The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Goldenballs! LMAO!

majikal! but a nice horse....

1 members found this post helpful.

LMAO! I guess Blueballs was out of the question? He is not a paly or buck. LMAOOOOO
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I guess he's expected to earn the name at stud. What IS this site? The worst of CL in the UK?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

IIRC, Dragon Driving is a gypsy outfit as in actual gypsies al la "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding." From my limited forays on Horse and Hound, the gypsies are not know for their good horsemanship. Bringing up gypsies and horses on Horse and Hound is sort of like mentioning Parelli here.

oy....

Hehe! He's kind of cute..... I may be way off base, but I remember seeing an interview with Victoria Beckham (years ago, before they spent so much time in the states). She referred to David Beckham as Golden balls. I'm pretty sure this was a fairly common nickname he continued to carry. It's possible this pony is named after that.

I like "Janton Philanderer" down the page.

Ugh, ugly horse with an ugly name.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    IIRC, Dragon Driving is a gypsy outfit as in actual gypsies al la "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding." From my limited forays on Horse and Hound, the gypsies are not know for their good horsemanship. Bringing up gypsies and horses on Horse and Hound is sort of like mentioning Parelli here.
    Not quite like Parelli. "Gypsies," or Travellers (the PC name) actually constitute a variety of ethnic groups throughout the UK and Ireland, who have a long history of living a nomadic lifestyle, going back to the 12th century in places like Highland Scotland, and at least the 16th century in the Lowlands, England, and the Borders. Historically, they plied trades as tinsmiths (hence the word "tinker"), horsetraders, hawkers, pearl-fisherman, and worked as seasonal labourers on farms. They are not just one monoglot group -- Highland Travellers will have a different language and tradition from Irish Travellers, and yet again from Lowland ones or those England. In some Travelling communities, oral musical and folklore traditions that died out amongst the settled population have been preserved (although less and less now).

Some Travellers will be very good horsepeople indeed. They have lengthy cultural ties to horse breeding, trading, and training. Others, not so much. A bit like settled folk, except there is a long history in the UK and Ireland of discrimination against Gypsies or Travellers and they are a marginalised group, very much on the social and economic fringes. As is the way with racism everywhere, if a settled person mistreats a horse, it's just bad horsemanship, but if a Traveller mistreats one, it's because they are a Traveller. Settled people also go a bit mental at the Traveller tradition of tethering horses or "fly-grazing." The horses, however, don't seem to mind, as for the most part, they're tethered on grass and get to munch away. Travellers, however, don't tend to leave them in stalls 24/7, unlike many settled folk with sufficiently posh horses and money. :-) Anyway, as you would find out reading Horse and Hound, there are plenty of social problems in Travelling communities, but like social problems everywhere, these tend to go hand in hand with marginalisation and socio-economic deprivation.

So aye, Parelli is a lousy analogy. He's distorted some good ideas into a magic solve all your problems and create a magic bond with your horse through some dodgy methods. The Travellers, on the other hand, have been around since before the United States was even a country, and have a long and rich cultural history that doesn't fit very well in a modern landscape of property rights and land regulation.

More importantly, Caol, can you hook me up with a Scottish hunk? Love the brogue....
    She who cares the least wins.....