The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In which we discuss linebackers and show coats

Hello everyone
    So here's the dilemma: I have shoulders like a linebacker, I'm sorry my father's corrected me, I have shoulders like a strong safety. Anyone know of brands of show coats that fit Hulk shoulders with a smaller waist? I really don't want to go custom route, been there done that, don't have the patience.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

You too?! It sucks, doesn't it? I'm "thick thru the chest" but not big boobed, and I have wide shoulders, but not long arms. Sigh.

I'm anxiously awaiting the replies here. I have a Elite (Grand Prix) that fits very well. It is a 16R according to the label...but I've tried on several in the same size/brand recently and they don't fit! What is up with that? I hate that every brand seems to be sized differently--I have no idea what size I need...and the measurement charts drive me crazy! I really do NOT match any of those. I feel like Quasimodo.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

i have pretty wide shoulders (it's a cool look...), and the grand prix show coats i have fit me really well. have you checked them out?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Ariat worked for me- they also have a stretch panel in the shoulder that also helps. Depending on the rest of your build you may need a tailor to nip it in at the waist.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Ahhh! I am president of the linebacker shoulders club

Size 10 waist, and often (with my large-ish tatas) a 14 on top. I haaaaaaaaaaaate trying to find structured tops that fit my shoulders without looking like a mu-mu.

I feel your pain. Usually the ones that fit are the ones that cost the most! Or require tailoring. Sigh.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

I go Grand Prix (tall for my monkey arms). The RJs don't fit me nearly as well. I definitely have to size up (started last show season literally bruising my upper arms from a coat that fit until I released...) but they are tailored enough that I am not swimming in the coat. I have not tried one on as they are not easy to find in a tall, but maybe try a GP slim? If the 16 is too tight in the shoulder, go for an 18 slim.

On a different note, I hate the size numbers! I am 5'9 or so and a size 6 in street blazers, maybe 8 on a brand that runs narrow in the shoulders. I am a 14/16 in Grand Prix coats. Blech.

Good luck! The one that fits me the best (not perfect by any means) was my Grand Prix. I have no idea what the size was, but I could almost move my arms enough to reach the saddle when getting a leg up, lol.

I like to say I'm shaped like an upside down triangle, with long arms...broad shoulders (broad enough random people have asked if I'm a swimmer...) a medium chest, shorter torso, and a tiiiiny waist...

You know how your arms from end to end are supposed to be as long as you are tall? Mine are quite a few inches longer than I am tall, haha.

Good luck!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by BostonHJ View Post
    On a different note, I hate the size numbers! I am 5'9 or so and a size 6 in street blazers, maybe 8 on a brand that runs narrow in the shoulders. I am a 14/16 in Grand Prix coats. Blech.
    I'm 5'7" but exactly the same, size-wise. I like the 16R Grand Prixes, but I actually fit a 10 in the Tailored Sportsman coats really well—I'd say that's my new favorite coat, fit-wise. My 10R RJ Classics is OK too, but not as well-fitting as the others.

I was going to say Tailored sportsman coats but I don't think they make them anymore!

Back when I was showing, I really liked the fit of my Grand Prix coat. At that time, I was quite a bit slimmer than I am now, but I have aways had a large bust and wide shoulders and felt that the GP was really flattering.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Another vote for the Grand Prix coats. I always got the 16R and then had a tailor nip in the waist.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    I was going to say Tailored sportsman coats but I don't think they make them anymore!
    Do they not? I found mine on eBay.

Totally feeling all your pain!!!! Show coat designers - please hear our pleas!!!I have found the TS coats work best for us broad gals. But I too don't think they make them any more. Please come back!

There are still some gorgeous ones on eBay, fortunately: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Ta...f17dfdc&_uhb=1

Marigold! I kept ending up with coats that fit me terribly because my shoulders are (apparently) disproportionately wide for my body. I tried a Marigold and it fits me beautifully. It's in my top 3 all time favorite articles of clothing. The other two are my wedding dress and my "sleeping bag" coat (Chicago winters) - soooo yeah safe to say I'm pretty much obsessed with it!

Definitely the TS coats and the Marigold. I'm in this club too, broad shoulders, long arms, small waist, short-waisted and plenty of boobage. Have you just tried going with a soft shell? That's all I wear now the fit is so good!

I've also had success with buying an off-the-rack coat and having it tailored...

Definitely the TS coats and the Marigold. I'm in this club too, broad shoulders, long arms, small waist, short-waisted and plenty of boobage. Have you just tried going with a soft shell? That's all I wear now the fit is so good!

I've also had success with buying an off-the-rack coat and having it tailored...

Quote Originally Posted by starlight View Post

What's your favorite soft shell? I've tried a few, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Another TS fan, but in the tall. I'm 5'8". long torso and arms, narrow waist and decent shoulders.
    For the soft shell-I liked the RJ. Haven't bought one yet but liked the looks over the Grand Prix

I like Grand Prix. They seem to be wider through the shoulder than a lot of other brands.