The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Key To The Mint?

Does anybody know whether Key To The Mint (TB) sired any well known sport horses? A friend has just bought a granddaughter, a lovely mare. I would appreciate any info.

Please post name. Key to the mint is a fabulous horse to find in any mares pedigree. The body type that follows is usually a good one, much like Vice regent, Coastal, classic substantial. The mare may have an exceptional Thbd broodmare pedigree. I can't name any hunters off the top of my head...but I would think...yes.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think the horse Joey in the movie War horse was out of a Key to the mint mare, but I could be wrong.

A friend of mine had a Key to the Mint gelding she evented. He was very attractive, a good jumper, and never outgrew his need to buck people off from time to time.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

2 members found this post helpful.

So cool about Joey!! Eek, not so much about the bucking gelding!

This mare is Beyond The Mint x Lead Article.

Small World and really cool (at least to me) I own a full sister
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/saturday+nite+lady

Love her. She is kind, sweet and has given me wonderful ISH offspring. All of her ISH have been good movers, willing, trainable and have done well in both dressage and eventing. Would love to see pics of her
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Key To The Mint shows up in on the maternal side of the AHHA stallion, Lotus T. He is also the damsire of a TB stallion named Corporate Report who has two eventing offspring with FEI passports. It's a name I love to see in sport horse pedigrees, even if there are no immediate "famous" offspring. Remember most of his offspring were destined for the race track.... Their value in producing sport horses was only appreciated after the fact.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

He's an excellent line to find. In the FEI database that I use, he's usually at grandsire or great grandsire or even farther back. For instance, he's the second damsire of Wilawander xx, a stallion promoted by Jan Greve, who has at least two Hannoverian offspring who are FEI level eventers. He's second damsire through another daughter of Santa's Playboy, a 3* event horse. He's second damsire through yet another daughter of a French jumper named Palawane de Sully. Also second damsire of Bombadier xx, who is the sire of a two star event horse. He's damsire of the stallion, Bonus Cat by Storm Cat who is the sire of another 2* event horse. As sire, he is the sire of two stallions with descendants (though mares) of UL event horses--Sauce Boat and Ziad.

He's a stallion, it would appear that needs to come in through mares.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thanks all! Horsetales here is a link to her sales ad which has some pictures. Does she look like her sister?

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-2562193.html

My friend is planning to hunt her, mostly hilltopping.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Lovely mare. Her JC name is Lead Away and she was a PA bred.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    Thanks all! Horsetales here is a link to her sales ad which has some pictures. Does she look like her sister?
    The exact same look except taller. The description of her sounds just like my mare. I would steal her and breed her in a heartbeat ;-) I hope your friend has a blast with her
    Epona Farm

Join us on Facebook

Thanks, all!

Yes this mare is a real sweetheart, I coveted her! Horsetales, your sister mare is lovely, and her progeny is drool-worthy! I will certainly keep them in mind for the future, they look like they would be fabulous to hunt, although of course with the promise of doing so much more, they seem like such great horses to do anything with.

Horsetales I PMed you.

Thank you, Key To The Mint and all the other TBs and other horses in the breeding program, and to all those who made such good breeding decisions, awesome!!

Vineyridge, Do you know if this mare was bred by Paul Labe from Oley, PA?

Appdream, the mare my friend bought (Lead Away)'s breeder is listed as Paul E. Labe from Pa. Do you know him? If you do, I wonder if he might like to know that she is in good hands, and is looking forward to a new career.

....and Mr. (or Dr.) Labe is also listed as the breeder of Vineyridge's mare, the 1994 full sister of Lead Away.

Viney, Graustark was also biased towards his daughters and their produce and is the sire of Key to the Mint. His dam, Key Bridge, was a blue hen producer -- also producing Fort Marcy (gelding), Key to the Kingdom (Bold Ruler) Key to Content (Forli) and a number of others, some unraced but produced, by different stallions. I had a Key to the Kingdom mare that I bred to Key to Content, but did not produce a foal. So I used Alcatraz, out of a Key Bridge daughter x Jacinto (Seven Locks) and got Key to the Dungeon, who won 13 or 14 races at Laurel, Pimlico and in Pennsylvania. Loved Key to the Mint -- great looking individual - big body, nice eye, great neck! Saw him on one of my trips -- he stood alongside Stage Door Johnny, Arts and Letters, Hatchet Man, Erin's Isle (sweetie!) and some others -- impressive bunch!

PennyG

I was aquainted with Paul and his handsome stallion Mint, through a former instuctor.

Beyond the Mint was huge, 17 hands or better, very well put together and had a lovely temperment. When breeding mares, Paul would have someone hold the mare in the pen, while he turned Mint out to cover her! When finished, Paul would use his cane to direct him off the mare and back to his stall. Talk about being in a scary position!

He had a very nice band of broodmares and produced some lovely foals. If the horses were not in race training, Paul often had them being worked undersaddle as plesure mounts. My instructor, had a few of his horses in for riding, mares and colts. They were very easy to handle, went well undersaddle and were eager to please.

She looks like a lovely mare. I would welcome her into my herd anytime.

Appdream, thanks for the input, great story!! It is so great to hear about all the mare's connections. A link to the past.

Yes, thanks Appdream Having a full sister, I appreciate knowing where she came from. Saturday Nite Lady has a forever home here
    Epona Farm

Join us on Facebook

You are welcome. I am sure that Paul would be happy know those two are in great homes. He did try to do the best for his horses, making sure that they were ready for another career, after they were done on the track.

If I get the opportunity to pass the information along, I will.