The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coolest (as in ventilation) skull cap?

My trusty Tipp Sportage is starting to get a bit rank plus it's 3 years old (from mfg date). It's what I use to ride with about 95% of the time and I am thinking about replacing it with a proper skull cap. I have a CO JR8 for the other 5% of the time when one should look best.

As you all know the Sportage is super well ventilated, and I don't think there's a jockey skull out there that comes close in the breeze department (or is there?).

So, which, in your opinion is the best ventilated skull cap? I ride in all weather up to about 90 degrees. Most I'll spend in the saddle is about 2 hrs, mostly during late spring and summer while roading hounds.

Charles Owen 4-star - really cool!!

when I was looking for a ventilated skull cap last year, the only ones I could find were by Charles Owen
    They have a couple and they vary a bit in head shape so you can likely find one that fits
    International used to make one, but I couldn't find it when I looked.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

My husband who normally rides in a CO skull cap uses a Troxel Sierra in the summer. He switched to that when he felt his head would explode in the heat. Not pretty, but does the job. More manly, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    My husband who normally rides in a CO skull cap uses a Troxel Sierra in the summer. He switched to that when he felt his head would explode in the heat. Not pretty, but does the job. More manly, too.
    Hmmm, I was afraid of that. I may just buy a CO skull and another Tipp and wear the Tipp during the hottest part of the year. Whoever came up with the Sportage is a genius.

On the manliness issue, I've always thought skull caps with the silk's brim turned up look bad a$$ on guys.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    On the manliness issue, I've always thought skull caps with the silk's brim turned up look bad a$$ on guys.
    As Miss Manners would say." Gentle reader it was not the CO to which I was referring."

I'm going to guess it'll be the Charles Owen 4star, as they put a lot of features into it to keep riders cooler. I just got mine in the mail today and it's January so I can't confirm that yet. I don't think there's anything cooler than the Tipperary Sportage though.

Tipperary also makes a skull cap. I think it's called the Titan. Looked like any other skull cap with the cover on.

Irh is coming out with one this spring I think!!!! I saw the original version and it was very well ventilated.

Quote Originally Posted by event_ryder View Post
    Tipperary also makes a skull cap. I think it's called the Titan. Looked like any other skull cap with the cover on.
    I've tried one on and it just does not fit like the Sportage AT ALL. Which is weird because the Titan looks just like a Sportage without the major ventage.

OTOH, the CO J3 fits like my head was used as a mold.

Quote Originally Posted by roki143 View Post
    Irh is coming out with one this spring I think!!!! I saw the original version and it was very well ventilated.
    I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip