The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Balt' Amour

I had the pleasure of meeting Balt'Amour when I took a trip down to Wellington a couple of weeks ago. On a whim, I called Maggie to ask if I could meet him and she graciously obliged. We meet her at Balt' Amour's new rider's farm to watch him go. He had only had a few rides back under saddle and this was his first time off the farm in over 2 years. What a gentleman he is. I was very impressed with how well behaved he was on the ground and around all the other horses. He took everything in stride and clocked around the course like a superstar.
    So today when I got online I was excited to see that he made it out to his first show in 2 years at WEF. He looked fantastic and placed well in a big class against some competitive horses and riders. Looks like he is well on his way to a successful season. Congrats to Maggie, his rider Jennifer and his team for a great show debut. Here are some pictures taken by Angela Pritchard.

http://marabetfarm.us/id107.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65807_10200184835198689_2035685430_n.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	37556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480699_10200184836438720_647653762_n.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	37557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	549986_10200184833318642_697013394_n.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	37558  
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

3 members found this post helpful.

I am very excited to see him out showing this winter. Congratulations to all his connections on a successful debut Wish I could make the trip to WEF to cheer him on!
    We're expecting a Balt'Amour baby in 2013 out of a very accomplished hunter mare. I can hardly wait until the end of May to meet him or her!

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow! Very impressive.... and handsome on top of that!

Quote Originally Posted by alliekat View Post
    So today when I got online I was excited to see that he made it out to his first show in 2 years at WEF. He looked fantastic and placed well in a big class against some competitive horses and riders. Looks like he is well on his way to a successful season.
    Good to see him finally hitting the show circuit, but the truth in your advertisement should read that he had one 7th place finish in a 3' Open Hunter division.

http://showgroundslive.com/esp/entri...ail/eid/428547

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlotych View Post
    Good to see him finally hitting the show circuit, but the truth in your advertisement should read that he had one 7th place finish in a 3' Open Hunter division.

http://showgroundslive.com/esp/entri...ail/eid/428547

IMO, For a horse that has had 2 years off and getting his first show under his belt since, I think he did well. Maggie says they have a ways to go but are thrilled that he went out with no prep other than the warm up ring and happily did his job. It will be exciting to see him develop over the show season.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

We are both certainly entitled to our opinions, but IMO a 10yr old stallion being ridden by a Pro in a 3' division could have much better results before I'd be tooting any horns about his performance.

10 members found this post helpful.

We are both certainly entitled to our opinions, but IMO a 10yr old stallion being ridden by a Pro in a 3' division could have much better results before I'd be tooting any horns about his performance.
    You're right.. We are all entitled to our opinions.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by alliekat View Post
    IMO, For a horse that has had 2 years off and getting his first show under his belt since, I think he did well. Maggie says they have a ways to go but are thrilled that he went out with no prep other than the warm up ring and happily did his job. It will be exciting to see him develop over the show season.
    Have to say I do agree with Zlotych. Much as he seems a sweet horse, really there are plenty of sweet horses who go out there to shows without any prep and perform as well, often better, especially at that age. I hope he does well though. I've often looked at him and thought's he's a nice sort, but I just don't understand why it seems to take so long for these nice sorts to get anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverbarley View Post
    Have to say I do agree with Zlotych. Much as he seems a sweet horse, really there are plenty of sweet horses who go out there to shows without any prep and perform as well, often better, especially at that age. I hope he does well though. I've often looked at him and thought's he's a nice sort, but I just don't understand why it seems to take so long for these nice sorts to get anywhere?
    When I was Fl. I was originally interested in seeing Bliss in person as he is who we had chose to bred our mare to but didn't want to miss the opportunity to meet Maggie in person and meet Raven (Balt' Amour.) I liked how he quickly he had taken to being back in training, as Maggie said he had a couple years off and the fact that less than a couple weeks later he was able to go show impressed me. I too have always liked him, so seeing that he is now getting an opportunity to get out and show this year is exciting.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

So, what did you think of Bliss?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    So, what did you think of Bliss?
    I didn't get a chance to meet him in person while I was there, although if his scores from the 70 day test are any indication of what I will see when I do meet him, I am very excited!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I too saw him out showing this week. Yes he seemed to be a nice sort and is handsome looking, but not a hunter in my opinion.
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Braeburn View Post
    I too saw him out showing this week. Yes he seemed to be a nice sort and is handsome looking, but not a hunter in my opinion.
    What sort do you think he is?
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

IMHO, more of a jumper type. There's nothing wrong with that - he's a lovely guy.
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.

