The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dreaming of warmer weather...

and fun horse times.
    Right now, there is so much NOT going well ----- have been investigating ambiguous lameness since about Oct....one big $$ bone scan/clinic trip /still no answers, and another fast approaching first week of Feb.
    Add to that: winter. UGH. not for me. I'm not a winter rider....lapse into 'stayinthehouseitis' and depression anyway.
    Add to that: all my fun and enjoyment of the little ghetto barn project is now on hold, as we sit back, lick our wounds, and begin to talley and consult legal council in re: to all of the $6500 the crooked contractor took us for that we need to repair/replace and repay for.

SO! don't mind my little pity party....didn't really? come to do so this time, but rather:

share with me your fun trips with your horse in the Virginia/mid atlantic area? I'm going to be focused on dreaming and planning something fun instead of on the negative! Now....here's some concerns: I do NOT mind rough camping....I can deal. but, my guy is not broke to elect tape set ups...and I don't have a portable corral/panels as of now. So! suggest spots that will have outdoor stalls and sites? to camp or cabins? (James River St. Park comes to mind) with adjoining trails...or certainly other fun horsey spots that could offer things like that? ...yeah, I dunno what we'll find in diagnosis for the boy, but it will pass the time until then in a positive 'look forward to' way! Oh...and (!) for something COMPLETELY different:

Suggest as well, if you have any suggestions that would fit: A dream trip of a lifetime, for riders: myself and my 24yr daughter....but also for: my sainted sweet spry non rider 79 yr old mom. Would love Ireland, or anything (!) suggested that : is gorgeous...fun but not scarey dangerous riding, that allows real riding, (myself, I love the inn to inn things? but don't see? how that would work for my mom)......jeeze I'm open to anywhere....its dream time.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I love Penmerryl Farm in Greenville(off I-81). Lovely facility with lodge rooms or cabins to rent, large barn with stalls and pasture options(mostly wood fencing). They have tons of trails, a dressage ring, jumping ring, cross country course and an indoor. There is a swimming pool, tennis court, and a small lake with paddle boats. Of course, there is my other favorite- Windrush on the Eastern Shore. I haven't been to James River in several years, but that is fun, access to lots of trails. Have you tried any of the ACTHA rides? Those are fun. I usually rough camp and purchase the meals so I don't have to deal with packing food. Or you come camp with me at Belmead which is a private riding club that is approximately 2000 acres. It would be rough camping, but there is a setup of round pen panels to make a couple of paddocks.Good luck with lameness diagnosis.

Simbalism! How are ya!?
    Had to grin as: your favorite spots are mine!!! It was via you that I found Penmerryl...before the lameness started up, I had Dillon up there this past year...and loved it !!! Deanie and family are just SO wonderful! I had planned a really fun trip back with riding friends I have camped with at the Eastern Shore Trail Ride, and by the time our trip came around lameness was preventing taking my horse. but, I went anyway and while it was sad not to ride, it was a fun getaway. Of course, Windrush is my home away from home and Eleanor is a very very dear friend. Haven't done an ACTHA ride, but want to...its just the buying my own panels, etc, if that particular ride doesn't offer stalling.....I DO want to try James River because of the horse camp area with covered stalls (!) for that reason, and I'm certainly game (!!! ) to come camp with you at Belmead if you'll have me! Thanks SO much for the offer....keep your fingers crossed for my pony's diagnosis, and we'll stay in touch !!!!!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

humm 82F yesterday, was spraying for flys

AAAAACK! Clanter...NOT NICE.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett