The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Roached mane questions.

I have been roaching my boys mane this winter as it is too cold to wash it, and it just gets gross if I don't. It is quite a good look on him and I have been thinking about keeping it that way for show season (saves money on braiding). The only thing is, I have not roached his forelock. He's one of those horses with a smaller forelock and I fear if I shave it off, it will never grow back. So the question is, would it be looked down upon if I show in the hunters with a roached mane and a braided forelock? Would that look too ridiculous? I plan to show in several A shows this year.

Also, how much hair growth would still be considered acceptable to show with? Do I need to roach it again right before each show, or would about .5 inch or so of growth be acceptable?
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

I showed with a roached mane for years as my horse could not stand being braided. I did braid his forelock which was VERY thin and wispy. I would roach about a week or so before the show and then do the bridle path right before we left for the show so there was some differentiation. Several people assumed he was braided on the other side and some came to know him as the horse with the roached mane. My horse did have a great neck so could carry this off.

When I was a junior years and years ago Jimmy Williams once roached all his horses manes when braididing prices went up!

In my dressage travels, I have seen a number of horses w/ roached manes; all kept and braided the forelock. And as noted in previous post, all kept their manes well trimmed, tidying up a few days prior to shows. If your shows are close together, you can probably skip one trimming, but you add an inch to a roached mane and it won't look as good.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Yep, keep the forelock and braid it... totally normal.

Excellent! Thanks Everyone!
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Aren't roached manes so easy? And They already give you a nice neat look for shows (no flyaway braids!). I roached my mare's mane at her previous home because the ticks in the pasture were horrible. No mane, no ticks. Somehow her tail stayed almost tick free.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think a roached mane would look great on a horse with a nice neck. Anyone care to share pictures for us to admire?

I have let my OTTB's mane grow out (currently about 8" long). She has the world's wussiest forelock, so my plan was to "harvest" her mane to make a lovely prosthetic forelock for special occasions (e.g. trail riding with my western friends). So if I roach her mane, how long till it will be an appropriate length for braiding (ball park figure of course). I'm thinking maybe the big cut should be Feb 1st so I will have something to braid by horse show season (April/May). Thanks to anyone who can provide any wisdom on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    I have let my OTTB's mane grow out (currently about 8" long). She has the world's wussiest forelock, so my plan was to "harvest" her mane to make a lovely prosthetic forelock for special occasions (e.g. trail riding with my western friends). So if I roach her mane, how long till it will be an appropriate length for braiding (ball park figure of course). I'm thinking maybe the big cut should be Feb 1st so I will have something to braid by horse show season (April/May). Thanks to anyone who can provide any wisdom on the topic.
    I don't know how quickly your horse's mane grows, but I would not suggest roaching it now unless you want to roach it all season. My guy's mane was roached at the end of August, and is only just now long enough to braid. However, it could be Apollo's mane just grows slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    I think a roached mane would look great on a horse with a nice neck. Anyone care to share pictures for us to admire?
    I roach my OTTB gelding's mane - I refuse to braid LOL!

Link to a NIHJA schooling show where he was ridden by my trainer (I was out of town at a family event) - roached mane and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW3DU_PfSsM
    Inese

I'm going to ask my trainer about roaching my guy's mane. He HATES having his main pulled and lacks the patience for braiding. About 1/2 way through he starts to fidgit. Without braiding, he mane is almost impossible to train.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by norcalammie View Post
    When I was a junior years and years ago Jimmy Williams once roached all his horses manes when braididing prices went up!
    Hate to say I remember that..and I was no Junior.

But he later shared that it had a double benefit because his riders lost their "grab handle"-this from a man who routinely took the leathers off new clients saddles...as in removed them right out of the tack room and locked them up. For weeks.

I always thought that had more to do with it then any increase in braiding costs...with the cost of membership to even ride at Flintridge RC and the fact you did not see to many showing on a shoestring budget out of there? Did not make that much sense it was solely braiding costs-didn't work if it did, prices stayed where they were.

But remember, if you roach? You do remove your grab handle.

Otherwise you can't even tell from further then 10 feet if you braid the forelock and nobody cares that much.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'm so tempted to roach....I'm almost converted...
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Just a suggestion, but how bought just letting his bridle path grow out and just use that as the fake forelock? then you can shave it without worrying about it growing back. Then you can just pull the rest of the mane and have a normal amount left for braiding. It's really risky to roach now and expect it to grow back by April, especially because if it doesn't you'll probably have to roach it through the rest of the show season.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    I'm so tempted to roach....I'm almost converted...
    Do it. It will always grow back if you don't like it. And the ease of care will get you hooked!

Inspired by this thread, I roached both of mine this morning.

The Fjord looks even more adorable than she did before, and my gelding now is tall, dark, and handsome *and* spiffy/clean-cut. I did leave a little bit near the withers on both for mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Do it. It will always grow back if you don't like it. And the ease of care will get you hooked!
    ENABLER!! tomorrow may be the day...
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    I roached some of the horses' manes at my barn this past summer when they got rubbed by the round bale holders. It was a surprisingly good look on all of them, from the fat Haffie to my skinny TB. Here's my guy.

Before his haircut
    Right after (it did look better than this in person, this is a funky pic angle)
    About 2 months later (please ignore the ridiculous jumping form and focus on his pretty neck instead )

I roached it in May and had enough to pull by October, but his mane grows pretty fast. Whoever said you lose your grab handle is right! I roached it May 1, made a goal that same day to get him over a 3' jump by the end of the summer, and jumped him 3'3 May 2. All I could think was "sh*t there's no mane!" Actually, I said that out loud going over it the first time. Made my boss laugh!

When I roached my horse's mane I left a normal forelock. Had I shown him rated, I would have done a normal forelock braid.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Here's Tango! Former racehorse, then polo pony (hence the roached mane), now hunter-in-training. Growing out her mane so it can be braided, but did show her this way at the TB Celebration show in November. 4th out of 40 in the hack with her slightly grown out roach mane!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psf9f28f17.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psfa634658.jpg