Balt'Amour will be 9 in March. He has not been showing because I couldn't afford to show here in south FL as it is very expensive. I felt it was more important to feed my horses. He got hurt at the 2009 70 Day stallion test (when he was 6) and we were forced to give him a year off to heal. I then had a trainer start to ride him in him in early 2011 for two months but frankly I had too many horses that had to go to the ring because they were for sale. The sale horses also took priority in 2012. So I was thrilled to meet our new trainer, Jennifer, who is willing to ride Balt'Amour for a very reasonable fee just because she loves him.
    I am always surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that there always has to be someone who just wants to be negative. We are very happy with Balt'Amour's performance at his very first show, in a Hunter division where all the top professionals school their horses before their clients ride them. He walked into a ring he had never seen and jumped all the jumps nicely. He had a late change in one class (which Jenn says was her fault) and the next day Jenn was experimenting with some things on purpose so we can do our best by him. He gets no prep at all which is not true of too many other horses in the hunters. Also, since Balt'Amour was ridden for all of three weeks before he showed, obviously we thought it best to start him at 3 foot. DUH! He will move up as his conditioning improves. The last thing we want is to over face him physically. That would be just stupid. So be negative all you want but we are so happy and proud and hope for a bright future in the show ring for Balt'Amour.
    Last edited by MaggieF; Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM.
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

Quote Originally Posted by Braeburn View Post
    I'm a little confused about your statement. Bliss MF was not out showing this week. You are in Canada correct? Perhaps you are confusing him with Bon Balou?

Or were you refering to Balt'Amour? Are you here at WEF? Sorry I'm really confused! LOL!
    Last edited by MaggieF; Jan. 26, 2013 at 02:07 AM.
    www.MarabetFarm.com

Here is a link to a video of his first two classes. I actually missed the first jump (I was running but didn't get there in time) of the second class after which he had a late change. Jennifer actually lost the button off her jacket because Balt'Amour jumped the first fence so high, and she was distracted watching the button bounce along Balt'Amours braids. Then she says she looked up and realized she was half way around the corner and hadn't asked for the change! We all laughed about it!

http://youtu.be/KHmhMTKqDJI
    www.MarabetFarm.com

Stallions getting injured in the stallion testing is unfortunately too often a reality. Having other young horses to get started and directing one's resources in certain directions is another reality for most breeders the last few years. Balt'Amour is a lovely stallion who can succeed as a hunter or a jumper from what I have seen.
    As far as his age, lets harken back to the Oldenburg stallion Jupiter who also was injured in the stallion testing, and needed a good length of time to recover. His breeder pretty much ran a one woman farm and produced many lovely hunters. When he was sold on and ridden by Scott Stewart, now age 10, he was First Year Green Circuit Champion at WEF, went on to win the championship at Devon and many other prestigious venues to finish Res Ch First Year Hunter in the country. He then went on to become an extraordinary A/O Hunter champion for another 6 years retiring around 17 or so to breed full-time. I suspect Balt'Amour has many years left to prove himself and I can tell you, given the realities of hunter judging, getting noticed first time back in the ring after an extended break IS an achievement especially in Florida. I have no doubt he will continue to improve as he gets back in the groove. Lovely horse and although I do not know the owner, from what I have read she is a class act.

I liked this stallion before. I love him now after seeing this video footage. I love his jump and I also really like (and appreciate!) his "expression" on course. He isnt a comatose hunter that is crawling around a course with "0" personality and expression. He truly reminds me of what a hunter was supposed to look like years ago before all of the "prep" work sucked the very life and soul out of them and made them look like those horses you stuck a dime into at your local Walmart store so your kids could have a "ride" ...

Great job to all of his connections!

You folks can circle the wagons all you like, but my post was a truthful correction to the OP, citing the official show results.

The owner is selling breedings to this horse, and an embellished show performance/record from her OR anyone else promoting him is dishonest and misleading to potential customers.

Oh and if by a class act, setting the example by throwing someone else's stallion out there in an attempt to deflect the thread, I guess I have a different opinion on that too.

Its sad that the breeding industry is becoming more buyer beware than it needs to be.

8 members found this post helpful.