The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieF View Post
    I am always surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that there always has to be someone who just wants to be negative. We are very happy with Balt'Amour's performance at his very first show, in a Hunter division where all the top professionals school their horses before their clients ride them. .
    Very first show???

According to USEF he showed at WEF 3/2011 in a PreGreen Hunter Division with 10 entries. 5 classes , 3 DNP's. 2 8ths.

It's all public information...

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm a little confused about your statement. Bliss MF was not out showing this week. You are in Canada correct? Perhaps you are confusing him with Bon Balou?

Or were you refering to Balt'Amour? Are you here at WEF? Sorry I'm really confused! LOL!
    Yes Balt'Amour at WEF!
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.

I am always surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that there always has to be someone who just wants to be negative.
    No one's being negative - just stating opinion on a public board of a publicly advertised standing stallion. (I though that was what it is for!)
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlotych View Post
    You folks can circle the wagons all you like, but my post was a truthful correction to the OP, citing the official show results.

The owner is selling breedings to this horse, and an embellished show performance/record from her OR anyone else promoting him is dishonest and misleading to potential customers.

Oh and if by a class act, setting the example by throwing someone else's stallion out there in an attempt to deflect the thread, I guess I have a different opinion on that too.

Its sad that the breeding industry is becoming more buyer beware than it needs to be.
    I posted this thread because I had just had the opportunity to meet Balt'Amour in person a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed with how quickly he was able to go right back into work. When I saw the update on FB, I was excited to see he had already made it back into the ring(at WEF) no less. Nothing more, nothing less.
    This was his first show back after a period of time of not only not showing but riding in general. I am sure they have kinks to work out, as most do during the first weeks back in the show ring. I like the fact that he was able to go there with no prep. I look forward to watching him develop with his new rider this year and wish the only best for them.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

4 members found this post helpful.

First of all, we sincerely wish all the stallion owners best wishes with their stallions in competition. It is our number one goal here at the NA Stallion Testing that all the stallions that go through the test are able to go on to successful competition after the test, and any stallion owner who has sent a stallion through the testing knows the great lengths we go to with the goal in mind.

However, since it has been brought up on a couple different occasions now, and publicly published on the stallion's webpage, I feel that it is my responsibility for the integrity of the testing to set the record straight regarding the 2009 Stallion Test and Balt'Amour MF. The 2009 Stallion Test was one of the tests that was broadcast live online. So everyone is aware of the fact that this stallion had stood up and flipped over on one of his passes through the chute. It was claimed that his fractured shoulder that he sustained, and was found on x-ray when he returned home, was due to this fall. I am not disputing that there was a fracture found on x-ray after his return to Marabet Farm. However, after his judging in the free-jumping chute, he participated in the cross country portion of the judging day. In order to participate and be scored in this portion, the stallions are thoroughly examined BEFORE and AFTER they go out on the cross country course. The stallions heart rate, breathing, soundness, tendons, etc. are thoroughly examined and noted on our veterinary exam forms. At NO time did Balt'Amour show any signs of lameness or injury BEFORE or AFTER the cross country portion, which made him eligible to receive his scores for cross country. In addition, on the final day of testing, we always have a test veterinarian present in case of emergency, and Balt'Amour was looked at immediately after his free jumping judging, and nothing was found that would cause concern. It goes to reason that if he sustained a fracture in this incident that the rigors of the cross country gallop and obstacles would have exacerbated it to the point where it would have been found by our thorough veterinarians and test staff. Of course, horses will be horses, and there will not always be a high success rate of stallions that finish the testing (as is the case with horses in any kind of training) and unfortunately there can be injuries and illness. But, to maintain the integrity of the testing, when statements are made that need to be clarified, I feel the responsibility to present the facts. Once the stallions have completed the judging phases of the test and results are announced, the stallions are released to the stallion owner's care and responsibility. (It might be good to note that he was presented in hand for additional approval on the licensing day following the conclusion of the stallion test.)

It is crucial for us to constantly critique the testing format and training in order to provide the best quality and safest experience for every stallion. That is why we always take extremely detailed thorough records and review them every year to constantly monitor and improve the testing experience.

We are very happy to see Balt'Amour in the show ring, as we are of all the stallion test graduates that go on to compete and wish him success in the future!

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Very first show???

According to USEF he showed at WEF 3/2011 in a PreGreen Hunter Division with 10 entries. 5 classes , 3 DNP's. 2 8ths.

