The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default children's hunter pony cross entry question...

Hi, we are attending a rated show this weekend and our pony is entered in pony hunter and all the associated medal classes, USEF, WIHS and MHSA medals. 2 of the three of those eq classes are filled and will run. There are only 2 entered in the pony hunter division, no greens. I am assuming that at least one more pony will show up, but in case they don't, we are driving two hours to get to the show and don't want to end up showing in only 2 classes. Children's ponies will run.

So my question is this... if the pony hunters do not fill, can my dd show in the children's and then do the bigger medals (usef, wihs and msha) or is she restricted from doing those medals because she is in children's?

I know she can't show pony hunter and children's pony at the same show, but don't see anything about the equitation classes.

If the regular ponies don't fill, I doubt those equitation will either. WIHS needs 3, USEF needs 6 and I think the MHSA is either 4 or 6, but for sure at least 3. If those are already filled, than you might be fine with the ponies too. The cross entry really depends on how the zone specs for the shows location are written for the children's pony. Some zones will set a height restriction and others do not.

there are currently 3 in the WIHS and 4 in the MHSA... two of those ponies are not in the regular hunter divisions, I think because they are showing at another show the day before and this is at their barn, so I assume they are just going for medal points. I'm hoping there will be another one able to fill, but looking at worst case scenario.

Have to check your zone specs, some will not let the same one do Childrens Pony and the National USEF/WIHS Medals at 3'6". No idea what MSHA is but some of the state and Regional Medals have the kids show at whatever their usual height is and judge them all together so it wouldn't effect her.

Unfortunately, the zone specs are a little hard to dig thru sometimes so I'd just call and ask. Might be on the prize list too.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Have to check your zone specs, some will not let the same one do Childrens Pony and the National USEF/WIHS Medals at 3'6". No idea what MSHA is but some of the state and Regional Medals have the kids show at whatever their usual height is and judge them all together so it wouldn't effect her.

Unfortunately, the zone specs are a little hard to dig thru sometimes so I'd just call and ask. Might be on the prize list too.
    I believe she is talking about the USEF, WIHS, MHSA pony medals which would be set for the height of the pony, not the 3'6" medal classes.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

In our zone the Children's Pony Hunters cannot cross-enter into a rated division and their riders can't jump over 3' at the same show. It's not clear whether your daughter would be in the MHSA Hunt Seat On Ponies or the MHSA Children's Pony Medal, but I don't believe the Children's has a cross-entry restriction.

It sounds like you're talking about showing at McDonogh. I'll be the starter for that show. If I'm remembering right, the last few shows I've worked, the Regulars have been questionable, but they have ended up running. If you're concerned about classes filling, you can always call Bev in the office and she'll give you a status update. She'd also be able to definitively answer your rules question- which will be relevant if you end up showing in the Children's and someone else shows up for the Regulars, since your daughter wouldn't be able to ride in both and that would bring us back to two.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

[QUOTE=Renn/aissance;6799859]In our zone the Children's Pony Hunters cannot cross-enter into a rated division and their riders can't jump over 3' at the same show. It's not clear whether your daughter would be in the MHSA Hunt Seat On Ponies or the MHSA Children's Pony Medal, but I don't believe the Children's has a cross-entry restriction.

It sounds like you're talking about showing at McDonogh. I'll be the starter for that show. If I'm remembering right, the last few shows I've worked, the Regulars have been questionable, but they have ended up running. If you're concerned about classes filling, you can always call Bev in the office and she'll give you a status update. She'd also be able to definitively answer your rules question- which will be relevant if you end up showing in the Children's and someone else shows up for the Regulars, since your daughter wouldn't be able to ride in both and that would bring us back to two.[/QUOTE
    Yes that's the show. I will call, I'd assume they will fill but wanted to know my options! Thanks, we are really going to do the eq so that is our priority but not happy with two classes for a two hour one way trip!

Oh and yes its the mhsa pony medal, though ideally the usef pony medal would fill :S