The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fake Tails!!

Reaching out to COTH to see about recomnedations for fake tails! I called one lady but she is $325 for a tail.

I have a grey but his tail is extremely white, and I know those are more expensive than typical colors.

Anyways if you have had good experiences with someone and gotten a reasonable price I'd love to hear! Thanks!

That doesn't seem that unreasonable for a white tail. I paid $150 for a chestnut one 7 years ago. The white ones were about twic that back then.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    That doesn't seem that unreasonable for a white tail. I paid $150 for a chestnut one 7 years ago. The white ones were about twic that back then.
    $325 is still pretty high, even for a grey. I like the Show Pen's natural loop tails: http://www.theshowpen.com/Natural-Lo...nsion-s/25.htm (Their 1/2 lb. grey tail is $215.)

Maybe it's high for a store bought one. I thought the OP was asking about a custom mixed tail from a braider. I don't think it's that far off the mark for that.

That's average for a good grey. I've not seen a commercial tail have the multiple breaks/ layers that the good ones have that let them swing properly. Tha Ridge, are the show pen ones different? That's a good top attachment but I don't see a picture of the "innards".

My trainer picked up two tails for me this week, the black one was pretty cheap ($195) but its not a very thick one. The gray one was $425!! I had NO idea horses even needed fake tails for the hunter ring!!

Love the Show Pen tails. If you want the layers, look at the "hide on" or the imitation hide on tails. If you don't like how those attach, you can always trim the tail so it flows more naturally. I've done that with several of their tails. Great service and they are good about helping you match the color.

i'm going to back the show pen tails. when i showed hunters a few years ago, i ordered one off their site. it looked great, was easy to put in, and matched up seamlessly all for a pretty decent price!

I never thought I'd be this person, but... I think I need a fake tail. Well not me, but my horse. His tail is really quite... lacking. But I'm a fake tail virgin. Is there a good website that can explain how a fake tail goes on? Does it go in the middle of the cylinder of natural hair? Or on top?
    Help!

ETA: I had total tail envy today. Seriously, the best tail I've ever seen (it was all real). This tail I saw made me think about getting a fake tail.

I paid $275 for a mostly white/flaxen tail for my grey mare 2 years ago. Pretty sure an all white one would be quite a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    That's average for a good grey. I've not seen a commercial tail have the multiple breaks/ layers that the good ones have that let them swing properly. Tha Ridge, are the show pen ones different? That's a good top attachment but I don't see a picture of the "innards".
    A good braider can layer them for you, at least in my experience. (And it was a braider who steered me toward Show Pen in the first place.) They cater to QH people and they're the kings of fake tails.

Thanks everyone! I'll call around a bit more but I think I'll just get the custom one! I know they're pricey I was just looking for some input!

Looks like I'll be putting my next paycheck towards a tail!

"They cater to QH people and they're the kings of fake tails."

Na ah... the Appaloosa people are. Out of necessity for some of them. When my App was four, I spent a year showing with the ApHC folks to get him good ring time, and they taught me all there is to know about fake tails!

Actually, I like the good old Champion tails best. They have a natural loop and a nice thin braid. You can tie it in a couple of inches above the end of the tail bone, then use some strands from the back of the tail to tie it down along the tail bone, and it looks great even without a braided tail.
    friend of bar.ka

Um... don't you think the Saddlebred folks might take the cake when it comes to fake tails? LOL!

Nothing like a 14 foot tail floating behind your horse...

LOL Tiffani B, the QH, App, and SB folks need to have a tail contest!
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    LOL Tiffani B, the QH, App, and SB folks need to have a tail contest!
    Game on!

My former horse after I cut 3' off his tail... (sorry, no fake tail on this guy!)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1116087...41251226941570

Sent you a PM-

I love the natural loop from The Show Pen - It comes super long and you can shape and thin it as you'd like. You can send them a swatch, but I found their color chart super easy and got the right color for a grey the 1st time. They have greats prices and lots of weight options.

http://www.theshowpen.com/Natural-Lo...nsion-s/25.htm

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

If you know your colour you can always try Ebay. i bought both of mine from there very reasonably-$50 for my Tbs chestnut tail and $85 for the black and white one my Paint has.

Default Dont skimp on a fake tail!!

Fake tails are definitely an "extra" sort of accessory, however, its worth your time and money to buy a nice one the first go-round. Sort of like the Rambo blankets, costly upfront but worth their weight in gold. If you buy a cheap tail, it won't hold up as well. If you are going to be using this tail at least once a month, quality is going to be better in the long run. We have bought several from Spicy Tails, (spicytails.com). She makes them custom to what you need, thick/thin, layers, color, etc., etc.

White tails are always going to be the most expensive, unfortunately. Buy a high-end one, you will not regret it!
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Thanks everyone!

Next Question!!

What size would you recommend? My horse has a very nice tail when its not braided its fluffy but the hair is thin and whispy (it lives in a tail bag) so when it's braided it needs a fake. What size? 1/2 lbs or 1lbs? Thanks!