The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BOs: how much do you want to know?

I do night check at the boarding stable a couple nights a week and sometimes I notice things that the day crew slacked off on. I never know how much the BO wants to know and I don't want to seem annoying or like a tattle tale, so I usually don't mention them to her. Usually they're smaller things, like the afternoon worker forgot to take a horse's turnout boots off or someone left a horse's halter and leadrope on in their stall, but some are more bothersome and potentially dangerous. One thing that has happened a couple times that really bothers me is that the day workers are letting the water tanks where the outside horses are kept get really low. Low to the point where the de-icer is exposed and sizzling.

As a BO, would you want to know these things? ALL of these things, or only items that could potentially be very dangerous? Would you find it annoying if these items were regularly reported to you? I don't want to come off like I'm insulting the day crew.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd want to know Dangerous items, like the low water especially. Colic for horses and a burnt down tank and who knows what all else.

The small stuff... eh, don't sweat it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Tell the BO that they need to run a frequent night check themselves, without notice to the day help.

I hate snitches myself also, but agree that some things have to be mentioned. The BO should be more tuned in to be asking some questions about their operations!

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't know what you think, but as a boarder I will not accept any items you mentioned. They aren't "small" things in my book, when we are talking about horses. We are talking about basic sense necessary when dealing with horses.

15 members found this post helpful.

Have you asked the BO? She's really the only one who matters.

She could ask you to take care of the things, and make a list. She could ask you to ignore all of it. The reason to ask up front is that her response gives you the info to do your job. As in, tank de-icer burns out and needs to be replaced. She asks you if you noticed it at night check. What are you going to say, "Yes, I saw it but didn't want to tattle on the day crew?" That's not the place I'd want to be.

6 members found this post helpful.

Are you doing the night check out of the goodness of your heart or is it an agreed upon chore by you and the BO? If it is your chore then you report everything. If it is not, just report the things that concern or possibly endanger your horse.

5 members found this post helpful.

As a BO, I would have a notebook/daily calendar for each day's comments.

If Harry Pony hadn't touched his water since supper and it's 11PM and it's usually half gone by now- you top off the water but you note it in the notebook.

That is a totally non emotional way of tracking factual concerns. I would suggest offering that solution to the BO. Every day has a page, period. Even if the notes for a day are nothing more than "11:00 all is well" then...they are informed.

6 members found this post helpful.

Does the BO do a night check? If so, I would think he or she would notice these things too? If you end up fixing something for safety reasons (I DO think turnout boots left on overnight can be a safety risk, depending on the kind of boots, and I DEFINITELY think that a lead rope left on in the stall is a big risk!), then I think you should tell the BO, otherwise the BO won't know.

If they are minor things (halter left on in stall), I would just leave that go and let the BO notice it at night check. If the BO isn't doing night check, well, yes, I would mention these things...not in an angry or accusatory way - just "Hey, Horse X's halter was on, so I pulled it off."

It can be a fine line. It also somewhat depends on the BO, and how good of a relationship you have with the BO. I personally do tell my current BO if I notice something is amiss, but I also have a good relationship with her and she knows that I'm not running around pointing out any perceived shortcomings to everyone and their mother. One thing you absolutely should NOT do is run your mouth off to other boarders about these things - that will annoy any BO. If you bring things up (and I think you should for several of these things), you report it to the BO and that's that.

I generally report anything to the BO that I would want someone else to report if they noticed it and it was impacting my horse. So, like, a halter on in the stall...not such a huge deal. Water tank problems...big deal. That kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    I don't know what you think, but as a boarder I will not accept any items you mentioned. They aren't "small" things in my book, when we are talking about horses. We are talking about basic sense necessary when dealing with horses.
    I agree. As a boarder, I would be very unhappy to find my horse's halter (AND LEAD ROPE) on in the stall. None of these are small issues in my experience. Better the BO hears it from you than a boarder.

Oh! I somehow missed that you are actually DOING night check, as in the BO has asked you to do it? Well, then YES, tell the BO what you find!

I think it is one of those things that you need to ask the BO. Ask the BO if she wants to know about every little thing or nothing and you fix things (unless they require her to fix something) and that is that. I am guessing the BO will give you a spot in the middle. She does not need to know that Dobbin's halter was left on by accident but something like the water troughs being left almost empty she will want to know about.

I think the notebook is a great idea. It will allow you to list things you had to do or not do. If you do not tell the BO that Dobbin did not drink his usual amount the BO has no way of knowing, etc.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just want to clarify that there aren't ALWAYS things amiss. This barn and the care are generally pretty great, so I don't want to make it sound otherwise (there's a reason why I board there!). The BO does regularly do night check, so it's possible she's encountered these things as well.

I will catch up with the BO and mention some of these items and ask her what she would like me to do when I find issues like that (report them or not). I always correct the issues I find, so no worries there.
    Last edited by mg; Jan. 24, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not a BO but as a boarder I would DEFINITELY let the BO know... Turnout boots left on once I'd probably ignore... Halter maaaaaybe ignore if it happened once but halter AND leadrope? Seriously??? How do you even forget that?

And the water thing is unacceptable. Troughs should be full or close to it when they leave regardless, and with heaters in them important x10.

3 members found this post helpful.

My old eyeballs missed the Halter/Rope left on IN the stall. Yeah, that's another biggie in the Danger Department.

Second the Daily Check In Book
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for this thread.
    I do night checks 3 nights a week and always struggle with how much to report.
    My usual rule of thumb is that if I need the BO to intervene then I say something, like I think Dobbin needs a second water bucket.
    But I struggle with things like "perimeter gate left open".
    Oh, and at this barn, usually when something is amiss like this, it is from boarders themselves!

I think I will start a notebook!

I did an "extra eyes" day check for my trainer (also the BO) while she was away at an important show and on day one I texted her with just basic stuff. The porta potty guy came, like that. I did not mention that the water tank was bone dry in the summer and that the horses had knocked it over and were playing field hockey with it, not to her. That I pointed out to the WS who was the responsible person, after I rescued it and refilled it. I'm not sure she was aware that said tank existed, there were two in the field, the other happened to be out of use from a leak at the time, and that tank stayed topped off for the duration.

That being said, I'd talk to the BO with the little laundry list just so she knows. Maybe she needs to rearrange day tasks so people don't make errors by having too much to do too quickly - if somebody is bringing a horse in with leg wraps and they get told to do this or that sometimes they try to hop to it and either forget to take the wraps off at all or yank them off and leave them a big wad - it's counterproductive to an orderly well kept barn. We have daily condition reports for some stuff at work, it's the only way to keep track of what's broke or running out, when it got fixed, if there are consistent issues, etc.

And by all means you need to note perimeter gates left open, and if anything it should initiate a fast head count/facility recheck. There's no way to know if it was a boarder leaving or a bad guy setting something up or what.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Definitely point out hazardous things you observe, but don't sweat the small stuff.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Are you doing the night check out of the goodness of your heart or is it an agreed upon chore by you and the BO? If it is your chore then you report everything. If it is not, just report the things that concern or possibly endanger your horse.
    OP still hasn't really answered this one, and I think the answer is pretty important.

Night check is a chore that I am asked to cover and am paid for.

I would probably let things like a halter or boots slide (remove them, but not "tattle"), but the lead rope and water so low it's causing problems with an electric de-icer I would mention, especially the latter as no one wants the barn burned down!