The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Black coats in the adult eq?

Since my lease horse's jump is relatively flat, we are doing the eq this year instead of hunters. My navy hunt coat is a bit snug in the shoulders and it looks like no one has navy coats in longs on sale. Would it be ok to do a black coat with a navy plaid on it? I know black is back to an extent, but I don't want to look out of place.

Thanks in advance! I know it is a superficial question but this arctic weather has me dreaming of show season/shopping instead of riding.

1 members found this post helpful.

I compete in the junior big eq, and I wear a black coat from RJ classics, as one of my coats. It's a black windowpain, which Is like a plaid. Their should be anything wrong with it! If you don't feel sure about it, buy a cheap devon aire coat - their 80 - they have navy, just until you know what you can wear. Double check with your trainer and judges. Their should be anything wrong with black though!

Long arms = most brands don't fit . I have a great collection of Grand Prixs from eBay, as well as an amazing shad from the Farm House clearance room. There is a coat I know will fit in the black color I described above on sale, but since I already have a navy coat that does the job, I don't want to get another one 'just because' and never wear it.

I think you'll be completely fine, tons of juniors (including myself) wear black for the eq, and some even wear green or dark gray. The judge will hopefully be watching your rounds, not trying to figure out if your jacket is navy or black. And I feel your pain with the long arms... nothing fits!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Absolutely, black is correct. Sounds like a good looking coat.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Thanks for chiming in! I have a brand new Grand Prix headed my way for $119, courtesy of the Farm House Tack. They would have had less expensive sale options if I didn't need a tall.

Sounds like you made your decision, but I can assure you I have seen plenty of black in the adult eq in the Massachusetts/ New England area, especially on the younger adults. I think since black has been such a trend the past few years for the juniors as they age out and enter the younger adult ranks they just keep their black coats. Being a middle aged type myself from the day when black was anathema to rated showing, I have chosen to stick with navy, but I do think the black is flattering and looks sharp.

M. Owen, I'm in the same boat - I'm 32 and when I was a junior, you wouldn't be caught dead at a rated show in a black coat. That is where my hesitation was coming from. Now I just need it to thaw out a bit so I can actually get some work done when I ride and be ready to show!!

I am older too and not used to black coats but I think they are very acceptable now and can look quite nice.

I see a lot of black all of a sudden. All white shirts, all black or very dark navy jackets. Life's gotten very bland I think you'll fit in fine in black. I prefer navy myself, slightly less severe, but black is absolutely "in."
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have a black windowpane plaid RJ that is to die for. I also grew up in the era when black was a major faux pas, and don't think I could ever go just plain black, but I love the plaids.

I do hate the plain white shirts and the wrap collars... love a pretty light pastel or plaid shirt and monogrammed choker.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I see a lot of black all of a sudden. All white shirts, all black or very dark navy jackets. Life's gotten very bland I think you'll fit in fine in black. I prefer navy myself, slightly less severe, but black is absolutely "in."
    It is a much more stark look. I guess crisp is another word for it. I am stuck in more colorful days when it comes to riding clothes

Quote Originally Posted by tricolor View Post
    It is a much more stark look. I guess crisp is another word for it. I am stuck in more colorful days when it comes to riding clothes
    I was at a trade show today and I thought I saw a hint of some color. Essex classics was still showing it. So... maybe there's hope!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/