUT, in the meantime, I wanted to clarify that we did not call DOC "Coach" - at least not that I am aware. I addressed him as David, as did others. I don't think anyone called him Mr. O'Connor. He certainly did not ask us to call him Coach, though I don't think he would mind it, either. Although intimidating at first, he really is a very approachable man, human even! Who would have thought. By the end of the session I think we all felt very at ease around him and even ventured to tease him on his Diet Coke habits.

4 members found this post helpful.

Do you think that calling him Coach in writing is derogatory? I thought it was an honor, and am doing so out of respect. In other sports, "Coach" is a highly respected position. If you think he is OK with that I will continue. I also know him as David, but thought in print it was more respectful to refer to him as Coach, now.

Number two: what specifically do you think you got out of the jumping portion -- I missed getting info about the jumping stuff, and would be very interested to hear what things you heard that are going to help you going forward with the jumping portion specifically -- please outline as best you can remember, thanks!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Lightbulb Not derogatory at all

Sorry, I did make myself unclear. I was not saying it was derogatory to call him coach but I have fielded many questions over the last couple days on the topic. Some thought he required it of us, thought that was arrogant. I was more addressing that end of the speculation. Trying to say that was not his own request.

As for jumping position, I took away a great deal about being aware of my lower leg and also I loved thinking about pushing off the stirrup pads as a way to coordinate your seat in the half halt when you are riding in your jump seat. But I think the really lasting lesson I took away was about the difference between showjump riding and xc riding; you may have been there for this but he was explaining to us that on xc we practice putting our hands down and galloping, but in showjumping we actually need to land and be immediately prepared for the next jump, ie moving our seat, lifting our hands off the next, returning to a preparation position quickly.

I am also going to practice looking for "next!"

Quote Originally Posted by EventKid View Post
    But I think the really lasting lesson I took away was about the difference between showjump riding and xc riding; you may have been there for this but he was explaining to us that on xc we practice putting our hands down and galloping, but in showjumping we actually need to land and be immediately prepared for the next jump, ie moving our seat, lifting our hands off the next, returning to a preparation position quickly.

Neck*
    Typing from a phone is always a risky business

Quote Originally Posted by EventKid View Post
    Sorry, I did make myself unclear. I was not saying it was derogatory to call him coach but I have fielded many questions over the last couple days on the topic. Some thought he required it of us, thought that was arrogant. I was more addressing that end of the speculation. Trying to say that was not his own request.
    Thank you for clarifying. I really thought -- as did the OP -- from the write-up that DOC asked to be addressed as 'Coach'.

But damn, I liked it. I thought it was a bold leadership stance.

I also enjoyed from the writeup the discussion of riding in the quadrille pattern and the need to be able to produce anything from the horse from any seat. The quadrille is a really impressive discipline that most of us don't have a chance to practice once we're important enough to be doing private lessons on the flat.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket