The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As a BO I would want to know all of that, yes.

I might not do anything about some of it, but I need to know about all of it to be able to make that decision.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

Remember- it could have been an owner who left halter/boots on, gate open, if they are rushed blah blah. A notebook log, is perfect. Record the details neatly (and without emotion) and the owner can sift through the laundry. A verbal heads up re: exposed heat source is warranted.

As a BO, I'd look at the log every day and address issues as needed, including calling you for clarification. Just remember - be brief. I'd use bullet points for clarity and keep it short:
    Mon 28-Jan
    -Dobbins halter removed
    - perimeter gates open
    - Water tank low, called you at 9:20, left message. Refilled water

Don't write a novel, but that's just me and how, as a boss, I like to get my info.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    I don't know what you think, but as a boarder I will not accept any items you mentioned. They aren't "small" things in my book, when we are talking about horses. We are talking about basic sense necessary when dealing with horses.
    I agree...halters I am fine with, but a lead rope? When the horse gets hurt, and the BO asks why you didn't say anything....You are NOT being a snitch, you are being an advocate for the horses.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Frankly, as a BO, I would be more than irritated if these things were not reported to me. How is a BO able to rectify problems if they don't know about them.

The person who is doing the "checking" on the barn/farm/horses is doing that for that reason. Anything out of line, should be mentioned to the BO.

Truthfully, if I knew that the "checker" saw problems and never told me, that's not such a great reflection on them. As far as the severity of a problem, it's up to the BO to determine what is and what is not. The BO sets the standards.

4 members found this post helpful.

Frankly, as a BO I'd be having a sit-down with all staff once weekly to get updates on various and sundry: Horse health, client issues, and yes, areas where things have been noticed that are lacking.

If I understand the OP correctly, she's being paid for night check, which means first and foremost her concern is to correct the problem as soon as she sees it. The halter on, take it off. With lead? Mention to BO at once weekly meeting. Certainly it was an oversight as are the t/o boots. Now, as far as the empty trough and sizzling heater, it may be that the staff is anticipating cleaning the trough the next day and didn't realize levels were so low. So I'd add a splash of water to keep the floater off the bottom and ask the next day.

And, for those clients who things like this never ever happen at a barn and would pull their horses at first sight of these incidences: Good luck in your barn hopping.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    I agree...halters I am fine with, but a lead rope? When the horse gets hurt, and the BO asks why you didn't say anything....You are NOT being a snitch, you are being an advocate for the horses.
    Yeah, you'd hope something like that would be a one time mistake. When I read it I thought you meant the lead rope has been left in the stall instead of hung up, not actually still attached to the horse. That is inexcusable and dangerous and definitely needs to be reported. Halter being left on overnight in a stall - not a huge deal. Water levels low w/ electric de icer - sounds dangerous to me.

Go with your gut. Having "known" you on these boards since YR Forum days, I bet your gut is telling you to report. Don't sound like a snitch, just be very business like about it. Explain that you've seen these problems & how often, and that you've corrected them. That's all you have to say. The BO would rather know than not know, because otherwise how can he/she address these issues?

Your horse is boarded there too...as a boarder, don't you want the BO to be aware of issues like this which affect the safety of the horses so they can be addressed?
    Last edited by Event4Life; Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    Tell the BO that they need to run a frequent night check themselves, without notice to the day help.
    This is something I would want to hear when I'm a BO. It is a clue there might be something amiss, without "ratting" anyone out. And then the BO can make a determination on the seriousness.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Some BOs don't want to know because then they'd have to actually take some responsibility for the problems and confront their barn helper(s)/staff/other boarders. Learned this recently. I have taken to just fixing things myself and if it's truly some kind of safety issue, I shoot the BO an email to let her know what I did--just in case things were left that way on purpose. That way I'm not tattling, but she is well aware.

I'm talking about stuff like open gates. Loose horse. Horse(s) not brought in because BO is out of town and helper doesn't want to clean stalls. Blankets all messed up and hanging haphazardly off of the horse. Water empty. Some of my more expensive tack gone.

Right now, I spend the majority of my barn visit time "fixing" stuff and plotting my escape.

At a more "normal" barn, especially if I were in your shoes and the one being paid to do night check, I'd do as others suggested and shoot her an email letting her know what you fixed. Then you're not pointing any fingers, but she is aware of what you noted. Everyone makes mistakes or forgets things on occasion but if it's something that is happening frequently, at least your BO will be aware and can do what she wishes with the information.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    I do night check at the boarding stable a couple nights a week and sometimes I notice things that the day crew slacked off on. I never know how much the BO wants to know and I don't want to seem annoying or like a tattle tale, so I usually don't mention them to her. Usually they're smaller things, like the afternoon worker forgot to take a horse's turnout boots off or someone left a horse's halter and leadrope on in their stall, but some are more bothersome and potentially dangerous. One thing that has happened a couple times that really bothers me is that the day workers are letting the water tanks where the outside horses are kept get really low. Low to the point where the de-icer is exposed and sizzling.

As a BO, would you want to know these things? ALL of these things, or only items that could potentially be very dangerous? Would you find it annoying if these items were regularly reported to you? I don't want to come off like I'm insulting the day crew.

I think a list of the actions you took during your 'rounds' would be appropriate
    a) topped off water buckets for Dobbin and Flicka (thus bo knows they are drinking more than others) b) removed halter/lead from Trigger c) all else was fine

then bo knows what you did, what he/she might want to be mindful of, etc.
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Right now, I spend the majority of my barn visit time "fixing" stuff and plotting my escape.
    Ugh, I was at a place like this once. It was exhausting! All of the workers were children or not very qualified adults, and the BO was completely uninvolved. I would spend ridiculous amounts of time just fixing things or teaching employees how to do things. I dealt with so many pull on bell boots during that time, I can't even tell you...and my horse doesn't even wear pull on bell boots. I think my favorites were removing a wayward PICKAXE from the middle of the indoor arena where it was just laying (???) and breaking up a bloody horse fight and treating the resulting injuries when a horse got turned out in the wrong place.

Ah, memories.

Since it is your job you should note anything out of the ordinary whether that be the empty trough or a horse with more feed left in the tub than normal. If you add in the horse related things you won't feel like a tattle tale (not that you would be regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by Paddys Mom View Post
    But I struggle with things like "perimeter gate left open".
    Oh, and at this barn, usually when something is amiss like this, it is from boarders themselves!
    Why would that be a struggle for you to report? You're not laying the blame on a particular person, just noting a serious bit of neglect on someone's part.

The other night, I was at the ranch. Someone had left the main tackroom not only unlocked, but wide open. I left a note on the chalkboard with the time I noticed it, and my name.

It was definitely a boarder; staff doesn't go into the tackrooms.

When I left, I locked it, checked the other tack room, and was certain to lock the entrance gate as I left.

Next morning, I had a text from the BO, thanking me for the note and reiterating that's why she does a 9p check herself: people are inattentive & things happen.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Pretty short chain of command for us, but I expect to know everything; and what I know, I give a complete information dump to my wife about. We may or may not have time to address everything every day, but when two people know the same list the odds of it getting done increase tremendously.... as does troubleshooting later on.... if a pattern develops, it can be mitigated or corrected. usually.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com