It's all public information...
    At no time did anyone say this was his first show in his entire life. It was actually his second. The first time he went to a show it was with one of the test riders from the 70 Day stallion test, one year after the test, whom I had asked to ride him for those two months that I already mentioned. We took him to the show once but Wanja is a Dressage/ Jumper rider from Germany and didn't know how to do the Hunters, couldn't find a Hunter distance, and frankly it was a waste of money. So when I said it was his first show I think it was pretty clear we were talking about this season, after two years of not being ridden at all and with his new rider. No big cover up here. The facts are very clear.
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

Actually Summer it was not the hairline fracture in his shoulder that caused him to need a year off as that healed quite nicely fairly quickly. It was the bruised suspensory he sustained on the third day of the test that you diligently polticed and wrapped every night so he could get through the test. As the final testing days were 9 degrees and the ground was extremely hard it did not help the condition of his leg. When he walked out of the stall the day after the testing to load up and ship home he was quite sore. It was my choice to let him continue the test after he was slightly hurt, and it was my choice to let him have a year off. At no time did I blame the test, which I think was run as well as a first year test could have been run. Obviously I believe in the test as I sent my stallion Bliss MF to the test this year. Sometimes stallions get hurt at the testings both here and in Germany. Many horses get hurt showing, trail riding or getting cast in their stalls. Horses get hurt. I really think you are over-reacting to a simple statement. I also think that you just violated your own rule of privacy regarding the individual stallions. I did not give out any of the details you just divulged, nor did I give you permission to do so.
    Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zlotych View Post
    You folks can circle the wagons all you like, but my post was a truthful correction to the OP, citing the official show results.

The owner is selling breedings to this horse, and an embellished show performance/record from her OR anyone else promoting him is dishonest and misleading to potential customers.

Oh and if by a class act, setting the example by throwing someone else's stallion out there in an attempt to deflect the thread, I guess I have a different opinion on that too.

Its sad that the breeding industry is becoming more buyer beware than it needs to be.
    At no time did anyone embellish his show record. Where are you getting this? The facts were always clear and honest. I personally am very happy with my stallion. Period.

Someone else's stallion??? Bliss MF is MY stallion also. The conversation had turned to Bliss MF for a moment and I honestly thought that's who she was talking about. And since she is from Canada and I had no idea she was here in FL I thought she might be talking about Bon Balou, who by the way is a fantastic stallion, but definitely more a jumper type. I'm so sorry I made a mistake.

Buyer beware? You and anyone else have an open invitation to visit my farm and see all my horses anytime. I have recently had many visiters to see Balt'Amour and every single on has bought a breeding to him after meeting him. Why don't you come visit instead of talking about a stallion this way that you know nothing about. We'd just love to meet you!
    www.MarabetFarm.com

Maggie, I have not said anything publicly about this for over 3 years, even though you have made public statements accusing us of injuring your stallion and preventing him from showing. You have made public statements before that his break in showing was due to his fractured shoulder and claimed it was done at the stallion test. I did not disclose private information. I am merely responding to statements you have made. But now this is getting out of hand...bruised suspensory? Really? Grasping at straws. He did come in with something that you requested us to diligently attend to by wrapping. But, because we DO respect the confidentiality of the stallion test, I will not disclose what that was. Just like we do not publicly disclose the everyday behavior of the stallions, or their temperament, or their behavior undersaddle, etc. I have my records. Perhaps you should check yours. Perhaps you should review the regulations for the Stallion Test as well. It is up to the Stallion Test team (including the veterinarians) to decipher if a stallion may or may not continue the test. Of course, we will consult with the owners as to options for the stallion. But we would NEVER send a stallion with a compromised suspensory out for the cross country. EVER.

I have no personal issue with you Maggie. I don't believe in starting a feud on a public forum, which is why I rarely post. But what we have seen in the 6 years of hosting the test is the importance of facts. Whether they may be for your detriment or benefit. And no one knows more than us (well maybe GFF at the moment) the power of public opinion. We have worked very hard to preserve stallion owners' confidence in the test, and when something comes along that may alter that, it is important to me to respond. Like I said before, I wish you no ill will, and we are happy to see him out showing. Best wishes for the future. There's no fight here to be had.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Braeburn View Post
    No one's being negative - just stating opinion on a public board of a publicly advertised standing stallion. (I though that was what it is for!)
    That's great that you are here! We should try to meet up.

Honestly it is very hurtful to have people react this way to a really nice post by Allie. She saw Balt'Amour, liked him, was impressed by him and was kind enough to say so and to be happy that he made it to the show ring and did so well. None of us cared about what ribbon he got or didn't get. All we cared about was him going into a strange ring and jumping around, which he did. When you put all your time, effort, money, hopes and dreams into raising the best possible horses you can it is so nice to have someone recognize an accomplishment, even if it was a small one. That's all. Just wish everyone could get that. I'm sorry if I am too sensitive, but this is NOT just a business to me.
    www.MarabetFarm.com

Summer my stallion did not come in with an injury or he would not have passed the first vet exam. This was your choice to go public. My stallion getting hurt was old news. Why are you suddenly making an issue of it? I called you before posting but you chose not to answer.

I will not lower myself to discuss this any further.

Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com

That's great that you are here! We should try to meet up.

Honestly it is very hurtful to have people react this way to a really nice post by Allie. She saw Balt'Amour, liked him, was impressed by him and was kind enough to say so and to be happy that he made it to the show ring and did so well. None of us cared about what ribbon he got or didn't get. All we cared about was him going into a strange ring and jumping around, which he did. When you put all your time, effort, money, hopes and dreams into raising the best possible horses you can it is so nice to have someone recognize an accomplishment, even if it was a small one. That's all. Just wish everyone could get that. I'm sorry if I am too sensitive, but this is NOT just a business to me.
    I'm sorry but when you put your stallion out there publicly and expect people pay you money to breed to him, you have to expect some public scrutiny. You have ads and a Facebook page all devoted to the marketing of this hunter stallion. I think when this happens people DO see it as a business and as a "public entity" whose value (as a hunter breeding stallion) can be discussed.

I would certainly not like it of people critiqued my horses publicly every time they showed! Certainly there are probably more bad days than good! So, I'm sorry for doing so. He was very well behaved and it is really great that he is getting out there!
    Last edited by Braeburn; Jan. 26, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: I really wish I would stay away from this board.. it never turns into anything good
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Braeburn View Post
    I'm sorry but when you put your stallion out there publicly and expect people pay you money to breed to him, you have to expect some public scrutiny. You have ads and a Facebook page all devoted to the marketing of this hunter stallion. I think that it's important that people get out there and see the stallions that they are breeding to. Obviously this is not possible for everyone all of the time so I voiced my opinion on what I saw on Thursday. No harm done.
    Goodness I didn't take any offense to your opinion! I think Balt'Amour is a Hunter stallion because of his very quiet mind and way of going. If you think he is more of a jumper type I have no problem at all with that. Never said I did! Was just confused by your statement because of the mention of Bliss MF. To date Balt'Amour has produced some really good jumping offspring that may end up in the jumper ring. He has also produced a Dressage prospect. His offspring are all still very young so time will tell!

Just noticed you said you saw him on Thursday. That explains it. Jenn was experimenting a bit in the ring as I mentioned before. She didn't ride him in her usual way.
    www.MarabetFarm.com

Just saying....

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...on-432084.html

Also post #78 on this year's test. You can see it is a fabrication based on the response directly below that.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ml#post6919495

At least this thread has made it obvious who to stay FAR away from.

6 members found this post helpful.

Chronicle Forums Statistics
    Threads 198,479 Posts 3,931,664 Members 87,884 Active Members 6,074
    Welcome to our newest member, 22spurs

Oh goodie an alter!
    www.MarabetFarm.com

Well - as I have been inadvertently / intentionally entangled in this by our newest COTH troll who should really stick to not writing bad cheques and attempting to purchase horses by using someone else's credit card ... I guess I need to clarify a few things ...

Since I owned a Bliss offspring, I was excited to hear how he had done at the test. When I called Maggie, she was very excited and said Bliss was fabulous and he jumped the oxer at the highest hole on the standard. I calculated 6' standard = 5.57736 feet and thats what I posted. MY mistake. It actually ended up being the 2nd highest hole in the standard (which you couldnt see with the pole being there) - or 1.6 metre instead. As soon as I found out that fact - I corrected my post.

REGARDLESS ... for Bliss and Bon Balou to have jumped this height as well as they did speaks volumes for the prep they both received and the talent and ability of both stallions and Im sure a lot of people will be watching both of them in the ring in the years to come to see what they are both capable of doing in their careers ...

Stallions, mares, geldings and horses in general get hurt doing the damndest things and in most cases we dont have a clue how, when or why they did it. I, for one, am really glad that Balt 'Amour has made it back into the ring whether this is his first, second or tenth show and I hope that Maggie has the ability to get him back out there several more times

Standing a stallion and promoting their offspring is always a real juggling act that Im sure most, if not all of us have had to deal with over the years. Unless you are one of the wealthy ones, you have XX number of dollars and you have to figure out how to best allocate it that year and in future years, in order for you to realize the best ROI. And that doesnt mean your stallion is lame or crazy or untalented if he doesnt show that year or only showed a few classes - it simply means you had to channel your available funds in another direction for that year in the best interests of your business...

Its a shame when a simple post like "I saw stallion XXX at this show and really liked what I saw" ends up turning into a mess ...

All the best with all of your stallions Maggie and for anyone else with stallions showing at WEF that are using this venue to showcase how nice their boys are out there in the "real world"

Goodness I didn't take any offense to your opinion! I think Balt'Amour is a Hunter stallion because of his very quiet mind and way of going. If you think he is more of a jumper type I have no problem at all with that. Never said I did! Was just confused by your statement because of the mention of Bliss MF. To date Balt'Amour has produced some really good jumping offspring that may end up in the jumper ring. He has also produced a Dressage prospect. His offspring are all still very young so time will tell!

Just noticed you said you saw him on Thursday. That explains it. Jenn was experimenting a bit in the ring as I mentioned before. She didn't ride him in her usual way.
    Okay good! I didn't mean to offend Also I just watched the video from Wednesday - you're right, much better! Clearly I just caught a training day and was too quick to judge (lord knows we all have millions of those!) I didn't see the previous mention about the bit
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook